#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Kevin Lee #Darren Till #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Donald Cerrone #Anderson Silva #Cormier vs. Jones 2

bruno-carvalho-1.jpgHe almost made it to 145 pounds. But alas, 149 was where he wound up.

Bruno Carvalho still managed to earn a split-decision win in his most recent fight, which came this past September against Maicon Bastos in Brazil, but he’s headed back to lightweight as he makes his Bellator debut this week.

“I feel great at this weight,” Carvalho told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m excited for the fight and plan to put on a show.”

Carvalho (8-2 MMA, 0-0 BFC), who on Thursday meets Edson Berto (16-10-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) at Bellator 94, this past summer told MMAjunkie.com about his plan to fight at featherweight and lightweight to make himself more attractive to the UFC.

Missing weight, though, is never attractive to big promotions, and Carvalho recognizes the need to make a good impression out of the gate.

“I’m on a two-year contract,” he said. “This fight now is highly important. Depending on the result, I might gain a spot on the next lightweight tournament. It’s an opportunity that I don’t want to let pass.

“I’ve trained as much as I could so I can move up the Bellator rankings. I don’t wish to merely participate. My goal is to be the lightweight champion.”

Bellator 94 takes place at USF Sun Dome. The event’s main card airs live on Spike TV following prelims on Spike.com, which carries Carvalho vs. Berto.

Carvalho left his first chosen sport of muay Thai to pursue a career in MMA, and he’s 8-2 as a professional. He joins dozens of top lightweights who hope to compete in Bellator’s next tournament, which could take place this summer.

Carvalho already has brushed shoulders with the world’s biggest fight promotion. He said he passed tryouts for the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” but the show’s producers decided last minute to recruit talent from the welterweight division.

Now comes another opportunity to gain the kind of exposure he needs to take his career to the next level.

“I see this as the greatest opportunity in my career,” he said. “I going there to dominate. I’ve talked the talk. Now I’m going to walk the walk. I want to be the champ. I want to show the world that I’m No. 1 in my weight class.

“I’ve matured a lot as a fighter since last year. I’m better prepared for greater challenges. I’m more serious now. I don’t party. I just train and go home.”

For more on Bellator 94, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Patricky Freire sees Benson Henderson as tough foe, remains bothered by Josh Thomson

Patricky Freire headlines Bellator 183 against not only a former UFC champion – but also the last guy to beat his own brother. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator books Douglas Lima vs. Rory MacDonald title fight for Jan. 20

The Bellator welterweight title will be on the line in January.Filed under: Bellator read news >>

Rory MacDonald Tapped for Bellator Welterweight Championship | MMAWeekly.com

Rory MacDonald is only one fight deep into his Bellator tenure, but he's already been tapped to challenge for the championship. read news >>

Why you should really pay attention to Paul Daley vs. Lorenz Larkin at Bellator 183

There are certain fights that bring out your inner-fan, and Paul Daley vs. Lorenz Larkin at Bellator 183 is one of them. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Gegard Mousasi requested Alexander Shlemenko be drug tested for Bellator 185

When Bellator middleweight Gegard Mousasi heard he’d be fighting ex-champ Alexander Shlemenko, he requested drug testing. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

What to watch for when Benson Henderson returns vs. Patricky Freire in Bellator 183's headliner

What Benson Henderson and Patricky “Pitbull” Freire need to do to win in Saturday’s Bellator 183 headliner.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Roy Nelson: Bellator 'Actually Loves MMA…Reminds Me of the UFC 10 Years Ago' | MMAWeekly.com

It's been eight years since Roy Nelson last competed in a promotion other than the UFC but on Saturday night he will officially make his debut with Bellator MMA. Nelson, 41, didn't exactly have the b read news >>

Bellator 183 pre-event facts: Roy Nelson moves to Bellator with several UFC records in hand

For more on the numbers behind the fights, check below for 30 pre-event facts about Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 183's Lorenz Larkin gives origin story of Paul Daley beef

Lorenz Larkin sees no need to dress up his fight with Paul Daley, and that’s his problem with the British striker. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko approves of his 'Glorious Sweater of Absolute Victory' bobblehead

It’s perfect.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>