#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #DWTNCS #UFC 215

Though still an unknown commodity to many casual observers, Antonio Silva has steadily seen his stock rise as a legitimate heavyweight talent while competing outside the UFC.

After stumbling in his 2009 Strikeforce debut against Fabricio Werdum, “Bigfoot” recovered with a trio of victories, topping ex-UFC champ Andre Arlovski, Mike Kyle and onetime Pride Fighting Championships kingpin Fedor Emelianenko. The massive Brazilian suffered a first-round knockout at the hands of Daniel Cormier last September, but now looks toward his UFC debut against Cormier’s teammate, Cain Velasquez. Silva locks horns with the former UFC belt holder Saturday night at UFC 146.

While Silva says that his loss to Cormier in the Strikeforce grand prix semifinals served as a disappointing end to his tenure in the hexagon, “Pezao” is now solely focused on making a good impression when he steps into the Octagon tonight at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“[Fighting in the UFC] is a dream come true,” said Silva during a recent media teleconference. “It’s a dream that any athlete in our sport wants to live out, and everybody can be sure that on the 26th of May, I will give out a great fight.”

Though many expect big things from the big man as he embarks on his UFC career, Silva says he feels little pressure prior to his clash with the highly-regarded former champion.

“It’s always difficult, because I believe that the best fighters in the world in my category are in the UFC, but I’m very relaxed and feeling very well,” said Silva. “It’s a great opportunity that the UFC is giving me for my first fight against one of the top [heavyweights] in the world. I’m the underdog in this fight, and it takes a lot of responsibility off my back, so I feel very comfortable with that.”

Now making his home in Florida, Silva returned to his former camp at American Top Team to prepare for his clash with Velasquez. Though Pezao insists he still officially represents Rio de Janeiro’s Team Nogueira, the heavyweight says he received excellent training on the mats of ATT.

“One of my managers [Dan Lambert] is also owner of American Top Team,” said Silva. “He helped me bringing in top wrestlers -- one guy that's a two-time world champion wrestler -- and some big strikers from Holland. It has made things easier for me here so I don’t have to be away from my family during the camp.”

Silva is as well-known among fans for his massive frame as he is for his potent jiu-jitsu game and devastating ground-and-pound. However, prior to his upcoming bout, Silva enlisted the help of ex-fighter and nutrition guru Mike Dolce. Silva says that Dolce has helped him stay lean, a fact that the Brazilian believes will behoove him on fight night.

“Things are going really well for the first time before a fight. I’m feeling very light and fast,” said Silva. “Cain Velasquez is a lighter and much faster fighter and is diametrically opposed to my strong points, which are my strength and my jiu-jitsu. I will try to come in a little bit lighter to be able to counter his speed and his lightness. I think that will be favorable to me.”

Comments

Nick Hein out at UFC-Rotterdam, promotion seeks featherweight foe for Zabit Magomedsharipov

Injury has forced German fighter Nick Hein out of next week’s UFC Fight Night 115 event in Rotterdam, and company officials are currently seeking a replacement opponent for Zabit Magomedsharipov.File read news >>

Francis Ngannou 'lost' after UFC 215 fight scratch, knows suitable replacement unlikely

Francis Ngannou is disappointed with the current state of his career after losing out on a big-fight opportunity at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2516 with Ricardo Lamas and Frank Trigg

Stream or download Friday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with Ricardo Lamas and Frank Trigg.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Matt Hughes Already Back on the Mats Just Two Months After Serious Car Accident | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes has been steadily improving since being involved in a serious accident just two months ago after his truck collided with an oncoming train in Illinois. Th read news >>

Conor McGregor Gets His Final Rounds of Sparring On (Mayweather vs. McGregor Vlog) | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 2 of Mayweather vs. McGregor Embedded, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor enjoyis another hard sparring session in the boxing ring. read news >>

Welterweight bout between Court McGee and Sean Strickland set for UFC Fight Night 120

Nov. 11’s UFC Fight Night 120, which takes place in Norfolk, Va., continues to take shape with a bout between two welterweights looking for octagon recovery.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Felice Herrig faces Cortney Casey at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

Top 10 ranked strawweight contender Felice Herrig will make her return to action when she faces Cortney Case at UFC 218 scheduled on Dec. 2 in Detroit. Herrig made the announcement via her Instagram read news >>

What has Conor McGregor accomplished in UFC prior to Floyd Mayweather? These are the facts

As Conor McGregor prepares to enter the ring vs. Floyd Mayweather with a clean slate, look back at everything he’s accomplished in the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

From scary accident to coma to rolling, UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes is back on the mat

Amazing video of Matt Hughes rolling on the mats with his friend is a testament to the UFC Hall of Famer’s resiliency.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones notified of potential doping violation in wake of UFC 214 title win

Jon Jones was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of a potential failed test, his third overall.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>