#Francis Ngannou #UFC 218 #Alistair Overeem #UFC 220 #UFC Fight Night 124 #Daniel Cormier #Conor McGregor #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Stipe Miocic #UFC 219

Brent Primus Ready for 'Warfare' Against Michael Chandler at Bellator NYC | MMAWeekly.com

The start of 2017 was not a good time for Bellator lightweight Brent Primus.

Originally scheduled to face Adam Piccolotti at Bellator 172 in February, the fight was canceled, followed by another proposed match falling through, leading Primus to hit a low point.

Still, perseverance is a virtue, and for his, Primus now finds himself on the cusp of his biggest opportunity. So in the end, things were indeed darkest before the dawn.

“I went through a full fight camp and spent a lot of money on my training, my food and my coaches, and it was really crappy,” Primus told MMAWeekly.com. “If it would have happened far out from the fight it wouldn’t have been as big a deal, but it happened a couple weeks out or less, and it’s hard to go through all that and not get paid to fight.

“Right after that I got signed up with another Top 10 guy and he got injured too. I was in a really low place that time, but all things happen for a reason, and now I’m fighting in Madison Square Garden for the title, so it all worked out.”

Brent PrimusHaving been nearly a year since he had an actual fight, Primus is excited to finally show the growth in his game that he’s made since his last bout in April of 2016.

“I’ve been training with really good guys, and I feel I’ve developed a lot,” said Primus. “Honestly I don’t think anybody has seen the full potential of me. I’ve had quick fights and I feel I haven’t performed how I could. I’ve been training really hard and I feel great and it’s going to be awesome.”

Primus (7-0) gets his first shot at a major MMA championship when he takes on Michael Chandler (16-3) in a 155-pound championship bout at Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva on Saturday in New York.

“I honestly think I can finish him on the feet or submit him on the ground,” Primus said of Chandler. “At the same time, he’s a really gritty dude, and I can see it going the full 25 minutes of all-out warfare.

“I’m fighting in the biggest fight arena in the world. I’m fighting on the same card with legends that I’ve looked up for a long time. It’s definitely pushing me. I’ve trained really, really hard, and I feel ready. I can’t wait to get out there.”

While adding a Bellator championship to his resume would be the biggest achievement of Primus’ career, he knows it’s just the start of the next challenge he has to overcome.

“I think it’s somewhat of an accomplishment, fighting for a world title, but once I get the belt, that’s when the hard work starts,” said Primus.

“Everybody wants that belt, so I think it’s really going to be crazy. But at the same time, this is a dream come true. There are a lot of people who train their butts off who don’t get this type of shot. For me, it’s great.”

Comments

Relive Michael Chandler's Knockout of Patricky Pitbull (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Look back at Bellator 157 Michael Chandler vs. Patricky Pitbull in it's entirety! And don't miss Michael Chandler's upcoming fight at Bellator 192. read news >>

Michael Chandler Predicts That He'll Be 'Extremely Dominant' at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Chandler (16-4) will look to get back on track when he takes on Goiti Yamauchi (22-3) in a main card 155-pound bout at Bellator 192 on January 20. read news >>

Aaron Pico 'Ready for Anything' Against Shane Krutchen at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Aaron Pico (1-1) will look to pick up his second win when he takes on veteran Shane Krutchen (12-3) in a main card 145-pound bout at Bellator 192. read news >>

Joey Davis: 'I Can Do Anything I Want' Against Ian Butler at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Joey Davis (2-0) will look to keep his undefeated streak going when he faces Ian Butler (3-3) in a preliminary 170-pounf bout at Bellator 192 on January 20. read news >>

Bellator 192 Media Call: 'This One Isn't Rocket Science!' | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of their respective bouts at Bellator 192; Douglas Lima, Rory MacDonald, Rampage Jackson, and Chael Sonnen faced each other in a media call. read news >>

Georgi Karakhanyan Predicts 'Fireworks' Against Henry Corrales at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Georgi Karakhanyan (27-7-1) will look to kick off his year on a positive note when he takes on Henry Corrales (14-3) at Bellator 192. read news >>

Michael Chandler Lands Cryptocurrency Endorsement Ahead of Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of his fight this weekend, Michael Chandler has landed a big endorsement from a cryptocurrency company read news >>

Rory MacDonald Takes Out Paul Daley in Bellator Debut (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Take a look back at Rory MacDonald's Bellator debut win over Paul "Semtex" Daley. MacDonald next faces welterweight champ Douglas Lima at Bellator 192. read news >>

Bellator 192's Michael Chandler: Goiti Yamauchi tougher than 'so-called fighter' Brent Primus

Michael Chandler says Goiti Yamauchi “takes the sport more seriously” than Bellator lightweight champ Brent Primus.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio Highlight, Videos read news >>

Watch Douglas Lima Head Kick KO Ben Saunders (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Look back at Bellator 100 fight pitting Douglas Lima vs. Ben Saunders. And don't miss Douglas Lima's upcoming fight at Bellator 192. read news >>