Pat CurranAfter an extremely successful year in 2012 that saw him claim the Bellator featherweight championship, Pat Curran may be even having a better year this year.

So far in 2013, Curran has defended his title twice against two very tough opponents in Patricio “Pitbull” Freire and Shahbulat Shamhalaev. From those fights Curran feels he’s learned a lot and is all the better for them.

“I’m really listening to my body more,” he said. “I’m not pushing through training and keep grinding through injuries. I’m taking better care of my body and taking care of the injuries I have so they won’t cause bigger problems down the road.

“That’s actually made for a much better training camp and my body feels great. I’m not over training right now.”

For Curran’s third title defense, he’ll take on Daniel Straus at Bellator 106 on Friday, Nov. 2. The event was supposed to be Bellator’s first pay-per-view event, but after the Rampage Jackson vs. Tito Ortiz main event blew apart following Ortiz’s injury, the event was moved to free television on Spike TV.

On a card stacked with multiple top tier fighters and other title defenses, it would be understandable if Curran chose to want to push himself to stand out amongst the pack, but that’s not something he’s going to press himself to do.

“I’m not putting too much pressure on myself,” he said. “I just want to go out there and perform the best that I can.

“I try to put on exciting fights for the fans every time I step in the cage. It doesn’t matter if I’m on PPV or not, I’m going to fight my heart out either way.”

When it comes to Straus (21-4), even though Curran (19-4) has defeated him once before, he is looking at Nov. 2 as a whole new fight.

“We fought back in the day really early in our careers and I was able to catch him with a right hand and knock him out,” said Curran. “I’m not looking past that. I know we’ve changed and are completely different fighters. Anything can happen now.

“He’s got really good striking, is very long, uses combinations with his wrestling and grappling. He is coming off a long layoff and an injury, so I’m not sure what to expect, but I am ready to go all five rounds with him if I have to.”

With the success he’s found in Bellator, Curran told MMAWeekly.com that he’s eager to continue on and strike while the iron is hot.

“I don’t like looking past my fights, but obviously in my mind I see myself winning and am very confident in that,” he said. “If there are no injuries and I’m ready to go again, I’d like to get right back in there and keep knocking these fights out.

“I’m still young. I’m 26, and I’m trying to fight as much as possible at an early age and make it better for myself in the long run.”

Video: Bellator 170's Chinzo Machida happy with this late rally – but sees work ahead

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Chinzo Machida’s finish-driven mentality paid off once again at Saturday’s Bellator 170 event, but the karate expert said he needs to improve his takedown defense and ground work. read news >>

Daniel Straus-Patricio Freire 4 announced as Bellator 178 main event

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Patricio Freire and Daniel Straus will go another round – or perhaps five – in the main event of Bellator 178.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

'King Mo' sees 'Rampage' rematch at Bellator 175 as 'revenge of the judges'

Muhammad “King Mo” Lawal has an interesting approach to his rematch with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at Bellator 175 next month.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Watch the Bellator 172 Post-Fight Press Conference Live After the Event | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

The big winners from tonight's Bellator 172: Fedor vs. Mitrione fight card will field questions from the media following the event. read news >>

Bellator 172 main event between Fedor Emelianenko, Matt Mitrione scratched

• a day ago

The highly anticipated Bellator debut of Fedor Emelianenko will have to wait.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Matt Mitrione Bellator 172 Fight Canceled

• a day ago

Saturday night's Bellator 172 has a new main event because the anticipated heavyweight showdown between Matt Mitrione and Fedor Emelianenko has been canceled. Bellator president Scott Coker announced read news >>

Fedor vs. Matt Mitrione Bellator Bout Canceled | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Saturday night's Bellator 172 main event between Fedor Emelianenko and Matt Mitrione has been canceled. read news >>

Bellator boss Scott Coker: Fedor Emelianenko eyes May or June for new fight, possibly in San Jose

• a day ago

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Bellator President Scott Coker admits he's just as disappointed as you are that Fedor Emelianenko didn't fight on Saturday night, but he promises "The Last Emperor" will fight for read news >>

Patricky 'Pitbull' Knocks Out Josh Thomson; Josh Koscheck KO'd in Debut (Bellator 172 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Patricky "Pitbull" Freire demolished Josh "The Punk" Thomson with a forearm uppercut in the second round to earn the biggest victory of his career on Saturday in San Jose, Calif. read news >>

Thomson vs. Freire Results: Winner, Scorecard and Reaction from Bellator 172

• a day ago

It wasn't the main event that people expected, but Patricky "Pitbull" Freire made Saturday night his at Bellator 172, defeating Josh "The Punk" Thomson via second-round TKO at SAP Center in San Jose, read news >>