Condit and MacDonald met at UFC 115 in 2010, and while the young Canadian won the first two rounds with takedowns and ground work, the fight was decided in the final stanza.
Knowing he was down on the judges’ scorecards, Condit came out and absolutely demolished MacDonald in the third round, getting the TKO stoppage with only seven seconds left in the fight.
Ever since that moment, two things have been a constant – Rory MacDonald hasn’t lost, and he also hasn’t stopped thinking about it.
“I was just laying there getting beaten on, my face looked like I was the guy from “The Goonies” after. I was embarrassed about my performance and how I held myself,” MacDonald said at the UFC on Fox 5 post fight press conference.
“It did a lot of damage and I don’t think I’ve been the same person since, so I want to get that back.”
The UFC also seemed interested in putting the rematch together, and now Team Condit has responded as well.
When asked about a potential Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald showdown, he seemed more than interested in making it happen.
“Carlos Condit doesn’t back down from any man,” said Kawa. “If the UFC asks us to fight Rory MacDonald, Carlos will take the fight.”
One point of contention that will have to be decided however if the UFC opts to do the rematch is where it takes place.
Following his win over B.J. Penn on Saturday, MacDonald asked to face Condit in Montreal, where he trains and lives currently. Condit actually fought MacDonald in Vancouver the first time, which is just hours away from where the young Canadian actually hails.
So for the rematch, Kawa says that if MacDonald is gunning for Condit, why not make it happen in the fight capital of the world, Las Vegas.
For now, Condit is still resting and recovering from his last fight against Georges St-Pierre at UFC 154, and the promotion has yet to officially offer him any bout.
It seems likely however with both Condit and MacDonald interested, a rematch in 2013 could very well take place.
Former UFC welterweight title challenger and current Bellator contender Rory MacDonald didn’t hold back during today’s Reddit AMA.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
Carlos Condit is looking for a fight. The former UFC interim welterweight champion, who has been out of action since August 2016, dropped a message on Twitter to matchmaker Sean Shelby letting him kn read news >>
Former interim welterweight champ Carlos Condit emerged on Twitter with a request for UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Lauren Murphy, a former Invicta FC bantamweight champion with four UFC fights to her name, didn’t feel like an MMA veteran earlier this year. Then she joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter and ever read news >>
Darren Till has choice words for those who question his UFC Fight Night 118 headliner against Donald Cerrone, especially Brendan Schaub.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Carlos Felipe was slated to make his UFC debut next month, but that’s not happening anymore.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Incoming UFC heavyweight Carlos Felipe was pulled from the upcoming UFC Fight Night 119 fight card. read news >>
(Courtesy of UFC) The stars of Fight Night Japan faced off after Tuesday's media day. No. 6 ranked light heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux welcomes Yushin Okami back to the Octagon on Friday. TRENDING > read news >>
After putting out a call for an opponent – at lightweight or welterweight – Jim Miller will remain at 155 pounds.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>