#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick CruzIf everything goes as planned, interim UFC bantamweight champion Renan Barão will be the next man to challenge Dominick Cruz and the two will unify the 135-pound divisional belts.

As long as Cruz remains on track rehabbing from a devastating knee injury, the two could meet as soon as this summer, following Barão’s win over Michael McDonald in London on Saturday.

“Hopefully Cruz is healing up well and we can do that fight,” said UFC president Dana White when asked what was next for Barão. “That’s the fight I want to do and hopefully we can do that this summer.”

Cruz wants nothing more than to get back in the Octagon, and there is no one that he’d rather face than Barão, the man that has been getting all the attention while Cruz and his belt sit on the sidelines, watching, waiting, assessing… formulating a plan of attack.

Cruz has remained busy during his down time as a part-time analyst on Fuel TV, and the way he broke down the Barão vs. McDonald fight – just minutes after its conclusion – was like a skilled surgeon wielding a scalpel.

What I was noticing was the way McDonald chose to fight Barão,” began Cruz. “It was pretty much the same problems that I thought Barão was gonna give him problems with, and that is, he can’t take down Barão and that gives Barão more chances to win.

“On top of that, he was always looking for the power shots, he wasn’t looking to set up the power shots. He was looking to counter with them or force them.

“The biggest key (in this fight for Barão) was that,” he continued. “It was being able to dictate the range, stay on the outside, be patient and defend. Defense and takedowns are what won this fight for Barão.”

Being so adept at dismantling his opponents’ fighting styles is just one element of what makes Cruz such a dominant champion. What he does with that information is another key.

Not only can Cruz quickly tear down fighting styles, he has an uncanny ability to know what about his own style will work against the fighting style of his opponent.

“I’ll tell you, the difference (Barão fighting me as opposed to McDonald) is I fight different than anybody else,” stated Cruz. “I’m not gonna stand in front of you, I’m not just looking to counter you, and I’m mixing things up.

“On top of that, you take away range with angles. That beats range every day of the week. And I can wrestle. I’m gonna wrestle this guy. I’m not just gonna stand in front of him and strike the whole time. I’m gonna mix it up and keep him guessing.

“Feints ruin the entire game of Barão in my opinion. You take away the range by taking away the jab.”

Cruz is chomping at the bit to step into the Octagon with Barão. Breaking a fighter down on film and then tearing him apart in the cage, that is what Cruz does. That is what makes him the champion he is. That is what he relishes; you can see it in the depth of his eyes.

“These are all things that I understand and I’m gonna break this down in my head, just like I do for you folks (on Fuel TV), when I fight Barão,” Cruz concluded. “And he’s gonna be confused when gets in there looking for me.”

Galleries

Dominick Cruz Fights

• a year ago

Renan Barao Fights

• a year ago

Comments

If Garbrandt or Dillashaw Pulls Out of UFC 217, Dominick Cruz is Ready and Willing | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is willing to step in if champion Cody Garbrandt of TJ Dillashaw have to pull out of UFC 217. read news >>

Dominick Cruz: Alpha Male is Taking Up TJ Dillashaw's Head Space | MMAWeekly.com

The continuing devolution of TJ Dillashaw's relationship with Team Alpha Male is likely to cause problems when he challenges Cody Garbrandt. read news >>

Dominick Cruz: Cody Garbrandt Won't Pull Out of UFC 217 No Matter What | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz explains why current titleholder Cody Garbrandt won't pull out his UFC 217 title defense no matter what. read news >>

Dominick Cruz Returns; Cynthia Calvillo Booked Against Former Champ at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has finally booked his next fight as he will face off with Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. Cruz has been out of action since losing the ba read news >>

Dominick Cruz-Jimmie Rivera, Cynthia Calvillo-Carla Esparza on tap for UFC 219 in Las Vegas

UFC 219 has its first batch of fights, highlighted by the return of Dominick Cruz one year after losing the bantamweight title.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 219 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 219 Date: December 30, 2017 Venue: T-Mobile Arena Location: Las Vegas, NV UFC 219 Fight Card Dominick Cruz (22-2) vs. Jimmie Rivera (21-1) Cynthia Calvillo (6-0) vs. Carla Esparza (12-4) Louis Sm read news >>

Dana White nixes Nate Diaz, says Conor McGregor vs. Tony Ferguson 'has to happen'

For all the copy generated by Conor McGregor’s team about a rubber match with Nate Diaz, the reality, according to Dana White, is that the UFC lightweight champ needs to unify the belt.Filed under: N read news >>

Dana White Confident Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm Will Happen | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino didn't seem very happy with the latest offer for her to face Holly Holm later this year but UFC president Dana White is confident they'll get a deal done. The latest comes direc read news >>

Dana White Says Conor McGregor vs. Tony Ferguson Title Fight 'Has to Happen'

UFC President Dana White has admitted a lightweight title unification showdown between Conor McGregor and Tony Ferguson "has to happen." Ferguson won the interim lightweight crown at UFC 216 in Las V read news >>

What would it take to make Conor McGregor vs. Georges St-Pierre a reality?

Conor McGregor vs. Georges St-Pierre might happen, but according to UFC President Dana White, it’s a long way off.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>