#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Jon Jones #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Michael Bisping #Round 4 #UFC 215 #Miesha Tate

As Bellator approaches their next middleweight tournament, Brian Rogers is ready to show a new kind of animal that all 185lb fighters should fear.

Rogers has been one punch or one kick away from making it to the tournament finals each of the last two times he’s been in the tournament, but things ultimately didn’t go his way.

As explosive and dangerous as any striker at middleweight, Rogers’ aggressiveness and willingness to throw down with any opponent has also come back to bite him in fights with Alexander Shlemenko and Andreas Spang.

Now the former school teacher is training full time, traveling to work with top teams like Firas Zahabi and his students at Tristar gym in Montreal, and it’s creating a whole new and more dangerous version of Rogers.

“Being full time definitely helped, but I tried to look at myself outside the box and look at myself as a fan and as a coach, and evaluate my performances on film, and be brutally honest with myself about things. I took a look back and decided it would be best to go full time, and just train, and it helped out in my preparation just in my strength and conditioning with my skill, my technique and everything else,” Rogers said after his win over Dominique Steele at Bellator 78.

The new, more controlled aggression allowed Rogers to absolutely batter Steele over the full 15-minutes, but when the finish didn’t come from some deadly combinations landed, the Ohio native didn’t rush in to try to force things as he had done in past fights. Instead, Rogers backed out, reset, and continued his assault on Steele.

The end was result was Rogers first unanimous decision win, and he looks at that as progression in his game and proof that he can go 15-minutes and be just as dominant as he does in a 2-minute knockout.

“I kind of thought that’s how it may go. It’s been kind of a goal of mine to have a unanimous decision win. Not a split decision, not sneak one out, just be in control for 15-minutes and I think that’s what I was able to do tonight,” said Rogers.

“It’s a small notch on the belt for me, now next time I’ll try to get 10-8 rounds on the way.”

Rogers isn’t done evolving just yet either. The win over Steele was a way to get back on track and show off some new tricks.

The real evolution of Brian Rogers will show when he enters the next Bellator middleweight tournament, and all of the 185lb fighters have been served notice as of now that he’s back and more dangerous than never before.

“I’ve got a ground game that no one’s seen yet because they haven’t put me there, and I haven’t needed to put them there,” Rogers said.

“I’m just excited to keep evolving and keep moving forward, kind of a mentality switch overall.”

Comments

Bellator 182's Colleen Schneider will call out Ilima-Lei MacFarlane – with cameras rolling this time

After fighting her first Bellator bout without cameras, Colleen Schneider plans to make a splash at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 182's Bruna Ellen eyeing finish over Veta Arteaga now, flyweight belt later

Looking to add a second Bellator win to her 1-1 promotional record, Brazilian flyweight Bruna Ellen is not lacking in confidence.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

In his own lane, Chidi Njokuani doesn't care about anyone else ahead of Bellator 182

Chidi Njokuani has been cruising along, but in classic fighter style, he says it doesn’t matter who it’s been against, or where. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

From mom's death to bad knee: Talita Nogueira's rough road to long-awaited Bellator debut

A lot went into finally making it here, but undefeated featherweight Talita Nogueira is happy and healthy ahead her Bellator debut.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kate Jackson Going to Rely On Technique in Bellator MMA Debut | MMAWeekly.com

On August 25 in Verona, New York, Kate Jackson (8-2-1) makes her Bellator debut against veteran Colleen Schneider (11-7) in a main card 125-pound bout. read news >>

Bellator 182's Brennan Ward wants you excited more than he wants you to see his hand raised

Brennan Ward says it’s more important for you to not be bored by his performance than for him to win – especially right now in Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182's Joey Davis' modest goals for MMA career? 'I want to be the next big thing'

Four-time NCAA Division II national champion and unbeaten wrestler Joey Davis already is daring to dream big ahead of Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182 live video stream and official results (6:30 p.m. ET)

Bellator 182 takes place tonight, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 6:30 pm ET.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani full live results and fight stats. read news >>

Boxer, Bellator MMA's Heather Hardy: Floyd Mayweather will be aggressive vs. Conor McGregor

Bellator’s Heather Hardy, who competed in both boxing and MMA, is taking Floyd Mayweather at his word about being aggressive.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC, Videos read news >>