MENU
#Fight Night Stockholm #Alexander Gustafsson #Glover Teixeira #Colosseum #Mariusz Pudzianowski #Conor McGregor #Dynasty of Heroes #TKO #Fight One #Marcin Held #Damir Hadzovic #UFC 211



As expected, a rematch between Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort has been officially promoted to the main event of UFC 147, which takes place June 23 at Estadio Jornalista Felipe Drumond.

Promotion officials confirmed the booking on Friday. UFC 147 was originally supposed to be headlined by a middleweight title rematch between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen at Joao Havelange Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. However, due to a logistics conflict with the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, that matchup was transplanted to UFC 148, and UFC 147 will now take place in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.

The venue, known as “Mineirinho,” is an indoor arena capable of housing 25,000 spectators. UFC 147 is expected to air on pay-per-view and marks the Las Vegas-based promotion’s third trip to Brazil in the last year. The event will also feature a heavyweight confrontation between Fabricio Werdum and Mike Russow.

"It's great for our fans and the UFC to hold events in new parts of Brazil. The UFC is exploding around the country, and Minas Gerais, and its third largest state, is an ideal place for this,” said Marshall Zelaznik, UFC director of international development, in the official release. Silva and Belfort currently oppose each other as coaches on the first season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” but their rivalry stretches back much further than their time on the reality show. The countrymen first met in 1998 during the UFC’s inaugural Brazilian event, with Belfort blitzing Silva with a barrage of punches to earn a technical knockout in just 44 seconds.

Following their encounter, Silva would go on to rule the Pride Fighting Championships as the Japanese promotion’s longtime 205-pound titlist. Meanwhile, Belfort captured the UFC light heavyweight crown from Randy Couture before losing the belt back to “The Natural” in his first title defense in 2004.

More recently, “The Phenom” has won back-to-back fights since failing in his bid to capture the UFC lightweight title from Anderson Silva last year, while “The Axe Murderer” rebounded from a 27-second loss to Chris Leben this past July by knocking out former Strikeforce champion Cung Le in November.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Vitor Belfort vs. Nate Marquardt Official for UFC 212 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 4 views

Vitor Belfort's final fight inside the Octagon will be against former Strikeforce champion Nate Marquardt at UFC 212. read news >>

UFC official confirms Al Iaquinta remains on 'bonus ban,' offers conflicting recounting of events

  • 21 days ago
  • 556 views

By now, you’ve heard Al Iaquinta’s complaints about the UFC. According to one UFC official, the rage is completely misplaced.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum-Alistair Overeem trilogy fight, Lawler-Cerrone now official for UFC 213

  • 24 days ago
  • 11 views

A pair of high-profile matchups can take the “targeted” and “reportedly” tags off for UFC 213.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yup, it's official: No Anderson Silva at UFC 212

  • 17 days ago
  • 9 views

Former longtime middleweight champion Anderson Silva is officially off the UFC 212 card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch the UFC 211 Weigh-In Live at 7 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

  • 16 days ago
  • 16 views

Watch the UFC 211: Miocic vs Dos Santos 2 official weigh-in on Friday, May 12 at 7 p.m. ET live from American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. read news >>

Belfort vs. Marquardt official, 'The Phenom' confirms UFC 212 will be his final octagon appearance

  • 27 days ago
  • 31 views

At 40 years old, Vitor Belfort is preparing to make his 25th and final trip to the UFC’s famed octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White says UFC women's flyweight division not finalized, despite announcement

  • 24 days ago
  • 11 views

Hours after the announcement, UFC President Dana White said nothing is official regarding a new women’s 125-pound weight class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones Get Heated in Confirming Their UFC 214 Bout | MMAWeekly.com

  • 16 days ago
  • 42 views

As expected, Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones will rematch at UFC 214 on July 29, but the fight announcement wasn't exactly a smooth rollout. read news >>

UFC 211 official weigh-in results

  • 16 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC 211, which is headlined by the five-round heavyweight title bout between Stipe Miocic and Junior Dos Santos, and the strawweight title bout between Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Jessica Andrade, airs li read news >>

Opening odds for Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones 2 favor ex-UFC champ

  • 14 days ago
  • 13 views

As expected Jon Jones has opened as the favorite over his rival and the current UFC light-heavyweight champion, Daniel Cormier.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>