#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Dominick Cruz #Robbie Lawler

thomas-almeida.jpgAt just 21 years old, undefeated Brazilian bantamweight prospect Thomas Almeida has his sights set on a UFC bid. And with five years of combat-sports experience already under his belt, “Thominhas” looks well on his way.

“I started training muay Thai only at 13 years old,” Almeida told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in his native Portuguese. “Around 16, I started competing, and I haven’t stopped since.

“I’ve often competed in tournaments, since that’s so common in muay Thai. I would fight two or three times in one evening. I’ve been doing that since I was 16. Then, in early 2011, I had my first professional MMA fight. Ever since then I’ve only fought MMA.”

Almeida’s story isn’t unlike many Brazilian youth. With a passionate fanbase for combat sports, Brazilians kids are often drawn to MMA, jiu-jitsu or muay Thai. But while de Almeida’s parents supported his training, they never expected him to be an active competitor.

“They always voiced opposition to it,” Almeida said. “My father would pay my monthly dues because he’s always been involved in sports. But he was never in favor of me participating in combat competitions.

“As time went by, my family realized it was something I loved, to which I showed dedication, something that kept me from distractions. Now they give me their full support. They certainly didn’t like it at first, but now they’re my biggest fans.”

Almeida’s success probably has something to do with his parents’ support. In 10 professional fights, he has yet to fight into the second round, finishing every one of his opponents in the opening round.

The sport’s growing popularity in Brazil also means there’s not such a stigma associated with its competitors like existed in times past.

“The rules have improved since the early days,” Almeida said. “Now MMA is less shocking to the casual viewer. Old PRIDE bouts, with head stomps and piledrivers, that was a bit shocking. With today’s rules, the sport is more ‘professional.’ It’s truly a sport now.

“People see MMA with different eyes now. The Unified Rules were a great improvement. That even helped my family understand MMA, though, as I said, they primarily changed their minds after they understood my passion and dedication.”

Almeida currently lives in Sao Paulo and splits his training time between Diego Lima’s Chute Boxe and Jorge Patino‘s ‘Macaco’ Gold Team. He dropped out of college to pursue his passion, and while he hopes to return for his degree sometime in the future, a shot in the octagon is his current focus.

“Ever since I was a child I enjoyed this,” Almeida said. “I wake up early and feel happy to be able to train. I would very much like to finish college. I do not enjoy leaving things undone. But my greater dream is to make a living from fighting, make it to the UFC and be a top-ranked fighter. I would love to accomplish both, but fighting takes priority now.

“I have this dream. I don’t know why I have this dream. But to achieve excellence, a championship belt, to be one of the top fighters in the world, that keeps me going – to be the best.”

Galleries

Thomas Almeida Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Kurt Holobaugh's camp will push for suspension reduction, UFC status not in jeopardy

Kurt Holobaugh’s rep says his UFC contract isn’t canceled, and his team plans to fight a nine-month suspension for IV use. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jim Wallhead out at UFC Fight Night 118, promotion seeks new foe for Warlley Alves

British vet “Judo” Jim Wallhead has been forced to withdraw from next week’s UFC Fight Night 118 event, and matchmakers are seeking a new opponent for Warlley Alves.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Grant Dawson Took Out Adrian Diaz, Earned UFC Contract (Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Not only did Grant Dawson take out Adrian Diaz in week 6 of Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series, he captured a UFC contract in the process. read news >>

Germaine de Randamie Cleared for UFC Comeback | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie is on the mend and poised for a comeback. read news >>

GSP and Michael Bisping Drop Puck at Hockey Game, Smack Talk Each Other on Ice

UFC 217 is coming down the pipe pretty quickly, and headliners Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre have indulged in quite a press tour in preparation for the Madison Square Garden showdown. This we read news >>

Newcomer Benito Lopez says he's fighting Albert Morales at UFC Fight Night 123

Undefeated Team Alpha Male product Benito Lopez says his UFC debut will come at UFC Fight Night 123.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-UFC contender Ian McCall joins Rizin FF bantamweight grand prix, debuts Dec. 29

Due to an infamous run of bad luck, Ian McCall has fought just once since July 2014. But that could soon change – in a big way.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Before UFC-Gdansk headliner, watch Donald Cerrone's slick combo on Rick Story

A few seconds of Donald Cerrone’s UFC 202 bout with Rick Story have become one of MMA’s more popular recent GIFs – and for good reason.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Charles Byrd Forced the Tap, Earned a UFC Contract (Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Witness Charles Byrd become the first fighter to go 2-0 on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series and earn a UFC contract. read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 118 event in Las Vegas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>