#UFC 217 #GSP #UFC Fight Night 120 #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #Nate Diaz #TJ Dillashaw #Cody Garbrandt #Fight One #Dustin Poirier #Anthony Pettis

When Antonio Silva enters the Octagon next Saturday for his rematch with Cain Velasquez at UFC 160, he will do so as a heavy underdog.

“Bigfoot’s” first encounter with the reigning heavyweight champion was not a pretty one, as Velasquez planted the massive Brazilian on his back and battered him with a barrage of punches and elbows one year ago at UFC 146. In spite of that result, and his current status as a 4-1 long shot, Silva nevertheless believes that he will walk away from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas with championship gold around his waist.

“I like when people underestimate me. It’s nice, because I get to go out there and [prove] them wrong,” Silva recently said during a media conference call. “There are no superheroes in this sport. Nobody is invincible. I’ve been putting in a lot of hard work in the last nine weeks. I’ve been preparing myself, and I’m very confident that I’m going to have my arm raised on May 25.”

As Silva mentioned, this would not be the first time he has been counted out against a favored opponent. Following the heavyweight’s one-sided loss to Velasquez, bookmakers listed him as an underdog against both Travis Browne and Alistair Overeem. “Bigfoot” won both fights by knockout.

With those convincing victories nestled securely in his back pocket, Silva now appears to be a far more confident fighter than when he previously faced Velasquez.

“In our first fight, I was nervous and anxious, but I have replaced those emotions. Now, I am calm and driven. I really want this,” said Silva. “Comparing my style of fighting to Cain -- I would have to be born again to become faster than Cain Velasquez. I’ve got 30 pounds on him. He’s going to be faster than me. I need to work with what I have, and what I have is very, very heavy hands. I’m going to keep my hands healthy and heavy, and I’m sure that the first punch I really land, he’s going to go down.”

Though Silva admitted that much of his preparation and strategy will carry over from his first meeting with the champion, the 33-year-old plans to effect one key change in the rematch.

“A lot of my preparation has been the same as it was for the first fight. Obviously, in the first fight, I made a big mistake, but there were a lot of things that I did right going into that fight that, unfortunately, you guys didn’t get to see,” said Silva. “Much of that has been maintained, but overall, the main strategy is just to not let his elbows get near my forehead. That would be a change.”

Galleries

Cain Velasquez Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Ovince Saint-Preux Now Faces Corey Anderson at UFC 217 in New York | MMAWeekly.com

Saint-Preux replaces Patrick Cummins on the upcoming card on Nov. 4. read news >>

Karolina Kowalkiewicz aims to rebound from skid at UFC-Gdansk – and celebrate with a cookie

Karolina Kowalkiewicz takes on UFC debutant Jodie Esquibel in her native Poland on Saturday at UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 official weigh-in video, results (3 a.m. ET)

MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC Fight Night 118 fighter weigh-ins.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 official weigh-in photos and video highlights

Check out the video highlights and photo gallery from today’s official UFC Fight Night 118 fighter weigh-ins in Gdansk, Poland.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Take A Look Inside Donald Cerrone's BMF Ranch (UFC Gdansk Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone takes viewers on his unorthodox ranch in New Mexico, and explains his process for accepting and training for fights. read news >>

Colby Covington undeterred, insists UFC title shot close once he beats Demian Maia

Ever confident about his future in the UFC welterweight division, Colby Covington believes his title shot is around the corner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Artem Lobov after weighing in: 'Choo choo motherf*ckers! You can't stop The Siberian Express!'

All aboard The Siberian Express, folks! Artem Lobov is coming to UFC Fight Night 118!Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch the only man to knock out UFC champ Cody Garbrandt do so in a 2014 amateur fight

The man who handed UFC champ Cody Garbrandt a highlight-reel KO in an amateur MMA fight returns this weekend at CFFC 68.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 118 Weigh-in Live at Noon ET | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night Gdansk official weigh-in streaming live at noon ET from Gdansk, Poland. read news >>

Jan Blachowicz hopes to end ‘bad luck’ streak vs. Devin Clark at UFC-Gdansk

Jan Blachowicz has lost four of his last five fights heading into his UFC-Gdansk main-card bout vs. Devin Clark.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>