#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Stipe Miocic #Max Holloway #Mike Perry #GSP

EDMONTON – Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has been out of competition for more than a year, and while his return is starting to loom, he’s reluctant to put an exact date on when he’ll be able to fight again.

The past several years of Velasquez’s (14-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC) career have been nothing short of challenging. Injuries have restricted him to competing just twice in a nearly four-year stretch, with his most recent bout being a first-round TKO of Travis Browne at UFC 200 in July 2016.

Once touted as the man who could rule the heavyweight division for as long as he desired, Velasquez, 35, hasn’t been able to stay consistently healthy. He wants to make sure there’s no doubt when he returns to the octagon, even if it requires putting it off until next year.

“When I come back I want to make sure I’m 100 percent healthy,” Velasquez told MMAjunkie at a Bud Lite Living Rooms event today in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. “I owe it to the fans, and I owe it to me. I can’t mess around anymore. I have to be ready. … I’m about 80 percent. I would say sometime next year I’ll be ready to fight.”

In the meantime, Velasquez, No. 4 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA heavyweight rankings, said he and his wife are expecting their second child in November. He’s enjoying spending his time with family, but he’s also been keeping an eye on happenings in the heavyweight division.

During Velasquez’s absence, current champ Stipe Miocic (17-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) has evolved into arguably the most dominant titleholder in divisional history. Miocic has knocked out his past four opponents inside the first round, making quick work of the likes of Junior Dos Santos, Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum, and more.

“The way that he’s gone out there and won (is) definitely impressive,” Velasquez said. “He looks great out there. Good for him.”

Although Velasquez has been impressed with Miocic’s performances, he’s not going to demand a title upon his return. Velasquez would certainly take the fight if offered but said if the UFC brass feels the need to see him prove he’s healthy, he’s understanding of that as well.

“I think whoever the UFC wants to put in front of me (I’ll fight),” Velasquez said. “I’m all for taking those big challenges. Whoever they want to put in front of me, that’s how I’ve always been.”

For more on the upcoming UFC schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Cain Velasquez Fights

• a year ago

Stipe Miocic Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Francis Ngannou vs. Stipe Miocic Is Dream Matchup for UFC Heavyweight Title

Francis Ngannou's thunderous, one-punch knockout of Alistair Overeem Saturday at UFC 218 was instantly the stuff of legend. If you happen to be another fighter in the UFC's heavyweight division? Perh read news >>

UFC champ Stipe Miocic – the underdog? He is against Francis Ngannou

For the first time since his title-winning victory, UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic is the underdog.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA rankings, Dec. 5: Ngannou now among pound-for-pound best

UFC heavyweight title contender Francis Ngannou officially has arrived after just four years in MMA.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC read news >>

Stipe Miocic Sends a Not So Subtle Message to Francis Ngannou After UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

Francis Ngannou is a ferocious knockout puncher but he's still not the heavyweight champion of the world. That's the message Stipe Miocic had for the hard-hitting fighter who earned a title shot on S read news >>

Mark Hunt returns, meets Curtis Blaydes at UFC 221 in Australia

After questions about his future in the sport, veteran UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt is returning to the cage – close to home, no less.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou Heavyweight Title Fight Announced for UFC 220

UFC has confirmed that heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic will defend his title against Francis Ngannou in January. Per a tweet from UFC, Miocic vs. Ngannou will take place at UFC 220 on Jan. 20 at th read news >>

UFC President Dana White: Alistair Overeem vs. Francis Ngannou winner gets next shot at champ Stipe Miocic

UFC President Dana White has gone on record and named UFC 218’s Alistair Overeem vs. Francis Ngannou matchup as a No. 1 contender fight.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Francis Ngannou is getting extra bonus check, and he's using it on UFC champ Stipe Miocic

Francis Ngannou didn’t get an official UFC 218 fight-night bonus, but he’s been promised some extra cash, and he knows exactly how he’s going to use it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Stipe Miocic Defends Heavyweight Title Against Francis Ngannou in Main Event at UFC 220 | MMAWeekly.com

Miocic faces Ngannou in the headliner as the UFC returns to Boston read news >>

UFC Rising Stars: Francis Ngannou | MMAWeekly.com

Since his 2015 debut, UFC heavyweight Francis Ngannou has rocked the division with his five finishes and seemingly limitless ceiling. read news >>