#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Javy Ayala

Dave Jansen has an awful lot to worry about in advance of the Bellator Season 7 tournament final.

His opponent, Marcin Held, is a decorated submission grappler and leg-lock expert who dispatched a man with four times his experience in the semifinals.

A win could bring Jansen’s tournament winnings to $100,000. A loss would put him to the back of the line. Then there’s always the creeping thought that a punch could find his jaw.

To minimize mental strain, Jansen utilizes an unusual tool in training camps. Several times a week, he immerses himself in an isolation tank, which cuts off all light and sound as he floats in salty water.

“Every time I get out of the tank, I’m just more relaxed and let my body heal,” Jansen (19-2 MMA, 5-0 BFC) told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) in advance of his fight with Held (15-2 MMA, 4-1 BFC) at Bellator 93, which takes place March 21 at Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine. The event’s main card airs on Spike TV following prelims on Spike.com.

Isolation tanks were first used in the 1950s to test the effects of sensory deprivation, but later came into vogue as part of the alternative medicine movement. UFC commentator Joe Rogan is a vocal advocate of floating and purchased a tank for his home.

Jansen, a Portland, Ore., resident, even has secured a sponsorship from a local business dedicated entirely to sensory deprivation tanks, which is fittingly called Float On.

“They’re a couple blocks from my house,” he said. “It has four tanks right now, and they’re building two more. It’s really helpful at relieving muscle soreness.

“I think the main thing is helping me quiet that internal dialogue. I’m working on being present and not dwelling about the future. I think it’s unhealthy to focus on my fight all the time, because when the fight happens, it’s going to happen.”

The training apparently is working. Jansen is unbeaten under the Bellator banner and has won five straight. Of course, he has a plan for Held when the fight hits the mat, and its simplicity may also help him from being overcome by anxiety.

“If he’s got me, I’ve got to react and not just try to punch my way out of it,” he said. “But there are situations where if I just get my knee three or four inches one direction to the mat, I know I’m safe.

“If I can start hitting, that’s what I’ll do. I think I’ll be good on my feet, and I’m just going to try to punch him repeatedly and do as much damage as I can.”

For more on Bellator 93, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Comments

Bellator 182 post-event facts: Unbeaten A.J. McKee makes history

Go inside the numbers from this past Friday’s Bellator 182 event in Verona, N.Y., which saw featherweight A.J. McKee set a new standard.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator 182 winner Fernando Gonzalez wants eventual title shot, but knows weight comes first

Fernando Gonzalez moved to an impressive 7-1 in Bellator this past Friday, but knows he has to get his weight cuts figured out, and soon.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182's Bruna Ellen happy with big win over Veta Arteaga, but in no rush with her career

After edging Veta Arteaga at Bellator 182 win, Bruna Ellen is satisfied with how the strategy to halt her opponent’s aggression panned out.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Brooke Mayo booked opposite debuting Kaytlin Neil at Bellator 183 in San Jose

After an unsuccessful, but gritty, Bellator debut, Brooke Mayo is set to welcome Kaytlin Neil into the Bellator cage.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator signs prospect Tyree Fortune, twin brother of heavyweight Tyrell Fortune

Bellator has doubled its Fortune.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2523 with Cynthia Calvillo and Fernando Gonzalez

Stream or download Wednesday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Cynthia Calvillo and Fernando Gonzalez.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Bellator Veteran Sergio Da Silva Arrested After Alleged Involvement in Bank Robbery | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator veteran Sergio Da Silva has been arrested in connection with a bank robbery that took place in New York just a few days ago. According to a report from TMZ, Da Silva was arrested after alleg read news >>

Rory MacDonald's all-caps Reddit AMA included a Robbie Lawler PED accusation

Former UFC welterweight title challenger and current Bellator contender Rory MacDonald didn’t hold back during today’s Reddit AMA.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

MMA Fighter Sergio Da Silva Reportedly Arrested for Alleged Bank Robbery

Mixed martial artist Sergio Da Silva, who competed at Bellator 180 in June, reportedly was arrested Thursday after allegedly robbing a bank in New York City. According to TMZ Sports, Da Silva is accu read news >>

Take 2: Aaron Pico's reboot set for Bellator 183 at featherweight vs. Justin Linn

After a highly publicized stumble out of the gate, Bellator prospect Aaron Pico is changing weight classes and forging ahead. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>