Bellator Fighting Championships CEO Bjorn Rebney now knows what he is up against regarding the UFC’s courtship of Hector Lombard.

The Chicago-based promotion’s founder told Sherdog.com on Wednesday that he recently received a copy of the UFC’s proposed contract to Lombard and will soon make a determination on whether to re-sign the heavy-handed southpaw.

“We’ve received the final proposed UFC agreement from Hector’s attorney, and right now we are in the process of reviewing it to determine whether we’re going to match the agreement,” Rebney told Sherdog.com on Wednesday morning. “We’ve got the 60 pages of UFC contract that were forwarded to us by Hector’s counsel. We’ve been waiting on the actual contract itself to see all of the specifics and every conceivable detail and know exactly what is being offered. Now we have something really specific to look at.”

Bellator’s reigning 185-pound champion, Lombard has looked unstoppable during his three years with Rebney’s organization, winning the company’s inaugural middleweight tournament and posting a perfect 8-0 promotional record since his 2009 debut. Lombard’s contract expired earlier this year and the fighter is currently in a period where he may openly negotiate with rival promotions. However, Lombard is not an unrestricted free agent, as Bellator still has the right to match any competing offer.

“The reality is that Hector is going to do extremely well whether he is fighting in the Octagon or the Bellator circle, and I think everybody knew that. He’s one of the best middleweights on the face of the earth,” Rebney said. “He hasn’t fought in a long time, and he had to wait through these periods contractually to get to a point where he could go out and seek an offer from a competing organization.”

While Bellator still has a period to match the UFC’s offer, Rebney has no desire to drag out the negotiations. Instead, he says that the promotion will make a determination soon to avoid stringing the fighter along.

“Out of respect for Hector, I think we will turn [the UFC contract] around very quickly,” said Rebney. “Obviously, we have a huge event coming up Friday [Bellator 66]. As soon as that is over, we will sit down with our partners and go through the UFC contract line-for-line and make a strategic decision whether we’re going to match it or pass. [If we pass, we will] wish him the best and let him go knock out everybody in the UFC.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Nick Diaz Turned Down Rematch with Robbie Lawler | MMAWeekly.com

  • 24 days ago
  • 51 views

UFC president Dana White offered Nick Diaz a fight against former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and Diaz turned down the fight. read news >>

UFC President Dana White on 'TUF 8' winner: 'Bellator is a good place for Ryan Bader'

  • 22 days ago
  • 241 views

HOUSTON – The most tenured light heavyweight fighter in UFC history officially will be taking his talents elsewhere. Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Nate Diaz Responds to Dana White's UFC Fight Offer | MMAWeekly.com

  • 18 days ago
  • 1812 views

UFC president Dana White recently said that Nate Diaz had been offered a fight, and he was awaiting a response. It appears that he now has one. read news >>

Former Bellator champ Will Brooks meets Charles Oliveira at UFC 210 in Buffalo

  • 14 days ago
  • 3 views

The UFC’s return to upstate New York in April has a new lightweight bout set for the lineup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator in Talks with Former UFC Broadcaster Mike Goldberg | MMAWeekly.com

  • 16 days ago
  • 8 views

Longtime UFC broadcaster Mike Goldberg was recently released by the promotion, but could become the latest UFC free agent to come to terms with Bellator. read news >>

UFC boss Dana White watched Ortiz-Sonnen at Bellator 170 – and 'there's no way in hell' it was fixed

  • 24 days ago
  • 121 views

We’re 10 days removed from Tito Ortiz’s submission of Chael Sonnen in his retirement fight at Bellator 170, and there’s still just a little bit of talk left over for it. Filed under: Bellator, Featur read news >>

Dana White: Misha Cirkunov done in UFC after 'flaking out' on new contract

  • 14 days ago
  • 121 views

Rising light heavyweight Misha Cirkunov will apparently not be back in the UFC anytime soon after contract discussions with the free agent went sour, according to UFC President Dana White.Filed under read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Hector Lombard blames octagon losses on 'stupidity' of welterweight run

  • 9 days ago
  • 12 views

HALIFAX – Hector Lombard hasn’t officially won a fight in nearly three years – and he blames no one but himself for the skid.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mike Goldberg Might Be Moving to Bellator | FIGHTLAND

  • 8 days ago
  • 1 views

Photo by Al Powers/Zuffa LLC This past weekend at UFC 208 there was an air of professionalism and reserve to the proceedings longtime fans of MMA may have found disconcerting. After all, this was the read news >>

Ranked light heavyweight Nikita Krylov released from UFC contract

  • 8 days ago
  • 81 views

The UFC light heavyweight division is down another man after Nikita Krylov was released from his contract with the organization this month.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>