#Conor McGregor #Cris Cyborg #UFC 211 #Nate Diaz #Bellator 179 #Rory MacDonald #Angela Magana #Paul Daley #Jon Jones #UFC 202

(photo courtesy of Joe Ellenberger)

For Joe “Excalibur” Ellenberger, just being able to fight in 2011 was a big accomplishment.

Upon being diagnosed with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), a rare blood disorder, Ellenberger spent nearly two years away from the sport before returning last year, going 2-1 in the process.

“It was a good year for me just to be able to get back to competition and training full time,” said Ellenberger. “That was something that was actually pretty much in limbo whether or not I’d be able to do it again. And so I think that was just awesome to do it again.

“It was a little bit different because of the way my body was going through changes and having to work in doctor visits every two weeks into my schedule. It’s a process, and getting through it is the biggest part probably.”

While Ellenberger is pleased to be back fighting again, he told MMAWeekly.com that fight performances are still in need of tweaking.

“It’s not up to par for my standards quite yet, but it’s all right,” he said. “The first couple (of fights) my training staff and I knew they were more like a work in progress, rather than a peaking moment. That being said, some of the stuff was good, some of it was bad.

“My last fight (against Justin Salas in a losing effort) was probably my worst performance. Justin is a good opponent, but making that weight cut the first time and not doing a trial cut really hurt. Having a five-round fight, rather than a three-rounder was tough. But we’re always making changes to be better.”

Salas has since made a successful debut at UFC on Fuel TV 1.

Ellenberger will next get a chance to test out his changes against fellow former NCAA Division-II wrestler Jesse Zeugin at Titan FC 21 on Friday night in Kansas City. The event also airs live on HDNet.

“I have a little more fights and more experience, and being able to train a lot of different places gives me an edge,” said Ellenberger. “Obviously, we’re going to be in his home state and he’ll have the crowd in his favor, but it’s fine. Just having the edge in experience and in stand-up and being in the game longer than him will make me better suited for this fight.”

Considering his health situation, Ellenberger is learning to take things step-by-step as he rebuilds his career. But that doesn’t mean he still doesn’t have lofty goals for himself.

“I kind of want to take it fight by fight for my health reasons, because I’m never sure when they’re going to pull the plug or make me sit out, but my main goal is to get back to the UFC and improve my performances and move up,” he said.

Last year Ellenberger could be seen as just happy to return to the sport he loves, but in 2012, his outlook is different.

“Getting back that killer instinct is definitely fueling a lot of my fire,” he said. “Being back is great, but I guess I’m over that hump and now I’m shooting for bigger and better things.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Patricky Pitbull And Derek Campos Rematch Headlines Bellator 181 | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator MMA is returning to Oklahoma with a main event pitting Patricky “Pitbull” Freire against Derek Campos. read news >>

Watch a Sneak Peak of Ronda Rousey in 'Blindspot' | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey is still making headlines, and she isn’t even scheduled to fight … yet. read news >>

Manager shoots down Germaine de Randamie retirement rumor, says personal issues exist

UFC women’s featherweight champ Germaine de Randamie isn’t retiring, according to her manager, but she is dealing with some issues behind the scenes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The UFC wished Al Iaquinta happy birthday, and the replies were absolutely priceless

F-bombing your boss isn’t generally recommended as the wisest career choice, but for Al Iaquinta, it seems to be working out just fine.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White, Forrest Griffin take CNN on tour of new UFC headquarters

While the full campus isn’t quite open just yet, UFC employees recently made the move into the company’s impressive new headquarters in Las Vegas, and CNN cameras were invited in for a sneak peek of read news >>

Dana White: We just lost our date for Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather

Dana White still isn’t ready to guarantee that lightweight champ Conor McGregor will, indeed, square up with boxing legend Floyd Mayweather, but the UFC boss does admit negotiations are far enough al read news >>

After overturned win, UFC's Kelvin Gastelum says he's done fighting in Brazil

Don’t expect to see Kelvin Gastelum returning to Brazil for a future fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, May 9: Which division is due for a shakeup at UFC 211?

Take a look at this week rankings to see what’s at stake ahead of a stacked UFC 211 that features two title bouts and a boat load of top-10 fighters.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Bellator, MMA Rankings read news >>

UFC 211 headliner Stipe Miocic: 'I'm not here to make a legacy – I'm here to win'

DALLAS – Stipe Miocic isn’t concerned about what type of legacy he’s going to leave behind after his fighting career is over. However, if his future goes as planned, he knows it will be a good one.Fi read news >>

UFC announces return to Mexico City on Aug. 5, likely UFC Fight Night 114

This summer, the UFC is returning to Mexico City for the fourth time.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>