#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Duelo De Giagantes #Vengeance Fighting Alliance - Round 4 #Vengeance Fighting Alliance VFA Round 4 #VFA: Round 4 #VFA Round 4 #Vengeance Fighting Alliance - VFA: Round 4

Michael Chandler and Eddie AlvarezWhile not many people could have predicted how 2011 went for current Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler, don’t count him among them.

“I knew my 2011 was going to be three fights in the tournament and then a title shot, so my plan was to win all four fights, obviously, and it went according to plan,” he said.

“It showed people that I could win a three-round fight, and that we were able to overcome adversity in a four-round fight with Eddie Alvarez. It really kind of proved to people that I’m here to stay, I’m working my butt off, and that I always try to put on a good show for the fans.”

A former Division-1 All American wrestler, Chandler has always strived for perfection in competition, thus while he’s pleased with his accomplishments, he feels he’s far from finished.

“I’ve got a lot of improvement to make and a lot of hours to get into the gym and get better,” he said. “I think I improved from my first fight in the tournament to the title fight. It showed how hard I’d been working and how hard I’d been trying to improve my all-around game.

“Am I satisfied with how well I did? Yes. But I’m not complacent. I’m ready to get better every fight, put on better shows and exceed people’s expectations even more.”

When asked how things have changed since defeating Alvarez for the Bellator lightweight title in November, Chandler responded, “More than anything for me, my life has changed because now I know with all that’s come to pass the potential that I have.

“I knew I had phenomenal potential coming into the sport, but at the level I’m at it just makes me want to work harder and continue to get better as quick as possible.”

Currently Chandler hopes to return to the cage in late April or May, and when he does, his goal is to continue to defy any critics he has left and be as entertaining as possible for his fans.

“I want to solidify my role as somebody who people want to watch fight,” he said. “(Someone who) is never going to try to hold on for a win, but to try to finish fights and win in dramatic fashion. Whether I have two or three fights this year, I plan not only on winning, but winning in exciting fashion and show my improvements.”

As for a rematch with Alvarez, Chandler told MMAWeekly.com it’s a possibility.

“Yeah, I would be interested in it,” he said. “I know fans want to see it. There are a lot of people out there that say I kind of got lucky or whatnot, but I’m open to whatever. I just want to fight. Whoever it is, whatever Bellator tells me, that’s who I’d like to fight.”

Outside the cage, Chandler urges fans to keep up with him on Twitter and also check out his new company that is more about providing hope than pounding someone into submission.

“I just started a charitable clothing line called Blessed Threads,” he said. “For every t-shirt we sell, 10-percent is going to a St. Louis-based organization called Friends of Kids with Cancer. That’s kind of my project I’m dedicated to aside from fighting.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

Eddie Alvarez Fights

• a year ago

Comments

'King Mo' Lawal isn't willing to pay $100 to watch 'The Money Fight' mismatch

Count Bellator moneyweight contender Muhammed Lawal among those who believes Conor McGregor has absolutely no chance against Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

Bellator 182 pre-event facts: A.J. McKee looks to join history books

For more on the number’s behind Bellator’s latest event, check out 20 pre-event facts about Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Chidi Njokuani's Just Going To Be Himself Against Andrey Koresh at Bellator 182 | MMAWeekly.com

Chidi Njokuani will look to pick up his eighth win in a row when he faces Andrey Koreshkov in the 170-pound main event of Bellator 182 on Friday in Verona, N.Y. read news >>

Bellator 182's Georgi Karakhanyan says he's still hungry, has much left in the tank

It hasn’t been the easiest three years or so for Georgi Karakhanyan, but the veteran featherweight says he’s still got plenty left in him.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio Highlight, Videos read news >>

Pro boxer Ana Julaton talks great 'TUF 26' tryouts experience, hints at unique Bellator negotiations

Boxing standout and ONE Championship vet Ana Julaton may not have gotten the gig she was looking for, but attending “The Ultimate Fighter 26” tryouts was no waste of time.Filed under: Bellator, News, read news >>

Bellator 188 features title rematch between champ Patricio Freire, Daniel Weichel

Daniel Weichel nearly captured the title from Patricio Freire once before.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

A.J. McKee Expecting to Move One Step Closer to Title Shot at Bellator 182 | MMAWeekly.com

At Bellator 182 on August 25, AJ McKee (6-0) will look to build another finishing streak when he takes on Blair Tugman (10-6) in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Undefeated A.J. McKee wants rival James Gallagher for next fight after Bellator 182

Rising Bellator star A.J. McKee’s plan is to win at Bellator 182, fight rival James Gallagher, and then stake his claim for a title shot. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Co-headliner Fernando Gonzalez believes an exciting Bellator 182 display could lead to a title shot

Brennan Ward hasn’t gone the distance in his 14 Bellator encounters, and Fernando Gonzalez is not expecting to change that at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

5 reasons to watch 'Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani,' hiding under the MayMac radar

Most of the MMA world is focused on MayMac this week, but don’t forget about two crucial welterweight fights Friday at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>