#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

As he awaits the call for his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut, former EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva has gone about the business of shoring up his weaknesses under the Team Nogueira banner.

Silva (16-3) has not fought since being knocked out by the unbeaten Daniel Cormier in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix semifinals in September. The defeat halted a three-fight winning streak for the 32-year-old Brazilian, which included wins over Russian great Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski.

“I’m doing very specific work in boxing and kickboxing to correct my mistakes,” Silva told Sherdog.com. “To make a mistake is human, but to remain in error is stupid. I fought two fighters from the American Kickboxing Academy, and they knocked me down. Against Mike Kyle, I was able to recover and win the fight, but against Cormier, I got knocked out for the first time in 20 fights.

“The people in my camp saw where the mistakes were, so now I’m going to train, train and train some more to fix it,” he added. “I’m also training jiu-jitsu in the gi, doing strength work and following a good diet in order to lose weight and improve my speed.”

Silva, who underwent shoulder surgery in November following his loss to Cormier, does not yet have a date or an opponent for his first UFC bout, though he expects to hear from matchmakers soon. Rumors of a potential matchup with onetime UFC heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez have cooled.

“Several things have been said, but nothing is 100 percent yet,” Silva said. “As I always say, ‘Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.’ Two weeks after my surgery, I started training to get ready for when the opportunity appears. I’m eager to fight again, and when they put me inside that Octagon, I’ll always try to have good fights.”

Though he no longer flies the Strikeforce flag, Silva will watch with personal interest when Cormier meets Josh Barnett in the heavyweight grand prix final, likely in the first or second quarter of 2012.

“I’ll root for Cormier, who’s a great guy, but I think it’s going to be kind of hard for him to win,” Silva said. “Barnett is a more complete fighter, with good boxing, wrestling and ground skills. The only chance for Cormier is to land a big punch, like he did on me, but I think it will be Barnett who wins.”

Silva admits a part of him was saddened when Zuffa LLC officials elected to dissolve the Strikeforce heavyweight division and fold it into the UFC.

“I’m sorry for that,” he said. “They could have left it as a gateway for the weight class, but it would have sort of been a second division to the premier league -- the UFC.”

Allan Oliveira contributed to this report.

Comments

New York Commission Adopts Instant Replay Ahead of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

The referees calling fights at UFC 217 in New York next month will have the added advantage of instant replay. The New York State Athletic Commission adopted new rules just recently to allow the in-r read news >>

Derek Brunson vs. Lyoto Machida: UFC Sao Paulo Main Event Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Preview the UFC Fight Night 119 main event between middleweights Derek Brunson and Lyoto Machida ahead of UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo this Saturday. read news >>

Ahead of UFC 217, James Vick has some serious questions about how the rankings work

James Vick doesn’t get how he can be 7-1 in the UFC’s lightweight division and still find himself outside the top 15 in the rankings.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

On 5-fight skid, ex-champ Andrei Arlovski training at ATT ahead of UFC-Norfolk

Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski is getting some new looks as he attempts to break out of an ugly five-fight slump.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk on Facebook Live

Joanna Jedrzejczyk jumped on Facebook live ahead of her UFC 217 strawweight title bout against Rose Namajunas. Among the topics she covered were the hardest hitting fighter, Conor's movie, her oppone read news >>

Unfiltered Episode 142: Cody Garbrandt

UFC Bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt calls in ahead of his UFC 217 bout against TJ Dillashaw and discusses TJ as an opponent, his back injury, wanting Mighty Mouse next, expecting his first child read news >>

Greg Hardy Discusses UFC Heavyweight Title Ambition Ahead of Amateur MMA Debut

Greg Hardy has insisted he has lofty ambitions on the brink of his first amateur MMA bout, telling TMZ he feels as though he can win the UFC heavyweight title. Hardy, the former Carolina Panthers and read news >>

Al Iaquinta Out of UFC 218, Paul Felder Awaits New Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 218 has taken a hit with the loss of Al Iaquinta from his fight against Paul Felder read news >>

Michael Bisping, Jorge Masvidal Get Into Heated Altercation Ahead of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping and Jorge Masvidal had to be separated on Wednesday following a heated altercation at a hotel ahead of UFC 217 this weekend in New York. In a video posted by Masvidal's manager Abraha read news >>

Ex-UFC fighter Erik Perez signs with Combate Americas

Erik “Goyito” Perez is expected to make his debut with the first Hispanic-based promotion in January.Filed under: News read news >>