#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #Saturday Night Fights #David Branch #Nate Diaz #GGG #DWTNCS #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

Zach Makovsky 460x270Following a very successful two year stretch where he won eight fights in a row and captured the Bellator 135-pound championship, Zach “Fun Size” Makovsky stumbled in 2012, losing two straight fights, his title and his promotional home.

“It was not the best results for a year that I’ve had,” said Makovsky. “I think I made some mistakes maybe in my approach against (Eduardo) Dantas. I think I could have been more aggressive. I think he is the best guy I’ve fought, and I don’t want to take anything away from him.

“In my fight against (Anthony) Leone, I thought I was the better fighter going in, and I just didn’t perform my best in that fight. I don’t think I did what I needed to do and made some bad decisions in that fight.”

Looking back, Makovsky told MMAWeekly.com that he realizes what he’s done wrong and how to avoid such problems in the future.

“I don’t think there is one thing drastically wrong in either fight,” he said. “I think I just made some bad decisions and need to be smarter in my fights and make sure I make good decisions.

“I didn’t have too good of results, but I honestly feel I’m improving as a fighter.”

Makovsky will have an opportunity to rebound in a new promotion when he makes his Cage Fury Fighting Championships debut Saturday night at the Borgata Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., in a 125-pound title eliminator bout against Claudio Ledesma.

“He’s got a pretty good amount of experience and has a couple fights in Bellator, and I think he’s pretty well-rounded as a fighter,” said Makovsky of Ledesma. “I think jiu-jitsu is his biggest strength, but he’s definitely very capable of fighting everywhere. He’s got a more boxing-style attack standing, and has shown he can definitely wrestle too.

“It’s going to be a fight that’s mixed with ground work and stand-up, so I’m preparing for everywhere. As well-rounded as I think he is, I think I’m better in every aspect and will be able to win the fight wherever it goes.”

Makovsky explained his move to flyweight as not only a physical necessity born from recent fights, but to also help lead his career in a new direction.

“I didn’t want to drop down to 125, but the last three guys I fought walk around over 165, while I walk around at 145, so there’s a significant difference in size,” he said.

“As the sport continues to grow, people are going to get more scientific at weight cutting and if you want to compete with the best guys, you’ve got to evolve with the sport or get left behind. So I think this new weight class will have more opportunity for me.”

As for where those opportunities lay, Makovsky’s eyes are affixed on one promotion in particular.

“The UFC doesn’t have a ton of 125-pound guys on their roster, so they’re looking to expand the division,” he said. “Hopefully I can drop down and get a couple solid wins and make a statement that I deserve to be among the best at flyweight in the world, which I truly do believe I am.”

Comments

Bellator 182 post-event facts: Unbeaten A.J. McKee makes history

Go inside the numbers from this past Friday’s Bellator 182 event in Verona, N.Y., which saw featherweight A.J. McKee set a new standard.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Ex-champ Andrey Koreshkov hopes he may have jumped the line for a Bellator title shot

With a dominant win at Bellator 182, ex-champ Andrey Koreshkov would love to think he jumped the line for another welterweight title shot.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee: I'll show Conor McGregor is human after winning 'real' title vs. Tony Ferguson

Kevin Lee’s ambitions in the UFC’s lightweight division go beyond Tony Ferguson, though he won’t stress over fighting Conor McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 additions include 'The Joker,' 'Cara de Sapato,' 'Godzilla' and 'Boi'

The UFC’s October return to Brazil includes two new matchups and four colorful nicknames.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 182 winner Fernando Gonzalez wants eventual title shot, but knows weight comes first

Fernando Gonzalez moved to an impressive 7-1 in Bellator this past Friday, but knows he has to get his weight cuts figured out, and soon.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182's Bruna Ellen happy with big win over Veta Arteaga, but in no rush with her career

After edging Veta Arteaga at Bellator 182 win, Bruna Ellen is satisfied with how the strategy to halt her opponent’s aggression panned out.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Brooke Mayo booked opposite debuting Kaytlin Neil at Bellator 183 in San Jose

After an unsuccessful, but gritty, Bellator debut, Brooke Mayo is set to welcome Kaytlin Neil into the Bellator cage.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Report: Aussies Alex Chambers, Nadia Kassem booked for UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney

The UFC’s return to the “Land Down Under” has another fight ticketed for the card between a pair of Aussies who used to train together.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Super Six - Fabricio Werdum’s Defining Moments

Fabricio Werdum hopes to move one step closer to a shot at regaining the crown when he faces Derrick Lewis at UFC 216. Read on for a look at six of his defining moments. read news >>