#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Darren Till #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #Felice Herrig #Nunes vs. Rousey #UFC 207 - Nunes vs. Rousey

Bellator tournament veteran Alexis Vila will return to 125 pounds on Jan. 19, when “The Exorcist” takes on Joshua Sampo for the Championship Fighting Alliance flyweight title at CFA 9.

“I decided to move back down to flyweight because it is a more natural fit for me,” Vila said in the promotion’s official release. “I only moved to bantamweight to try to further my career and get into the UFC, but now that they have a flyweight division, staying at bantamweight doesn't make sense.”

Subtitled “Night of Champions,” CFA 9 takes place at the BankUnited Center in Coral Gables, Fla. In addition to Vila’s flyweight title clash with Sampo, the event will also see Pride Fighting Championships veteran Luiz Firmino face Bellator alum Luis Palomino for the CFA lightweight strap in the evening’s headliner.

Vila, 41, won a freestyle wrestling bronze medal for his native Cuba at the 1996 Olympics but did not debut in MMA until 2007. The hard-hitting wrestler rattled off nine straight wins before making his Bellator Fighting Championships foray as a bantamweight in 2011, knocking out Joe Warren and edging Marcos Galvao before running into future champion Eduardo Dantas in the Season 5 tournament finals. Vila last competed in April, dropping a unanimous decision to Luis Alberto Nogueira in the opening round of the Season 6 draw.

“I feel I am unbeatable at flyweight. I've been training hard for almost a year waiting for this opportunity. I will walk away with that belt around my waist,” Vila continued. “I know I would run through the guys in the UFC. Many of them have been ducking out of fights with me for years. I want my chance to prove I am the best, and the only way to do that is for the UFC to sign me. Then they will be forced to fight me.”

Sampo, 28, makes his CFA debut on the heels of the biggest win of his career, as “The Gremlin” took a unanimous decision over former World Extreme Cagefighting staple Antonio Banuelos on Sept. 14 under the Texas-based Legacy Fighting Championship banner. Sampo posted a 3-1 record in 2012, with a May knockout defeat to former UFC talent Will Campuzano serving as the lone blemish on his record in his last six fights.

Comments

Bellator 183 results: Roy Nelson falls back on grappling to best Jay Ayala

Veteran heavyweight Roy Nelson got a run for his money against Jay Ayala in his Bellator debut. So he fell back on his grappling to take home the win.Filed under: Bellator, Featured read news >>

LFA 24 results: Curtis Millender scores highlight-reel finish, Mackenzie Dern stays perfect

Four-time Bellator veteran Curtis Millender is looking for a return to the big show, and he certainly helped his cause with a 38-second knockout of a tough Matthew Frincu.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, read news >>

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

Chidi Njokuani moves to middleweight, meets Hisaki Kato at Bellator 189

Chidi Njokuani is opting for a change in weight class for his next fight, which comes at Bellator 189.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator champ Rafael Carvalho meets Alessio Sakara in Italy

A long-rumored middleweight title fight is official for Bellator’s return to Italy.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Report: Valerie Letourneau meets Kate Jackson in promotional debut at Bellator 191 in England

Valerie Letourneau already knew she’d be making her Bellator debut in England in December. Now she apparently has her opponent.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Jeremy Kennedy out, Alex Volkanovski meets Humerto Bandenay at UFC-Sydney

With Jeremy Kennedy out with a back injury, Australia’s Alex Volkanovski will remain on the card in his home country next month. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Veteran UFC lightweight Michael Johnson wants top guys if he moves to featherweight

Michael Johnson, now 31, doesn’t have time to waste if he moves down to featherweight.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 187 additions include 'Baby Slice' and Sinead Kavanagh

Bellator’s Dublin return already had a reshuffled main event, and now it has two more contests scheduled, as well.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Gegard Mousasi enjoying added freedom with Bellator after 'hard road' with UFC

Gegard Mousasi has yet to make his Bellator debut, but already he has glowing reviews for the promotion opposed to his run with the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>