#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo

Former Bellator fighter Raphael Davis has reached a plea agreement with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office following charges stemming from filing fraudulent worker’s compensation claims.

Davis was initially charged after filing worker’s compensation claims from his job as a firefighter in Los Angeles, after suffering injuries on the job. During his time away while collecting worker’s compensation, Davis continued to compete and train in mixed martial arts.

The charges will be reduced from four felony counts of filing false worker’s comp claims to a lone misdemeanor conviction. As part of the agreement, Davis must complete 200 hours of community service and repay the $30,000 he earned during the disability claims.

Davis explained when speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday that the original injury that forced him out of work was a torn labrum suffered when he was still new on the job. Years later the aggravated injury forced him out of work by doctor’s orders.

According to Davis, the entire situation was a big mistake on his part, but in no way was he actually trying to steal money or end up in the kind of trouble that happened with this court case.

“I was trying to do the right thing for my family. My wife wasn’t working at the time, and we had a new kid, and I was just trying to do the right thing. I thought because I was being up front with my doctor, worst case I’m not lying, I can’t get in trouble about this whole thing,” Davis explained.

“That’s just plain stupidity on my part, and here I am.”

Davis says he was in constant contact with his doctor and tried to get cleared to return to his work as a firefighter in Los Angeles, but the injuries he was suffering from were enough to prevent them from allowing him to go back.

The injuries didn’t interfere with his MMA training however, and so Davis continued to compete in several organizations including Bellator Fighting Championships.

“It wasn’t like I was going, I’m trying to steal a bunch of money and get away with this. That wasn’t it, and even at that point I knew I was going to have to pay some of this money back, I knew that, even then. But then again, I was looking to try to better a position here at home, and that’s all it was,” said Davis.

“I never ever made a claim of getting injured either training or at a fight, and then going into work going ‘oh I’m hurt today’.”

Now Davis hopes with the plea agreement in place that he can put this whole ugly situation behind him, and get back to his fight career.

While 2012 will likely be remembered as a nightmare for Davis, he hopes to redeem himself before the year ends and build on this for a much better 2013.

“It’s cost me tons of money, it’s hurt my family in the long run, but it’s nice to finally get this thing behind me and be done with it,” said Davis.

“That way I can move on with my life, and do what I need to do to stabilize my family.”

For more news and rumors make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter

Comments

Bellator Veteran Sergio Da Silva Arrested After Alleged Involvement in Bank Robbery | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator veteran Sergio Da Silva has been arrested in connection with a bank robbery that took place in New York just a few days ago. According to a report from TMZ, Da Silva was arrested after alleg read news >>

Rory MacDonald's all-caps Reddit AMA included a Robbie Lawler PED accusation

Former UFC welterweight title challenger and current Bellator contender Rory MacDonald didn’t hold back during today’s Reddit AMA.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

MMA Fighter Sergio Da Silva Reportedly Arrested for Alleged Bank Robbery

Mixed martial artist Sergio Da Silva, who competed at Bellator 180 in June, reportedly was arrested Thursday after allegedly robbing a bank in New York City. According to TMZ Sports, Da Silva is accu read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2524 with Ovince Saint Preux, NFL vet James Laurinaitis

Stream or download Thursday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Ovince Saint Preux and NFL veteran James Laurinaitis.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 26' cast: Lauren Murphy, UFC veteran who made 'no-brainer' decision

It was tough for Lauren Murphy to leave her husband and son behind to pursue her dream of becoming a UFC champion.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC bonus machine Jim Miller just wants someone – 155er or 170er – to bleed with him

Who wants to shed some blood with UFC veteran and bonus machine Jim Miller?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Take 2: Aaron Pico's reboot set for Bellator 183 at featherweight vs. Justin Linn

After a highly publicized stumble out of the gate, Bellator prospect Aaron Pico is changing weight classes and forging ahead. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC 215 results: Rick Glenn overwhelms Gavin Tucker, who earns no mercy from referee

Eleven-year veteran Rick Glenn turned in one of the best performances of his career, battering a previously undefeated Gavin Tucker.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Referee and judges set for UFC 216's Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee title headliner

Veteran MMA referee Herb Dean will be the third man in the cage for UFC 216’s main event between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch Patricky Pitbull Knock Josh Thomson Out (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Look back at Bellator 172 Patricky Pitbull vs. Josh Thomson in it's entirety! And don't miss Patricky Pitbull's upcoming fight against Benson Henderson. read news >>