#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Gokhan Saki #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Saint Preux #Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83

When UFC 151 was cancelled last week, Charlie Brenneman let UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones know via Twitter he was to blame.

In fact, Brenneman, who was scheduled to fight Kyle Noke on the Sept. 1 card, also let Jones know when his rent is due and where Jones could send the check Brenneman would have received for competing.

“That was pure frustration,” Brenneman told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show. “Mad? No, not necessarily. Frustrated? Yes. I took everything into consideration. I’m not one of the people who say, ‘Jon Jones said no. He screwed everything up.’ It was more than that. I kind of looked at the situation, looked at all the details, understood why he said no and then made my opinion known, then voiced my frustration. It wasn’t just the naive, ‘Oh, it’s all his fault.’ It was more of an educated, calculated frustration.”

Jones had been set to fight Dan Henderson in the main event, but when Henderson withdrew due to an injury and Jones declined a short-notice bout against Chael Sonnen, the UFC cancelled the show.

“Even my wife was like, ‘Why are you mad at him? Why aren’t you mad at Dana White?’” Brenneman said. “But to me, from a fighter’s standpoint, taking into consideration what I know -- and granted, I don’t know everything -- but what I know from the situation, he’s been training for a fight. He’s ready to go. He’s the champion. He was offered a challenger who was a weight class below him. If [Sonnen’s] been training, he’s been training for maybe 10 days. ... Based on that, the surrounding details, I can say I would have taken the fight. I can say that a lot of other people would have taken the fight as well.”

In June 2011, Brenneman accepted a fight against Rick Story on one day’s notice. Brenneman won, too, stunning the welterweight contender via unanimous decision. While Jones was in a somewhat different position as a champion, Brenneman believes that was even more reason for him to fight Sonnen.

“If you’re champ, you’re the champ,” Brenneman said. “That means, yeah, you probably make the most money, but it also means that you’re the face of Nike, you drive a Bentley, you are the face of the UFC. Those are big things. I don’t get that. None of my immediate friends get that. Frankie Edgar, who’s been champ, forever one of the best fighters in the UFC, he didn’t get that. It’s those kind of extra bonuses that then kind of put you in a position where you might have to do things that you don’t necessarily want to do.”

Brenneman’s bout against Noke has since been moved to UFC 152 on Sept. 22. He’ll get his fight purse then, but it won’t cover all of the expenses resulting from UFC 151 being cancelled.

“We have to cover my wife’s flight,” Brenneman said. “All these airlines offer a ‘rebate,’ but then there’s a several-hundred-dollar activation fee for the rebate. We have to cover those costs. I know my brother and my parents, my aunt and uncle, they all lost out on money and that’s money that I will give them. I’m sure they will tell me, ‘No, don’t give it to me,’ but that’s several hundred, maybe a thousand bucks. My one corner, he purchased his flight. Got to change that to Canada, got to cover that difference. So yeah, there’s a lot of stuff, not to mention I’m primed. I’m physically primed. I’m ready to fight Sept. 1 and I can’t do that.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 3:05).

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic didn't know UFC planned Jon Jones fight, wants better contract

Stipe Miocic simply wants to get paid what he feels is right as the UFC heavyweight champion.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Jones issues cryptic tweet one week after second drug fail

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is facing a potential four-year suspension and the loss of his undisputed title. But to read his Twitter feed on Sunday, you’d think he had not a care in the read news >>

UFC Commentator Joe Rogan Says Jon Jones Is the 'No. 1 F--kup of All Time'

Last week hosted one of the biggest combat sports extravaganzas of all time, but it wasn't all fun and games. There was a dark cloud hanging over those festivities in the form of the announcement tha read news >>

CSAC executive director: UFC champ Jon Jones situation 'doesn't make any sense'

Why would Jon Jones fail a pre-fight drug test that he knew about while passing two surprise tests weeks earlier? Could a tainted supplement really be to blame, or did he take one thing thinking it w read news >>

Jon Jones passed blood test after UFC 214, different from urine test failure, USADA explains

A USADA spokesperson urges letting “due process occur before jumping to any conclusions” on Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Nunes Seeks 2nd Title Defense vs. Shevchenko in UFC 215 Main Event

Two months after title fight was cancelled the morning of the fight, Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko are finally ready for their rematch with the women's bantamweight championship on the line i read news >>

UFC 215's Ilir Latifi not ready to judge Jon Jones during turbulent time for 205-pound division

Regardless of what happens with Jon Jones, Ilir Latifi believes the UFC light heavyweight division will thrive.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White isn't optimistic about UFC champ Jon Jones' B sample, laments what could've been

In two words, UFC President Dana White sums up the Jon Jones situation after a failed drug test: “It’s bad.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>