#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #GSP #TJ Dillashaw #Cody Garbrandt #UFC Fight Night 55

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Paul Daley on Saturday proved he’s still one of the best welterweights in the world when he demolished Lorenz Larkin for a second-round knockout in the Bellator 183 co-main event.

After losing a lopsided fight to Rory MacDonald earlier this year, Daley (40-15-2 MMA, 6-2 BMMA) bounced back with a stellar performance against former Bellator title challenger Larkin (18-8 MMA, 0-2 BMMA), finishing the fight with yet another highlight knockout for his lengthy sizzle-reel.

Daley’s victory, which co-headlined the Spike-televised card at SAP Center in San Jose, Calif., following prelims streamed on MMAjunkie, was easily the most significant of his Bellator career, but it certainly wasn’t surprising to him.

“People, they just underestimate the power so much,” Daley told MMAjunkie after his win. “I don’t understand why. I’ve got 40 wins and 35 knockouts. Why would you want to stand and trade with me? It’s ridiculous. But I got the win. I’m happy, and I’m looking on to the future now, getting into title contention, big names, big fights and more money.

“Every time I get a knockout I feel fantastic. Winning definitely beats losing. The last time I lost against Rory MacDonald, so, it’s fantastic. Lorenz, he was just in my changing room, he’s genuinely a nice guy. He said I got under his skin a bit, and he just wasn’t used to the whole trash-talking thing. He’s a top name. He’s beaten former UFC champions. He’s beaten some top guys. For me, it’s a massive, massive win.”

Daley’s patented left hook was certainly the most significant contributor to his win, but apparently the mental warfare prior to the contest was meaningful, as well. The Brit talked a big game ahead of Bellator 183, as he normally does before his fights, and Larkin was admittedly irked by it.

That tension spilled over to the ceremonial weigh-ins a day prior to the event, when Larkin decided to push Daley and engage in a scuffle during the staredown. Daley said the weigh-in antics somewhat got to him, but apparently not as much as Larkin, who “Semtex” had a peace-making moment with backstage after the fight.

“He came back to the changing rooms, and we spoke a little bit,” Daley revealed. “He’s a cool guy. I don’t know why everyone gets so wound up. They know what (expletive) I’m going to do; I do it every time. I talk a bit of (expletive). I wind them up at the press conference or whatever. He just bit.”

Daley’s win kept his position as one of the top 170-pound contenders in Bellator. At 34, he has said he only has a few years of fighting left, and he wants to use that time participating in the biggest fights possible.

A matchup that’s been brewing with great fan interest is against his countryman Michael Page (12-0 MMA, 8-0 BMMA). There appears to be a genuine disdain between the two competitors, and Daley said it’s just a matter of time until they share the cage, even if he doesn’t see “MVP” as being on his level.

“‘MVP’s’ been talking, but with this win, I think I’ve leapt over that kind of fight,” Daley said. “But I’m open to the fight, because it’s a big fight. I’m just looking for the money and waiting for the title shot. Standup fighters like ‘MVP,’ they can’t beat me. They don’t understand I just have to touch them once, and then it’s lights out. So, it’s whatever. Whatever happens.”

For complete coverage of Bellator 183, check out the MMA Events section of the site.

Galleries

Paul Daley Fights

• 6 months ago

Comments

Champ Ryan Bader to show 'disrespectful' Linton Vassell 'another level' at Bellator 186

Champ Ryan Bader using Linton Vassell’s talk as fuel for his performance in the Bellator 186 main event.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Ilima Macfarlane just fine with Emily Ducote rematch for flyweight title at Bellator 186

Ilima Macfarlane is in a position she never really expected to be in this week – but she’s certainly not going to complain about it.Filed under: News read news >>

Undefeated Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Rocketing Towards Title at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane will go for her first MMA title when she takes on Emily Ducote for the flyweight title in the Bellator 186 co-main event on Friday. read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters weigh in on Ryan Bader vs. Linton Vassell at Bellator 186

Find out who Bellator 186 fighters are picking in the main event between light heavyweight champion Ryan Bader and Linton Vassell.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Logan Storley Will Be Looking To Finish Matt Secor at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

Logan Storley (6-0) will face his toughest challenge yet when he takes on veteran Matt Secor (9-4) in a Bellator 186 preliminary 170-pound bout on Friday. read news >>

Bellator 205-pound champ Ryan Bader interested in heavyweight tournament

Should he successfully defend his light heavyweight title at Bellator 186, Bader is eyeing a future move to heavyweight and a spot in a potential tournament.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Ilima Macfarlane's time for freaking out over title fight at Bellator 186 is over

Ilima Macfarlane was a little nervous in the buildup to Bellator 176 that she’d get to fight week and start to freak out.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

With Anatoly Tokov out at Bellator 188, Jason Radcliffe meets John Salter in Israel

Bellator’s return to Israel later this month has seen a change to a middleweight fight on the main card.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

NBA has Air Jordan; MMA has 'Air' Claxton after his incredible flying knee at Bellator 186

Tywan Claxton said girls that never talk to him slid into his DMs following his insane flying knee at Bellator 186.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

You may not know Leo Leite, but Phil Davis knows the danger at Bellator 186

The name standing across from Phil Davis at Bellator 186 may not jump out to casual fans, but Phil Davis knows what Leo Leite is bringing.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>