#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Michael Bisping #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler

Ben Askren knows who he is.

Though the wrestler has drawn the ire of many fans for his grinding but effective style, Bellator’s welterweight champion says he will nonetheless stand by his skills as he defends his title for the third time against Karl Amoussou in tonight’s Bellator 86 main event at the Winstar World Casino in Thackerville, Okla.

“I’m never going to change my style. I am who I am, and I’m not afraid to be that guy,” Askren recently said during a media conference call. “I’ve had a lot of time since my last fight, and I have made serious improvements in a lot of areas. Nevertheless, I’ll never be as good at anything else as I am at wrestling. Wrestling is my base, and I’m not shy about admitting that. I’m actually proud that I grew up a wrestler.”

A two-time Dan Hodge Trophy winner at the University of Missouri, Askren most recently defended his belt against Douglas Lima last April, overwhelming the Season 5 tournament winner with takedowns and top control en route to a unanimous decision victory. The triumph extended his career winning streak to 10 fights and brought the 2008 Olympian his seventh consecutive win in the Bellator cage. Despite his dominance, Askren was booed for his efforts, a fact that “Funky” says will not affect him moving forward.

“The one thing I [learned] from the Lima fight is that people want to see me lose for whatever reason -- my attitude, my style, I don’t know what it is. But when I get on top -- and I do get on top fast and frequently -- they know that the bottom guy has zero chance to escape and zero chance to submit me,” said Askren. “So it’s a rather boring fight for them, because they want to see me lose, but they know in their hearts that it’s not going to happen and they’re going to be disappointed for 25 minutes. Come Thursday, those fans are going to be disappointed again, because there is no way that belt is leaving my waist.”

In Amoussou, Askren faces a fighter not unlike Lima. Fast, explosive and powerful, “Psycho” is known to do his best work early in a fight. The Frenchman is just 3-3-1 when going the distance, picking up all three of his wins via split decision. This is a fact not lost on Askren, who most expect will try to wear Amoussou down over the course of five rounds when the two collide live on Spike TV.

“From what I’ve watched, Karl has problems in any fight that goes past the first round,” said Askren. “That [first round] definitely seems to be his strongest one, so I’m not sure if [rounds] four or five are going to be an issue. I really hope he has done a little more cardio, but after watching his long history of fighting, I’m not sure that’s going to be the case.”

Comments

Frustrated Benson Henderson after Bellator 183 loss: 'I need to stop having close fights'

Benson Henderson is tired of leaving fights in the hands of the judges. He wants to change that after losing in Bellator 183 main event.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 183 winner Paul Daley made peace with Lorenz Larkin following KO

Paul Daley’s knockout of Lorenz Larkin at Bellator 183 was partially aided by his trash-talking ability.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Roy Nelson's only problem with Bellator debut? Listening to coach

Bellator heavyweight Roy Nelson wanted to duke it out with Javy Ayala on his feet. But his coach had other ideas.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Paul Daley Lands Bone-Crushing KO at Bellator 183 (FULL Event Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the full event fight highlights from Bellator 183, where Paul Daley landed a bone-crushing knockout. read news >>

Aaron Pico's emphatic Bellator 183 KO just what he needed after that awful debut

After a quick submission loss in his pro debut, hyped prospect Aaron Pico said “‘(expletive) this, I’m coming back,'” which he did in a big way.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 183 post-event facts: Patricky Freire, Goiti Yamauchi produce record work

See all the facts, figures and footnotes to come out of Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Despite quick win and history, Goiti Yamauchi mum on callouts after Bellator 183

Goiti Yamauchi is one of those fighters who truly prefers to let his fighting do the talking. He stuck true to that after Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Watch Goiti Yamauchi Submit Adam Piccolotti (Bellator 183 Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the full fight video of Goiti Yamauchi's first-round submission win over previously unbeaten Adam Piccolotti at Bellator 183 on Saturday. read news >>

Watch Aaron Pico's One-Punch KO of Justin Linn (Bellator 183 Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Aaron Pico's first-round knockout of Justin Linn from Saturday's Bellator 183 in this full fight video. read news >>