#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #UFC Fight Night 117 #Michael Bisping #Gokhan Saki #Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2

(photo courtesy of Joe Ellenberger)

For Joe “Excalibur” Ellenberger, just being able to fight in 2011 was a big accomplishment.

Upon being diagnosed with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), a rare blood disorder, Ellenberger spent nearly two years away from the sport before returning last year, going 2-1 in the process.

“It was a good year for me just to be able to get back to competition and training full time,” said Ellenberger. “That was something that was actually pretty much in limbo whether or not I’d be able to do it again. And so I think that was just awesome to do it again.

“It was a little bit different because of the way my body was going through changes and having to work in doctor visits every two weeks into my schedule. It’s a process, and getting through it is the biggest part probably.”

While Ellenberger is pleased to be back fighting again, he told MMAWeekly.com that fight performances are still in need of tweaking.

“It’s not up to par for my standards quite yet, but it’s all right,” he said. “The first couple (of fights) my training staff and I knew they were more like a work in progress, rather than a peaking moment. That being said, some of the stuff was good, some of it was bad.

“My last fight (against Justin Salas in a losing effort) was probably my worst performance. Justin is a good opponent, but making that weight cut the first time and not doing a trial cut really hurt. Having a five-round fight, rather than a three-rounder was tough. But we’re always making changes to be better.”

Salas has since made a successful debut at UFC on Fuel TV 1.

Ellenberger will next get a chance to test out his changes against fellow former NCAA Division-II wrestler Jesse Zeugin at Titan FC 21 on Friday night in Kansas City. The event also airs live on HDNet.

“I have a little more fights and more experience, and being able to train a lot of different places gives me an edge,” said Ellenberger. “Obviously, we’re going to be in his home state and he’ll have the crowd in his favor, but it’s fine. Just having the edge in experience and in stand-up and being in the game longer than him will make me better suited for this fight.”

Considering his health situation, Ellenberger is learning to take things step-by-step as he rebuilds his career. But that doesn’t mean he still doesn’t have lofty goals for himself.

“I kind of want to take it fight by fight for my health reasons, because I’m never sure when they’re going to pull the plug or make me sit out, but my main goal is to get back to the UFC and improve my performances and move up,” he said.

Last year Ellenberger could be seen as just happy to return to the sport he loves, but in 2012, his outlook is different.

“Getting back that killer instinct is definitely fueling a lot of my fire,” he said. “Being back is great, but I guess I’m over that hump and now I’m shooting for bigger and better things.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 26' cast: Shana Dobson, the school teacher

When Shana Dobson isn’t training or in the cage, she’s at school teaching fourth-grade kids how to read, write and do math.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor Is the Perfect Loser

You want to know something weird? Conor McGregor isn’t beloved by everyone in Ireland. McGregor is almost certainly the most famous athlete in the history of the country. Nobody comes close, really. read news >>

Why Michel Prazeres isn't mad about UFC champ Conor McGregor's absence

Looking to add a fifth win to his current winning streak on Saturday, lightweight Michel Prazeres has his sights on a rematch with contender Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam's Zabit Magomedsharipov calls out Artem Lobov, who responds immediately

Artem Lobov isn’t one to back down from a fight, even if he already has one booked.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Elite Eight - Demetrious Johnson Fights

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson isn’t just one of the most dominant champions competing in the Octagon at the moment; he may be one of the most dominant ever. As we await Saturday night’s card in E read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos explains Conor McGregor criticism after Floyd Mayweather fight

Rafael dos Anjos isn’t backing down from his Conor McGregor criticism following his boxing defeat to Floyd Mayweather. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amanda Nunes keeps focus on UFC 215 title fight as Hurricane Irma threatens South Florida home

Amanda Nunes isn’t sure she’ll be able to return to her South Florida home after UFC 215 in Canada.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw responds to Johnson-Borg UFC 215 scratch – with emojis

At least one person isn’t broken up about the loss of the UFC 215 main event between champ Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Thiago Alves, American Top Team members staying in South Florida through Hurricane Irma

Thiago Alves says his home isn’t in a risky area and should be safe from the storm.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Mike Winkeljohn defends Jon Jones, doubts he'd fight again after 4-year ban

Jon Jones’ coach isn’t confident he could rebound from a potentially devastating punishment for his failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>