#UFC 217 #GSP #UFC Fight Night 120 #Michael Bisping #Fight One #Conor McGregor #Bellator 188 #TJ Dillashaw #Fight Night Sydney

Pat CurranAfter an extremely successful year in 2012 that saw him claim the Bellator featherweight championship, Pat Curran may be even having a better year this year.

So far in 2013, Curran has defended his title twice against two very tough opponents in Patricio “Pitbull” Freire and Shahbulat Shamhalaev. From those fights Curran feels he’s learned a lot and is all the better for them.

“I’m really listening to my body more,” he said. “I’m not pushing through training and keep grinding through injuries. I’m taking better care of my body and taking care of the injuries I have so they won’t cause bigger problems down the road.

“That’s actually made for a much better training camp and my body feels great. I’m not over training right now.”

For Curran’s third title defense, he’ll take on Daniel Straus at Bellator 106 on Friday, Nov. 2. The event was supposed to be Bellator’s first pay-per-view event, but after the Rampage Jackson vs. Tito Ortiz main event blew apart following Ortiz’s injury, the event was moved to free television on Spike TV.

On a card stacked with multiple top tier fighters and other title defenses, it would be understandable if Curran chose to want to push himself to stand out amongst the pack, but that’s not something he’s going to press himself to do.

“I’m not putting too much pressure on myself,” he said. “I just want to go out there and perform the best that I can.

“I try to put on exciting fights for the fans every time I step in the cage. It doesn’t matter if I’m on PPV or not, I’m going to fight my heart out either way.”

When it comes to Straus (21-4), even though Curran (19-4) has defeated him once before, he is looking at Nov. 2 as a whole new fight.

“We fought back in the day really early in our careers and I was able to catch him with a right hand and knock him out,” said Curran. “I’m not looking past that. I know we’ve changed and are completely different fighters. Anything can happen now.

“He’s got really good striking, is very long, uses combinations with his wrestling and grappling. He is coming off a long layoff and an injury, so I’m not sure what to expect, but I am ready to go all five rounds with him if I have to.”

With the success he’s found in Bellator, Curran told MMAWeekly.com that he’s eager to continue on and strike while the iron is hot.

“I don’t like looking past my fights, but obviously in my mind I see myself winning and am very confident in that,” he said. “If there are no injuries and I’m ready to go again, I’d like to get right back in there and keep knocking these fights out.

“I’m still young. I’m 26, and I’m trying to fight as much as possible at an early age and make it better for myself in the long run.”

Comments

Bellator 185 results: Lisa Blaine spoils Ana Julaton's U.S. debut with split-decision win

Lisa Blaine spoiled Ana Julaton’s coming-to-America party on Friday night.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 185 results: Strong early start enough for Ryan Quinn to top Marcus Surin

Ryan Quinn had a strong first two rounds and survived a bit of a rocky third to take a unanimous decision from Marcus Surin. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Twitter reacts to Kristina Williams' bloody upset TKO of Heather Hardy at Bellator 185

See the top Twitter reacts to Kristina Williams’ win over Heather Hardy at Bellator 185.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 185 results: Kristina Williams bloodies Heather Hardy for TKO upset

Kristina Williams put on a clinic against the heavily favored Heather Hardy, leaving the unbeaten pro boxer a bloody mess with a thrashed nose in the second round.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, New read news >>

Bellator 185 results: Neiman Gracie's game plan on point for second-round finish of Zak Bucia

Neiman Gracie joked earlier in the week that no matter his opponent, everyone knows his game plan. And that game plan worked once again.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Twitter reacts to Gegard Mousasi's narrow decision win over Alexander Shlemenko at Bellator 185

See the top Twitter reacts to Gegard Mousasi’s win over Alexander Shlemenko in the Bellator 185 main event.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 185 results: Gegard Mousasi gets past Alexander Shlemenko – and hears it from the fans

It was a pretty rough Bellator debut for Gegard Mousasi, but he got out of the main event with a win over Alexander Shlemenko.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Gegard Mousasi Takes a Beating But Wins Bellator MMA Debut (Bellator 185 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Gegard Mousasi made his Bellator MMA debut on Friday at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut against former champion Alexander Shlemenko. Mousasi got the win but took a beating. Mousasi's read news >>

Check out the Bellator 185 main event scorecard for Gegard Mousasi vs. Alexander Shlemenko

See how the judges scored the controversial Bellator 185 main event between Gegard Mousasi and Alexander Shlemenko.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Gegard Mousasi Bruised in Victory; Heather Hardy Breaks Face in Loss (Bellator 185 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Gegard Mousasi got roughed up, but walked away with a victory in a tough battle with Alexander Shlemenko at Bellator 185. Heather Hardy wasn't so lucky. read news >>