#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Nate Diaz #GGG #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Time To Shine

Dave Jansen secured his spot in the Bellator Season 7 lightweight tournament semifinals with his entertaining submission win Oct. 19 over Magomed Saadulaev.

In a recent interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, he discussed his victory, semifinal opponent Ricardo Tirloni and more.

On grabbing a guillotine choke in the third round: “I had a full tank of gas at that point and I think Saadulaev was sputtering on empty after I hit him with those body shots. … It’s just a testament to my training and my conditioning and my diet. I could have gone five rounds that night easily. That’s my bread and butter, just squeezing on chokes. I can do that all day. And plus, when I threw that on, I realized I had his arm trapped. I was on his throat.”

On Saadulaev: “I knew I could just weather the storm and take my opportunities where I saw them later in the fight, but I think Magomed would be a handful for anyone in the Bellator lightweight division or the featherweight division. … Looking at Magomed Saadulaev now, I think I may have just fought the other toughest guy in the tournament, just the way he came out in that first round.”

On Tirloni: “I’m hoping to get that finish early, whether it be a knockout or a submission. I don’t want to give away too much, but I think it’s going to be an entertaining fight. … I think that’s another great matchup for me.”

On Rich Clementi, who upset Alexander Sarnavskiy in the quarterfinals and fights Marcin Held in the semifinals: “I had the pleasure of being in the same locker room as Rich and I was really rooting for him. I told him before he went out there, I was like, ‘It’s man versus boy, Rich. He’s got no idea what you’re going to bring.’ I think that might be the same situation for Held. Rich is tough as nails and he’s got all the tools. I’m pretty sure he’s got good leg lock defense. I see Rich winning that one.”

On possibly fighting Clementi in the finals: “I was thinking this from the beginning. It’s an international tournament and it’d be really great to have two Americans fighting for the tournament championship.”

On the tournament and the money he could make if he wins: “This means everything to me. … I was working in a restaurant at the same time I started my pro career, but this gives me every option just to be a professional fighter and not have to worry about doing private lessons or coaching or working another job.”

On some of the jobs he’s had besides being a fighter: “I was cooking and serving at a couple of restaurants in Portland here. I’ve done construction in the past, a lot of roofing. At one point I was an ice cream man. I had a little stint as the ice cream man before college. That was fun. Got to drive a mail Jeep with the steering column on the right. That was a little awkward. … But I did have the music going. ‘The Entertainer‘ -- you know that little jingle? That was the one that drew the most. … I tried to push the chocolate tacos, and for the parents, the Magnums were the big-money item.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 31:38).

Comments

Bellator 188 features title rematch between champ Patricio Freire, Daniel Weichel

Daniel Weichel nearly captured the title from Patricio Freire once before.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

A.J. McKee Expecting to Move One Step Closer to Title Shot at Bellator 182 | MMAWeekly.com

At Bellator 182 on August 25, AJ McKee (6-0) will look to build another finishing streak when he takes on Blair Tugman (10-6) in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Undefeated A.J. McKee wants rival James Gallagher for next fight after Bellator 182

Rising Bellator star A.J. McKee’s plan is to win at Bellator 182, fight rival James Gallagher, and then stake his claim for a title shot. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Co-headliner Fernando Gonzalez believes an exciting Bellator 182 display could lead to a title shot

Brennan Ward hasn’t gone the distance in his 14 Bellator encounters, and Fernando Gonzalez is not expecting to change that at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

5 reasons to watch 'Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani,' hiding under the MayMac radar

Most of the MMA world is focused on MayMac this week, but don’t forget about two crucial welterweight fights Friday at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator 182 weigh-in results: Chidi Njokuani heavy, but set for Andrey Koreshkov

Chidi Njokuani once again missed weight for a Bellator fight, coming in four pounds heavy against former champ Andrey Koreshkov.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Chris Honeycutt on Bellator 182 Opponent: 'I Wouldn't Say Kevin Casey Has the Greatest Technique' | MMAWeekly.com

Chris Honeycutt (9-1) returns to Bellator to take on Kevin Casey (9-5-2) in a preliminary card 185-pound on Friday in Verona, N.Y. read news >>

Bellator 182's Colleen Schneider will call out Ilima-Lei MacFarlane – with cameras rolling this time

After fighting her first Bellator bout without cameras, Colleen Schneider plans to make a splash at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 182's Bruna Ellen eyeing finish over Veta Arteaga now, flyweight belt later

Looking to add a second Bellator win to her 1-1 promotional record, Brazilian flyweight Bruna Ellen is not lacking in confidence.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

In his own lane, Chidi Njokuani doesn't care about anyone else ahead of Bellator 182

Chidi Njokuani has been cruising along, but in classic fighter style, he says it doesn’t matter who it’s been against, or where. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>