CageSport LogoAs Brandon Dudley knows, sometimes things don’t go according to plan and life can get in the way of a fighter’s career. Following his first four fights, Dudley has had a layoff of five years, which he attributes to a multitude of things happening, one after the other.

“I had a title fight with Sportfight lined up, but I dropped out of it because I thought I was going to be on The Ultimate Fighter, but I didn’t get on it,” said Dudley. “Shortly after all of that happened, I started having issues with my knee and ended up having four surgeries. Also, I got married and had some kids. I had a fight lined up last year, but it ended up falling through three days out. So it’s been a combination of all those things.”

During his layoff, Dudley managed to keep his fight game moving forward, especially after switching fight camps.

“I’m much better-rounded and just better overall,” he said. “About three years ago, I changed gyms to AMC Pankration and that’s been huge for me as far as developing my all-around game, clinch work and ground game, too. I’ve evolved quite a bit.”

For his first fight since January 2007, Dudley will headline CageSport XXI in Tacoma, Wash., on Saturday night against up-and-comer Emmanuel Sanchez in what should be a good return test.

“To me, he looks tough. He’s a guy who will be there to the end and not fold,” said Dudley of Sanchez. “It looks like he favors stand-up from the couple fights I’ve seen. He looks very consistent. He doesn’t come out flailing and die out. He’s very level-headed. I expect it to be a tough fight and for him to be there every round.”

While Dudley has worked to become a more rounded fighter, he feels his talent lies in grappling and that will be the area that he can most take advantage of to defeat Sanchez.

“There’s always a feeling out process, but since 2007, I’ve grown leaps and bounds, and I feel very confident in my stand-up, so I feel we’ll start with stand-up and see where it goes,” he said. “But overall, with most everybody, I feel very comfortable on the ground.”

Dudley told MMAWeekly.com that it’s most likely now or never if he hopes to make something of a career in the fight game.

“Definitely it’s very important, especially for me at 35,” he said. “I feel very healthy and whatnot, but I don’t have 10-15 years to develop my career.

“I put in a ton of training and a lot of people know me from training and whatnot, but it’s very important to get the ball rolling and get off on a good step. Not just win, but win impressively with a finish and get fighting again.”

Dudley concluded, “(Returning to MMA has) been my plans for years now and that’s what motivates me. I’m hoping my knee is good, everything is good, and I feel like this is the first step in getting back into the game and going as far as I can.”

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Raphael Assuncao hopes Sean Shelby isn't 'too upset' with Sterling win, wants ex-champ Cruz next

DENVER – After getting back on the winning track with a split-decision win over Aljamain Sterling, UFC on FOX 23's Raphael Assuncao said he could have had a "little more steam" in the third round. Re read news >>

UFC Contender's Title Hopes in Jeopardy Due to Donald Trump's Travel Ban

Up until Friday, everything was going great for Gegard Mousasi's career. Long the toast of the Japanese MMA circuit, Mousasi joined the UFC in 2013. After two up-and-down years with the company, he h read news >>

Ex-champ Fabricio Werdum talks Dos Santos, title shot hopes and social media accusations

Former UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum still eyes a rematch against current titleholder Stipe Miocic, but welcomes scrap with fellow ex-champ and countryman Junior Dos Santos for the interim ti read news >>

UFC champ Max Holloway signs on for 'Den of Thieves' movie, hopes to be cleared next week

HOUSTON – UFC interim featherweight champion Max Holloway said he’s recovered after re-injuring his ankle at UFC 206, and he’s still gunning for undisputed champ Jose Aldo. Filed under: Featured Vide read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

Felice Herrig hopes UFC 'does the right thing' and gives her VanZant or Waterson

HOUSTON – The way UFC women’s strawweight Felice Herrig sees the situation, the promotion kind of owes her one when it comes to her next fight. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Scratched from UFC 208 due to eye issue, Luis Henrique says his career options now limited

Luis Henrique said his career options have dwindled after he was pulled from Saturday’s UFC 208 lineup. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kamal Shalorus Hopes Win over Ev Ting Sets Up Second ONE Championship Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Kamal Shalorus has a win over the current ONE Championship lightweight champion. He hopes to get a crack at the belt with a win on Friday. read news >>