#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Fight Night Rotterdam #Demetrious Johnson #Anderson Silva #Jose Aldo

EDMONTON – Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has been out of competition for more than a year, and while his return is starting to loom, he’s reluctant to put an exact date on when he’ll be able to fight again.

The past several years of Velasquez’s (14-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC) career have been nothing short of challenging. Injuries have restricted him to competing just twice in a nearly four-year stretch, with his most recent bout being a first-round TKO of Travis Browne at UFC 200 in July 2016.

Once touted as the man who could rule the heavyweight division for as long as he desired, Velasquez, 35, hasn’t been able to stay consistently healthy. He wants to make sure there’s no doubt when he returns to the octagon, even if it requires putting it off until next year.

“When I come back I want to make sure I’m 100 percent healthy,” Velasquez told MMAjunkie at a Bud Lite Living Rooms event today in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. “I owe it to the fans, and I owe it to me. I can’t mess around anymore. I have to be ready. … I’m about 80 percent. I would say sometime next year I’ll be ready to fight.”

In the meantime, Velasquez, No. 4 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA heavyweight rankings, said he and his wife are expecting their second child in November. He’s enjoying spending his time with family, but he’s also been keeping an eye on happenings in the heavyweight division.

During Velasquez’s absence, current champ Stipe Miocic (17-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) has evolved into arguably the most dominant titleholder in divisional history. Miocic has knocked out his past four opponents inside the first round, making quick work of the likes of Junior Dos Santos, Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum, and more.

“The way that he’s gone out there and won (is) definitely impressive,” Velasquez said. “He looks great out there. Good for him.”

Although Velasquez has been impressed with Miocic’s performances, he’s not going to demand a title upon his return. Velasquez would certainly take the fight if offered but said if the UFC brass feels the need to see him prove he’s healthy, he’s understanding of that as well.

“I think whoever the UFC wants to put in front of me (I’ll fight),” Velasquez said. “I’m all for taking those big challenges. Whoever they want to put in front of me, that’s how I’ve always been.”

For more on the upcoming UFC schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Cain Velasquez Fights

• a year ago

Stipe Miocic Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Stipe Miocic Has Eyes On Next UFC Heavyweight Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic hasn't fought since May, but he's got his sights set on his next fight. read news >>

Newcomer Carlos Felipe Pulled from UFC Fight Night 119 for Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Incoming UFC heavyweight Carlos Felipe was pulled from the upcoming UFC Fight Night 119 fight card. read news >>

Francis Ngannou vs. Alistair Overeem booked as UFC 218 co-headliner in Detroit

UFC heavyweight prospect Francis Ngannou won’t get a title shot as he wished, but he will get an ex-champion in Alistair Overeem.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Stipe Miocic is the UFC champ who also cleans toilets as a firefighter

Stipe Miocic’s reward for becoming top dog in the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s biggest and baddest division was to be handed a mop and a plunger and ordered to swab floors and unblock a toilet. read news >>

With a 5-1 UFC run and then back-to-back losses, Alan Jouban is focused on 1 thing

Alan Jouban is expecting to fight again this year after suffering back-to-back losses for the first time in his career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch Fabricio Werdum Choke Out Cain Velasquez to Unify the Belts (UFC 216 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Fabricio Werdum unified the heavyweight belt with his win over Cain Velasquez at UFC 188 in 2015. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum faces 'zero, zero pressure,' will try to finish Derrick Lewis on mat at UFC 216

Former UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum knows Derrick Lewis can’t match him on the mat, so he plans to take the fight there.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Relive Fabricio Werdum's UFC 180 KO of Mark Hunt (Fight Flashback) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Fabricio Werdum defeat Mark Hunt for the UFC heavyweight interim title at UFC 180. read news >>

Derrick Lewis' plan vs. Fabricio Werdum? 'Swing until hopefully I hit something'

UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis’ back isn’t 100 percent, but he’s still confident he’ll beat ex-champ Fabricio Werdum at UFC 216 with his trademark aggression.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier now targets 2018 for title defense against Volkan Oezdemir

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier expects to defend his title in early 2018, facing upstart Volkan Oezdemir in his first challenge since being re-crowned as the titleholder.Filed under: N read news >>