#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #Derrick Lewis #Marcin Tybura #UFC Fight Night 57 #Sage Northcutt #Curtis Millender #Thiago Alves #James Vick #Francisco Trinaldo #Sarah Moras

Bellator 182's Joey Davis' modest goals for MMA career? 'I want to be the next big thing'

Joey Davis may have just started his professional MMA career, but he’s already thinking big.

“I want to be the next big thing,” Davis said. “I want to be the next big star. I’m going to be the champion. What’s going to happen after I’m the champion, I don’t know. But I’m going to be the champion.

Looking at Davis’ one-fight pro MMA record, one might be tempted to tell the 23-year-old to hit the brakes on that one. But, when you’re a four-time NCAA Division II national champion who stayed unbeaten throughout 131 wrestling matches, some confidence is warranted.

Davis returns to the Bellator cage tonight, almost exactly one year after a successful Bellator debut. Davis (1-0 MMA, 1-0 BMMA), who took a decision over Keith Cutrone at Bellator 160 to kick off his pro MMA career, meets Justin Roswell (1-1 MMA, 0-1 BMMA) a 175-pound catchweight preliminary card bout.

Bellator 182 takes place at Turning Stone Resort Casino, in Verona, N.Y. The main card airs on Spike and prelims stream on MMAjunkie.

Davis, who also built an unbeaten five-fight amateur MMA record before turning pro, understands the volatile nature of the fight game. But, as someone who spent an entire life – successfully – competing, he is also aware of his own power.

“There’s no way I can be beat if I put my mind to it,” Davis said. “Fighting is a very tough sport. You just get hit and knocked out., god forgive. But I know if I put all my abilities to the test, and I know I’m in the best shape I can be, I am very hard to deal with. Very tough.”

To hear more from Davis on his goals, trajectory and inspiration, check out the video above.

And for more on Bellator 182, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Tywan Claxton seeks more 'alpha male moments' ahead of Bellator 194

Tywan Claxton want to be known for more than just the flying knee knockout of his pro debut. But he says more of the same is on the horizon. read news >>

Ben Saunders didn't want to fight Alan Jouban but knows it's going to be good

• a day ago

Ben Saunders isn’t thrilled about the upcoming “10th Planet on 10th Planet crime,” but he knows he and Alan Jouban are going to throw down. read news >>

Bellator 192 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 192 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. read news >>

Bellator grand prix is officially underway, but the road could now get bumpy

It was a classic understatement from one of the fight game’s classically understated promoters: “As you know, things can happen in a tournament.” read news >>

Bellator 192 Fight Highlights: Chael Sonnen Overcomes 31 Pounds to Topple Rampage | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the full Bellator 192: Rampage vs. Sonnen fight highlights from Saturday night's event. read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Frank Mir tournament fight official for Bellator's return to Chicago in April

Bellator will return to Chicago in April, and two of the sport’s all-time elite heavyweights will meet in an opening-round tourney matchup. read news >>

Fedor vs. Mir Headlines Bellator's Next Chicago Event | MMAWeekly.com

A Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix bout between Fedor Emelianenko and Frank Mir headlines the promotion's return to Chicago. read news >>

Henry Corrales credits move to The MMA Lab for streak that continued at Bellator 192

Henry Corrales credits his move to The MMA Lab in Phoenix for his current three-fight winning streak in Bellator’s featherweight division. read news >>

What was that Grotesque Growth on Rory MacDonald's Shin? | MMAWeekly.com

Just what the heck was that thing popping out of Rory MacDonald's shin at Bellator 192? read news >>

Scott Coker on Cris Cyborg's attendance at Bellator 192: Nothing to see here

UFC champ Cris Cyborg was at Bellator 192 on Saturday night, but despite a pithy comment it was nothing to do with changing teams. read news >>