Chicago-based organization Bellator announced the signing of the 23-year-old Combat Sambo World Champion on November 15 of last year. “Slava” was slated to make his promotional debut March 16 in the opening round Bellator’s Season 6 middleweight tournament against “The Ultimate Fighter” veteran Victor O’Donnell. There is now a question surrounding whether the Russian all-rounder was free to sign with Bellator in the first place, as his former promoter claims to have a valid contract with Vasilevsky.
“The contract was from the beginning of 2010 for two years,” M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan told Sherdog.com this week. “It had a champion clause, which was activated when he won the Selection [tournament] and later the Challenge titles. Currently it expires at the beginning of 2013. He owes us in the region of five fights.”
To enforce the contract, M-1 has taken legal action against Vasilevsky in an Amsterdam court. The trial against their former champion started Jan. 16, with a second hearing on Feb. 6.
“We’ve been saying this all along. Vasilevsky is under contract with M-1. The court decision from the Feb. 6 [hearing] is out this week and after that we will be taking legal action in the US to protect M-1’s rights to our fighter,” Kogan continued. “We will be doing everything we can -- with a judgment from Holland on hand -- to make sure that Vasilevsky doesn’t participate in events held by another organization in the US.”
Bellator representatives declined to give an official comment on the matter when asked by Sherdog.com.
Vasilevsky left his native Russia in fall of 2011 to join K-Dojo in the United States. The Fairfield, N.J., gym has already brokered deals which saw Adlan Amagov join Strikeforce and Khabib Nurmagomedov sign with the UFC late last year.view original article >>
0-0. In certain contexts, it's a pretty auspicious pro MMA record. One of those contexts occurs when you see the 0-0 on a pay-per-view card. There aren't many modern fighters this side of CM Punk who read news >>
Bellator MMA today confirmed the main card for its second pay-per-view event while confirming additional bouts for its Spike-televised lead-in, Bellator 180. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>
The biggest night in Bellator history continues to grow, as the fight promotion on Tuesday firmed up addition bouts for Bellator NYC and Bellator 180. read news >>
Bellator MMA is returning to Oklahoma with a main event pitting Patricky “Pitbull” Freire against Derek Campos. read news >>
A.J. McKee is only 22, but he has grand aspirations for his career, such as claiming a Bellator belt before his next birthday.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>
Bellator lightweight Josh Thomson wants the California State Athletic Commission to overturn his knockout loss to Patricky Freire in the headliner of Bellator 172, MMAjunkie has learned. Filed under: read news >>
A bout between heavyweight veteran Cheick Kongo and Augusto Sakai will complete Bellator 179’s main card, the promotion announced today.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>
A newly announced heavyweight bout featuring Cheick Kongo (26-10-2) against Augusto Sakai (9-0-1) has been added to the Bellator 179: Daley vs. MacDonald event. read news >>
While the UFC has often talked about a women's 125-pound division, Bellator is going full steam ahead and plans to crown a flyweight champion this year. read news >>
The UFC Athlete Outfitting partnership with Reebok hit many fighters hard in the pocket in terms of sponsorship dollars. Veteran light heavyweight Ryan Bader said he was one of them.Filed under: Bell read news >>