#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Conor McGregor #Alexander Gustafsson #Daniel Cormier #Justin Gaethje #Jon Jones #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC New York #Nate Diaz #UFC 217 #Chael Sonnen #Kevin Lee #Tony Ferguson #Edson Barboza

Brent Primus Ready for 'Warfare' Against Michael Chandler at Bellator NYC | MMAWeekly.com

The start of 2017 was not a good time for Bellator lightweight Brent Primus.

Originally scheduled to face Adam Piccolotti at Bellator 172 in February, the fight was canceled, followed by another proposed match falling through, leading Primus to hit a low point.

Still, perseverance is a virtue, and for his, Primus now finds himself on the cusp of his biggest opportunity. So in the end, things were indeed darkest before the dawn.

“I went through a full fight camp and spent a lot of money on my training, my food and my coaches, and it was really crappy,” Primus told MMAWeekly.com. “If it would have happened far out from the fight it wouldn’t have been as big a deal, but it happened a couple weeks out or less, and it’s hard to go through all that and not get paid to fight.

“Right after that I got signed up with another Top 10 guy and he got injured too. I was in a really low place that time, but all things happen for a reason, and now I’m fighting in Madison Square Garden for the title, so it all worked out.”

Brent PrimusHaving been nearly a year since he had an actual fight, Primus is excited to finally show the growth in his game that he’s made since his last bout in April of 2016.

“I’ve been training with really good guys, and I feel I’ve developed a lot,” said Primus. “Honestly I don’t think anybody has seen the full potential of me. I’ve had quick fights and I feel I haven’t performed how I could. I’ve been training really hard and I feel great and it’s going to be awesome.”

Primus (7-0) gets his first shot at a major MMA championship when he takes on Michael Chandler (16-3) in a 155-pound championship bout at Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva on Saturday in New York.

“I honestly think I can finish him on the feet or submit him on the ground,” Primus said of Chandler. “At the same time, he’s a really gritty dude, and I can see it going the full 25 minutes of all-out warfare.

“I’m fighting in the biggest fight arena in the world. I’m fighting on the same card with legends that I’ve looked up for a long time. It’s definitely pushing me. I’ve trained really, really hard, and I feel ready. I can’t wait to get out there.”

While adding a Bellator championship to his resume would be the biggest achievement of Primus’ career, he knows it’s just the start of the next challenge he has to overcome.

“I think it’s somewhat of an accomplishment, fighting for a world title, but once I get the belt, that’s when the hard work starts,” said Primus.

“Everybody wants that belt, so I think it’s really going to be crazy. But at the same time, this is a dream come true. There are a lot of people who train their butts off who don’t get this type of shot. For me, it’s great.”

Comments

Bellator Champ Brent Primus Apologizes for Bailing on Michael Chandler Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator lightweight champion Brent Primus on Wednesday issued an apology for having to withdraw from the Bellator 197 headliner. read news >>

Michael Chandler Doesn't Believe Brent Primus Will Ever Defend His Bellator Title | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Chandler is tired of the excuses that Brent Primus has been giving him for months and he's convinced that the current Bellator lightweight champion will relinquish the title before defending read news >>

Bellator champ Brent Primus apologizes to everybody but Michael Chandler for title-fight withdrawal

Bellator lightweight champ Brent Primus apologizes for withdrawing from his planned title defense against Michael Chandler at Bellator 197. read news >>

Bellator's Michael Chandler doesn't think he'll ever get Brent Primus rematch

Ex-champ Michael Chandler predicts Brent Primus will be stripped or relinquish the Bellator lightweight title before they get a rematch. read news >>

Flyweight Champ Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Makes First Defense at Bellator 201 | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. for Bellator 201 on Friday, June 29. The card will be headlined by the San Diego-based Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (7-0), who defends her undef read news >>

Ed Ruth Believes 'Conditioning Will Play A Big Part at Bellator 196 Against Ion Pascu | MMAWeekly.com

Ed Ruth (4-0) will look to further showcase his development in his first fight of 2018 at Bellator 196 in Budapest, Hungary, against veteran Ion Pascu (17-7). read news >>

Brent Primus who? Bellator 197's Michael Chandler focused on 'scary, dangerous' Brandon Girtz

Michael Chandler has two very different tones when talking about champ Brent Primus and Bellator 197 replacement opponent Brandon Girtz. read news >>

5 reasons to watch Bellator 197, where Brandon Girtz could spoil Michael Chandler's plans

Michael Chandler isn’t sure if Brent Primus will still be Bellator champ if they finally meet again. Brandon Girtz, though, plans to make it a moot point. read news >>

Bellator 197 Weigh-in Video & Results: Michael Chandler vs. Brandon Girtz Gets Green Light | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 197: Chandler vs. Girtz got the green light on Thursday after main eventers Michael Chandler and Brandon Girtz hit the mark on the scale, making their headlining lightweight bout official. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Michel Chandler's submission of Brandon Girtz at Bellator 197

See the top Twitter reacts to Michael Chandler’s submission win over Brandon Girtz at Bellator 197. read news >>

Bellator 197 Results: Michael Chandler Puts Brandon Girtz to Sleep | MMAWeekly.com

It wasn't the fight he wanted, but former Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler continued his quest to regain the title by making quick work of Brandon Girtz on Friday night. read news >>

Even when asked directly, Michael Chandler won't mention Brent Primus

Former Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler is trying very hard not to give Brent Primus any part of his shine. read news >>

Bellator 197 highlights: The Michael Chandler slam that separated Brandon Girtz's shoulder

Michael Chandler picked up a record-breaking win at Bellator 197 – one that proved painful for opponent Brandon Girtz. read news >>

Ana Julaton, Bellator Fighter and World Champion Boxer, Abruptly Retires from Fighting | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator flyweight fighter and former world champion boxer Ana Julaton has decided to hang up the gloves on both careers, effective immediately. read news >>

Bellator champ Patricio Freire: I offered to fight 'jerk' Michael Chandler – but only for five rounds

Bellator champ Patricio Freire gave his side of why a Bellator 197 meeting with Michael Chandler isn’t happening. read news >>

Bellator 196: Benson Henderson - In Focus | MMAWeekly.com

Get to know Benson "Smooth" Henderson before he headlines Bellator 196 on April 6 against Roger Huerta. read news >>

Search for: