#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Cat ZinganoTo say the past couple weeks have been a roller coaster ride for women’s MMA standout Cat “Alpha” Zingano would be an understatement.

Originally scheduled to make her Strikeforce debut on the undercard of their Sept. 29 show, Zingano became a casualty of the event’s cancellation following the injury to main event headliner Gilbert Melendez.

Things however managed to work out as a couple days following the cancellation; Zingano got the call to step into Invicta FC for their Oct. 3 show in Kansas City, Kan.

“It was devastating to hear the news (of the cancellation),” said Zingano. “I didn’t feel I had finished what I started, so mainly I was just really sad. Myself, my coaches, my family, my manager, everyone had put so much work into that camp, I felt bad for everyone.

“(The Tuesday following the cancellation) my husband, Mauricio, and I were out having lunch and he said he had a gut feeling that things would work out somehow. Two hours later he got the call from my manager, Ricky (Vasquez), and everything was back in motion.”

Zingano said it didn’t take her long to get back into fight mode.

“I took the rest of that day off to gather my thoughts and refocus and woke up the next day with a lot of ‘go’ in me,” she said. “I trained hard twice that day to be ready to go (on Oct. 3).”

Originally scheduled to face Amanda Nunez at Strikeforce, Zingano will instead be facing Raquel Pennington.

When asked how the change of opponent would affect her training just over a week before Invicta, Zingano replied, “I don’t ever make strategies, I train in all areas of my game and I don’t think about what they are going to do.

“I think about what I’m going to do in a fight, so regardless of the opponent I know I trained the best I could and as hard as I could.”

While she is happy to be part of Invicta for their upcoming show, Zingano’s future resides in Strikeforce and it’s there that she’ll finally get the opportunity to show the nation why she’s one of the premier fighters in women’s MMA.

“I think what happened was unfortunate, but I’m looking forward to working with Strikeforce,” said Zingano.

“Strikeforce was kind enough to let me take this fight with Invicta, but I’m still under contract with them and will be ready to go when they decide when and where I’ll be fighting next.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC and other MMA news.

Galleries

Cat Zingano Fights

• a year ago

Comments

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Oct. 24: Where does Darren Till land with his upset of 'Cowboy'?

Darren Till stayed unbeaten this past Saturday and worked his way into the upper echelon of the welterweight division. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, MMA Rankings, News, UFC read news >>

Jennifer Maia puts 125 title on line vs. Agnieszka Niedzwiedz at Invicta FC 26 in December

Invicta FC will return in December, a week later than previously reported, and the flyweight title will be on the line in the main event.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC 217 Athlete Outfitting pay: 3 title fights help move 2017 payout past $5 million

Fighters from Saturday’s UFC 217 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Invicta FC 26 Gets Three New Bouts | MMAWeekly.com

Invicta Fighting Championships today announced a flyweight replacement and three new bouts for Invicta FC 26. read news >>

Dustin Poirier trying to move past Alvarez debacle, believes win over Pettis has him in title mix

On the heels of what at the time likely was the biggest opportunity of Dustin Poirier’s career, he has one Saturday that could top it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Matt Brown having second thoughts about retirement heading into UFC-Norfolk

Matt Brown is only a couple months removed from saying UFC Fight Night 120 against Diego Sanchez would be his final walk to the cage.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Sage Northcutt sharp in return, cruises past Michel Quinones

After 11 months on the sidelines, Sage Northcutt looked sharp in his return to lightweight, cruising to a decision win over Michel Quinones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mackenzie Dern signs with Invicta FC, meets Kaline Medeiros in Kansas City

Mackenzie Dern is heading to Invicta FC with an eye on staying unbeaten in her pro career. Filed under: News read news >>

Jiu-Jitsu Ace Mackenzie Dern Inks Invicta FC Deal with an Eye on the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Multiple-time jiu-jitsu world champion Mackenzie Dern has inked a deal with Invicta FC, which could finally give her followers the answer to the question, "When are you going to fight in the UFC?" Af read news >>

Mackenzie Dern makes Invicta FC debut in December

As one of the top Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioners on the planet and the daughter of BJJ royalty, Mackenzie Dern is used to having the spotlight on her. On Dec. 8, the spotlight on the unbeaten pros read news >>