There are a lot of reasons that someone would accept a slot as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series. Maybe it’s a grudge that needs to be settled, like in the case of Rashad Evans and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, or maybe it’s just for the exposure the show provides.

For TUF 13 coach Brock Lesnar the motivation to go on the show was pure and simple.

It earned him a fight that will get him closer to regaining the UFC heavyweight title that he lost last year.

The former NCAA champion is already one of the most well known figures to ever compete in the UFC, but Lesnar admits that there are certain things that haunt him about the fight with now champion Cain Velasquez. He’s looking to exorcise those demons with the reality show and the fight with Junior Dos Santos.

“I was healthy physically, but mentally probably not so,” Lesnar said about his fight with Velasquez. “I don’t think it really registers to the general public on my year last year. From being sick and losing 42 pounds and just getting my ass to the gym to recover. Then have a title fight and on top of that, while I’m training for a title fight, a new baby boy, and then fighting Shane Carwin and I was expecting some time off.

“I really needed it mentally more than anything and physically. Then I booked the fight against Cain. If there was one thing that I could learn from that is to maybe spread title fights out a little farther than what I did.”

Hindsight is 20/20, but Lesnar is now focused on the goal of getting ready for the fight against Dos Santos in June at UFC 131, and then facing Velasquez with the title on the line.

The Minnesota resident admits that was the biggest reason for him to do “The Ultimate Fighter.” He hopes that motivation serves him well in June. He also knows that he would have had to fight Dos Santos eventually, so this all works out pretty well.

“Analyzing my loss against Cain, if I had won that fight I’d be fighting Junior, so I’m right back in the same position, but absolutely, it’s the closest thing to getting me a title fight, and getting my UFC heavyweight title back,” Lesnar commented.

One thing that won’t likely be showcased on this season of “The Ultimate Fighter” is a standing grudge between Lesnar and Dos Santos. In past seasons, with coaches like Evans and Jackson or even Dan Henderson and Michael Bisping, there always seemed to be a fuse just waiting to be lit any time the coaches interacted with each other.

Lesnar threw water on that idea right away because simply put, he didn’t spend enough time around Dos Santos to build a grudge during the show.

“I don’t know what them guys are referring to. I probably spent a total of 30 minutes with Junior on the show. I didn’t make it a point to run into him or anything of that nature. I saw very little of him other than what we were doing for television,” Lesnar disclosed.

Regardless of any pent up aggression boiling over from six weeks together on the show, Lesnar and Dos Santos are battling for a shot at the UFC heavyweight title when they meet in June, and that needs no extra build up.

“The Ultimate Fighter Season 13? debuts this Wednesday night at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Spike TV.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Donald Cerrone: We'll Just Keep Knocking Them Down Until We Get the Title (UFC Denver) | MMAWeekly.com

Embracing a hometown fight with Jorge Masvidal, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone has a welterweight title fight in his sights for 2017. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 results: Alexandre Pantoja takes split from 'TUF 24' castmate Eric Shelton

DENVER – A solid first two rounds for Alexandre Pantoja, with close submission attempts in each, was enough to squeak past a disappointed Eric Shelton. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC-debut win, 'TUF 24' semifinalist Alexandre Pantoja ready for top-10 opponent like Benavidez

DENVER – After getting the split-call nod over “TUF 24” castmate Eric Shelton at UFC on FOX 23, Alexandre Pantoja said his experience has earned him a “good and experienced” opponent like, say, forme read news >>

10 reason to watch UFC Fight Night 104, including Alexa Grasso and other top 115-pounders

The UFC is in Houston for Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event, and at the top of the bill is a fighter who fans have not seen in the octagon for a couple years. Check out the top 10 reasons to watch read news >>

UFC President Dana White on 'TUF 8' winner: 'Bellator is a good place for Ryan Bader'

HOUSTON – The most tenured light heavyweight fighter in UFC history officially will be taking his talents elsewhere. Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Dennis Bermudez didn't overlook 'Korean Zombie,' thinks stoppage may have been a bit early

HOUSTON – Dennis Bermudez had good reason not to overlook Chan Sung Jung in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 headliner.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ali Motamed to Face Rocky Lee at Full Metal Dojo 13 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC and TUF alumni Rocky Lee returns to action at Full Metal Dojo 13 in Bangkok next month. The Taiwanese featherweight has been handed a tough assignment. read news >>

Karl Moore gets opponent, fights 'TUF 19' vet Josh Clark for 205 title at Cage Warriors 81

Cage Warriors’ return to Dublin next month now has its light heavyweight title headliner set. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Wilson Reis did what asked – 'now give me the title fight' with UFC champ Demetrious Johnson

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Wilson Reis is no longer asking for a title fight. No, after coming so close to getting his shot at the belt, the flyweight contender is demanding what he feels is rightfully and pai read news >>

Jacare Souza: 'I'm the Champion Without the Title' | MMAWeekly.com

Third-ranked middleweight Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza wants a title shot, but believes he is already the champion, he just doesn't have the belt to prove it. read news >>