#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Paul Daley #Ovince St. Preux #Lorenz Larkin #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Bellator MMA #Roy Nelson #Gokhan Saki

Julian Erosa-CageSportFollowing the first loss of his career in December, Washington 145-pound prospect Julian Erosa was looking to rebound recently at CageSport 24. Not so much because of the loss, but to not lose to a fighter he had beaten previously.

“After losing to Drew (Brokenshire), it didn’t deter me or break me down too much,” said Erosa. “There were things I could have done and should have done in that fight to win it, but I wasn’t able to do it, and Drew just had a good game plan against me.

“So it was important to come back and get a win, but it really has nothing to do with the Drew fight. It has more to do with having beaten Jason Gybels once before and it would have been more of a heartbreak if he would have beaten me after I had won the first one.”

Luckily for Erosa, he managed to submit Gybels in the second round and raise his record to 10-1 and get back on track.

“I fought Jason once before and got the knockout the first time around, so I knew my hands were probably going to be better than his and I thought for sure he was going to go for the takedown, which he did in the first fight. So I wasn’t really surprised by his effort to take me down,” said Erosa.

“I’m (good at scrambling) on the ground and hard to sub, so I wasn’t worried about that. I was worried about him winning the rounds just on positioning and bullying me around.”

Following a slow start, Erosa managed to step things up in the second and catch Gybels with a triangle choke.

With the win, Erosa told MMAWeekly.com that next he’s looking to avenge his loss from last year.

“I’m pretty sure we’re going to rematch in July, so I’m really stoked about that,” he said. “I know all the stuff I need to do to beat him and work on in camp and perform on that day.

“If I’d lost again, who knows what would have happened? Maybe I’d have to fight a couple more dudes before I’d fight (Brokenshire) again, but (beating Gybels) definitely puts me in line to fight him again and hopefully get the win over him.”

Rematch aside, Erosa’s goal for the remainder of the year is to expand both his game and his exposure in the featherweight division.

“The whole goal for this year is getting out there, training with other camps and just seeing where I fall with higher level guys,” he said. “I come from Yakama, which maybe isn’t the biggest town – and we have a great team here – but it’s always nice to see where you fall with other top pros.

“I really want to try to explore my options and see where I fall in line with UFC guys and see how I do against them and see if I can keep up in the UFC at 145 pounds. I’m just really looking forward to pushing myself this year and maintaining my record and getting into any shows that is going to further my career.”

Comments

Jesse Taylor Flatly Denies Taking Steroids, Vows to Fight UFC Anti-Doping Charge | MMAWeekly.com

Jesse Taylor was recently popped for a UFC anti-doping violation, but he vowed to fight the charges. read news >>

Alex Nicholson picks up heavyweight win, aims for UFC return

Four-time UFC veteran Alex Nicholson is looking for a return to the sport’s top promotion, but he’s hoping to do so in a new division.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Trading Shots: On toughness, tapping to strikes, and the things that only fighters know

David Branch tapped to strikes at UFC Fight Night 116, which usually earns fighters some criticism from fans and peers. But when others fight past the point of good sense, was this actually the smart read news >>

Watch Ovince Saint Preux Make Quick Work of Shogun Rua (UFC Japan Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Ovince Saint Preux make quick work of Mauricio "Shogun" Rua with a quick, brutal finish. read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Branch Fantasy Rewind

At the end of the night, the favorites ruled, with eight fighters coming away victorious according to the picks made by fantasy players. Here's your Pittsburgh Fantasy Rewind. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Tells TMZ He Wants to Fight Jon Jones Again

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier revealed he would be happy to fight Jon Jones for a third time. Jones was stripped of the title he won against Cormier at UFC 214 after the bout was rule read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan

We want your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 event in Japan, which features a new main event between Yushin Okami and Ovince Saint Preux.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Shogun' Rua reveals struggle to try to keep UFC-Japan spot after knee injury early in camp

Ex-UFC champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua apologized to the fans and opponent Ovince Saint Preux after pulling out of UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Report: Rematch between ex-UFC champ Jose Aldo and Ricardo Lamas targeted for December

According to Brazil’s Combate.com, former featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo will get his wish of a 2017 octagon return.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After first UFC knockout, Gilbert Burns wants lightweights to know he's dangerous everywhere

Gilbert Burns already had the titles to show for his grappling, but his walk-off knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh should also serve notice.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>