#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Fight On #Frankie Edgar #UFC 223 #Alexander Gustafsson #Nate Diaz

Bellator 184's Daniel Straus 'so (expletive) happy' to not fight 'Pitbull,' says 5th fight coming

When Daniel Straus returns to competition on Friday at Bellator 184, he will stand across the cage from someone other than Patricio Freire for the first time in more than two years.

He couldn’t be more thrilled about that fact.

Straus (24-7 MMA, 11-4 BMMA) and Freire (26-4 MMA, 14-4 BMMA) share arguably the most storied rivalry in Bellator history. They’ve fought four times since 2011, with “Pitbull” currently holding a 3-1 advantage. The most recent bout, at Bellator 178 in April, saw Straus lose the featherweight title to the Brazilian by second-round submission. It still frustrates him.

Despite the loss, Straus said he’s ready for a change in scenery when it comes to opponents. He meets Emmanuel Sanchez (15-3 MMA, 7-2 BMMA) in Friday’s Bellator 184 co-headliner, which takes place at WinStar World Casino and Resort in Thackerville, Okla., with a Spike-televised main card following prelims on MMAjunkie.

Ideally Straus would have moved on to fresh competition with the 145-pound belt in his possession, but he’s accepted that’s not currently his reality.

“I’m so (expletive) happy to fight someone different,” Straus told MMAjunkie. “When you have to fight the same guy over and over and over, whether you won or lost, it does get to you.

“Bellator, they’ve done a great job with the matchups. I have nothing against it. But when you fight a guy four times, it kind of gets old. We had great fights. What can you say? Who didn’t want to see us fight again? That’s just how it goes in this business.”

For Straus one of the difficulties in getting past his most recent loss to Freire is the circumstances that surrounded the fight. After earning a unanimous-decision win over Freire in the third meeting, which took place at Bellator 145 in November 2015, Straus was forced into a 17-month layoff due to injuries. Returning from such a long break to defend his title was a great enough challenge on its own, but then he had to fight an opponent who knew him well.

Straus, No. 9 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings, said he blames only himself for the situation. He said he doesn’t want to take credit away from No. 8-ranked Freire – even though he still considers himself superior.

“In that fight I just wasn’t as prepared as I thought I was,” Straus said. “Going into that fight when I was training, the week before the fight I had an incident that took away a lot of my confidence. I had a lot of things that played the part. Mostly coming into there, I didn’t even have a game plan. I was just ready to fight.

“I really do think I am better than Patricio. Hats off to him. He’s always done what he needed to do to become champ and stay champ. You can’t take that away from him. He was everything I wasn’t that night. He won. I can’t say (expletive) about that. I can only go back to the drawing board.”

Regardless of his feelings, Straus knows the scoreboard shows him down to Freire. The ultimate goal is to correct that with a fifth fight (and possibly more), but standing in the way is a tough up-and-comer in Sanchez. Straus praised his upcoming opponent but admitted “he’s not one of the best opponents I’ve fought.” He intends to prove his superiority at Bellator 184, and in his mind, that’s the first step toward regaining the belt.

“If I have to have 10 fights to get back to the belt, that’s fine with me,” Straus said. “I want to get back to that belt, I want to hold that belt, and I want to defend that belt. How many fights? I don’t know. That’s not my call. The only thing I can assure is the people they put in front of me, I’m going to put their ass out. I’m going to knock them down. That’s what my job is. A fifth fight with Patricio will happen.”

For more on Bellator 184, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

James Gallagher wants return at Bellator 200: 'Card won't be complete until I'm on it'

Bellator featherweight prospect James Gallagher is seeking a late-May return to competition, and he knows exactly which card he wants on. read news >>

Cheick Kongo returns against Javy Ayala at Bellator 199 in San Jose

A heavyweight bout between Javy Ayala and Cheick Kongo has been added to May’s Bellator 199 lineup. read news >>

Can Brandon Girtz get signature win – like the ones inside – against Chandler at Bellator 197?

Brandon Girtz has had some big moments so far in his Bellator career. In two weeks, he could have his biggest moment yet. read news >>

Flyweight Champ Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Makes First Defense at Bellator 201 | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. for Bellator 201 on Friday, June 29. The card will be headlined by the San Diego-based Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (7-0), who defends her undef read news >>

Benson Henderson committed to finishing Roger Huerta at Bellator 196 'by all means'

Benson Henderson is sick and tired of having close fights, and he intends on doing something about it in the Bellator 196 headliner. read news >>

Ed Ruth Believes 'Conditioning Will Play A Big Part at Bellator 196 Against Ion Pascu | MMAWeekly.com

Ed Ruth (4-0) will look to further showcase his development in his first fight of 2018 at Bellator 196 in Budapest, Hungary, against veteran Ion Pascu (17-7). read news >>

Video: Holy moly, this Adam Borics flying-knee knockout at Bellator 196 is hellacious

Adam Borics unleashed a hellacious flying knee in the Bellator 196 co-main event. read news >>

Science teacher Josh Sampo returns to MMA at Bellator 187, and he has no worries

It’s been nearly three years since Bellator 197’s Josh Sampo had a fight, and his high school wrestling team has a lot to do with his comeback. read news >>

Aspiring 'Floyd Mayweather of MMA' A.J. McKee aims to stay unbeaten at Bellator 197

23-year-old A.J. McKee returns at Bellator 197, and he’s looking to make an example out of Justin Lawrence. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Michel Chandler's submission of Brandon Girtz at Bellator 197

See the top Twitter reacts to Michael Chandler’s submission win over Brandon Girtz at Bellator 197. read news >>

'Baby Slice' reveals conversation with matchmaker following 34-second win at Bellator 197

Kevin Ferguson Jr. scored the seventh fastest win in Bellator history at Bellator 197. He says the performance enhanced his passion for MMA. read news >>

Bellator 197 highlights: The Michael Chandler slam that separated Brandon Girtz's shoulder

Michael Chandler picked up a record-breaking win at Bellator 197 – one that proved painful for opponent Brandon Girtz. read news >>

Kimbo Slice's Son Baby Slice Picked Up Record-Breaking Victory at Bellator 197

For Kevin Ferguson Jr., also known as 'Baby Slice,' competing as a professional mixed martial artist must come with a bevy of emotions... read news >>

Neiman Gracie wants another submission win at Bellator 198 and, frankly, why wouldn't he?

Neiman Gracie has spent more time fine-tuning his boxing, but he knows what his bread and butter is inside the cage. read news >>

John McCarthy: Fedor Emelianenko will be inspired to prove two things at Bellator 198

Bellator analyst John McCarthy says Fedor Emelianenko will have two key things in mind when he fights Frank Mir at Bellator 198. read news >>

Bellator's Emmanuel Sanchez has 'aggression, pain' to take out on Sam Sicilia (nothing personal)

For Emmanuel Sanchez, beating Sam Sicilia at Bellator 198 is just the next step to becoming champion. read news >>