Carlos Condit wants to clear up a few misconceptions about some things he’s supposedly said lately.
The UFC’s reigning interim champion has been out of action since February when he won the belt with a unanimous decision victory over Nick Diaz.
But lately Condit’s come under fire for a number of things that he really didn’t have any control over. First off, there’s the ideology that Condit was just sitting and waiting for the return of UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, and turned down defending his interim title in the meantime.
Well, according to Condit the fight the UFC has offered him has been the bout with St-Pierre to unify the titles, and it’s definitely the fight he wants.
“I don’t make the matches. If UFC wanted me to fight somebody else, they’re the boss, they can ask me to fight and I would be up for it. They want me to fight Georges St-Pierre, and that’s who I want to fight as well, so that’s what I’m going to go with,” Condit said in an interview with Fuel TV on Friday following UFC on FX 3.
St-Pierre is still rehabbing his surgically repaired knee after tearing his ACL, but his current schedule will put him back in the Octagon in the latter part of 2012. Despite some reports that have stated the Canadian champion may be a little behind schedule, everything that Condit has been told is that they are targeting a showdown for November in St-Pierre’s hometown of Montreal.
“As far as I know, I’ve seen some videos recently of him out running, doing sprints, doing some of his rehab and conditioning, looks good. As far as I know, we’re on for November 17th, and if anything changes then we’ll kind of reconsider our options,” said Condit.
Those options somehow got muddied recently after Condit was asked about who he would like to fight in the event St-Pierre isn’t ready come November. His answer was simple – he would like to face the one person in the UFC that holds a win over him, Martin Kampmann.
But somehow the part about facing Kampmann only if St-Pierre wasn’t ready got lost, and Condit was now passing over Johny Hendricks and wanted the Kampmann fight instead of GSP. It couldn’t be further from the truth however.
“The question that was put to me was ‘if Georges isn’t ready to fight in November, who would you like to fight?’ and so my answer to the question was Martin Kampmann. He was my first loss in the UFC, my only loss (in the UFC), my only loss in the last six years or so. Not taking anything away from Johny Hendricks, he’s obviously a top contender, had some great wins recently, but it’s a more compelling fight. It’s a fight I was absolutely be motivated for if Georges isn’t ready,” said Condit.
“Georges is the guy I have my eye on and as far as I know he’s going to be ready to go in November.”
In Condit’s eyes his next fight will be with Georges St-Pierre in November and that’s what the UFC has set forth for him as well, and it doesn’t appear anything is likely to change.
UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is tired of waiting around for Jon Jones. He's laid down an ultimatum, it's now or never. read news >>
Following a disappointing TKO loss to Robert Whittaker earlier this month, UFC middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza opted for surgery and will be on the shelf for the next few months.Filed under: New read news >>
Georges St-Pierre vs. Michael Bisping never made a whole lot of sense. Even as UFC President Dana White appeared on Sportscenter on March 1 to make the official announcement, this matchup had its pro read news >>
If he wasn't clear enough already, Al Iaquinta made his stance with the UFC crystal clear on Thursday. read news >>
Anderson Silva has threatened to retire if he isn't granted an interim title fight against Yoel Romero on June 3, but UFC president Dana White doesn't sound ready to give in to the Brazilian's demand read news >>
Did Georges St-Pierre’s slow ramp up to a UFC return prove to be his undoing? Is Bellator really going to give more former UFC champs a chance to come back? Why don’t more people see Stipie Miocic as read news >>
UFC 211 was a breath of fresh air for MMA fans. 2017 has been a flop of a year thus far, and Saturday night's card marked the year's first true "event." The company's next foray onto pay-per-view com read news >>
UFC President Dana White said Wednesday night that he has completed negotiations with Conor McGregor in hopes of setting up a showdown against Floyd Mayweather Jr. later this year. Appearing on TNT's read news >>