#UFC Fight Night 123 #Brian Ortega #Cub Swanson #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #UFC 218 #GLORY Redemption #Rico Verhoeven #Marlon Moraes #Aljamain Sterling #Gabriel Benitez #Jason Knight #Francis Ngannou #Max Holloway #Alistair Overeem

Joey Davis may have just started his professional MMA career, but he’s already thinking big.

“I want to be the next big thing,” Davis said. “I want to be the next big star. I’m going to be the champion. What’s going to happen after I’m the champion, I don’t know. But I’m going to be the champion.

Looking at Davis’ one-fight pro MMA record, one might be tempted to tell the 23-year-old to hit the brakes on that one. But, when you’re a four-time NCAA Division II national champion who stayed unbeaten throughout 131 wrestling matches, some confidence is warranted.

Davis returns to the Bellator cage tonight, almost exactly one year after a successful Bellator debut. Davis (1-0 MMA, 1-0 BMMA), who took a decision over Keith Cutrone at Bellator 160 to kick off his pro MMA career, meets Justin Roswell (1-1 MMA, 0-1 BMMA) a 175-pound catchweight preliminary card bout.

Bellator 182 takes place at Turning Stone Resort Casino, in Verona, N.Y. The main card airs on Spike and prelims stream on MMAjunkie.

Davis, who also built an unbeaten five-fight amateur MMA record before turning pro, understands the volatile nature of the fight game. But, as someone who spent an entire life – successfully – competing, he is also aware of his own power.

“There’s no way I can be beat if I put my mind to it,” Davis said. “Fighting is a very tough sport. You just get hit and knocked out., god forgive. But I know if I put all my abilities to the test, and I know I’m in the best shape I can be, I am very hard to deal with. Very tough.”

To hear more from Davis on his goals, trajectory and inspiration, check out the video above.

And for more on Bellator 182, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Former WWE Champion Jack Swagger Signs Bellator Contract

Former WWE star Jack Swagger will try to reinvent himself with a new career in MMA after signing a contract with Bellator, according to Marc Raimondi of MMA Fighting. The 35-year-old, whose real name read news >>

Bellator 188 highlights: John Salter is really on a roll

John Salter’s career resurgence continued at Friday’s Bellator 188 event.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Julia Budd Wants to Prove to the World She Deserves to Be a Bellator Champion | MMAWeekly.com

In rematching Arlene Blencowe at Bellator 189 on Friday, Julia Budd hopes to prove to the world that she deserves her featherweight championship. read news >>

UFC champ Max Holloway not distracted by records: 'I want to be here for a long time'

Even if he beats Jose Aldo again, champ Max Holloway believes there’s still a lot to accomplish before he catches up to the featherweight GOAT.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 189 winner Chidi Njokuani relieved he no longer has to be dragged to scale

It took a loss – his first after a nine-fight undefeated streak – for Chidi Njokuani to realize he was in the wrong division.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Justin Wren plans to fight more frequently, wants Bellator grand prix alternate spot

Add Justin Wren to the list of fighters who wants to be added to the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix 2018 as an alternate.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Jimmy Smith: You better not underestimate champ Rafael Carvalho in Bellator 190 headliner

Just when you want to write Bellator middleweight champion Rafael Carvalho off, he reminds you just how good he is. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Dustin Poirier Demands to Be a Contender in Stacked UFC 155-Pound Division

Dustin Poirier is no longer asking to be taken seriously as a title contender in the stacked UFC lightweight division. After Saturday's third-round submission victory over Anthony Pettis in the main read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor Pissed Off the Wrong Official | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen weighs in on Conor McGregor's transgressions at Bellator 187 and how it might be more serious than it is entertainment. read news >>

Michael Bisping opens as underdog to Kelvin Gastelum in UFC-Shanghai headliner

Will the three-week turnaround to be too much for former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping? The opening odds seem to suggest so.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>