#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Dominick Cruz #Robbie Lawler

Pat Curran has invested his prize money in his craft. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Pat Curran has won two $100,000 Bellator tournament prizes.

What’s he doing with all that dough? Not much. He bought a used car, but other than that, he’s using the money to focus on MMA full time.

“Financially I’m able to put all of my time and focus into the gym now,” Curran said during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “That’s what I wanted. That was my goal. It’s really helping me evolve as a fighter.”

Curran completed his first run through a Bellator tournament in 2010. He defeated Mike Ricci, Roger Huerta and Toby Imada to win the season two lightweight tournament. Then to capture the 2011 Summer Series featherweight field, he beat Luis Palomino, Ronnie Mann and Marlon Sandro. In both tournaments he won three fights in three successive months -- a difficult task, to say the least.

“You’ve got to be really smart with your game plan,” Curran explained. “You’ve got to be very cautious too because you don’t want to get an injury in the first round. If you go in there and have a war and come out with a broken nose or a cut, now you have to do a training camp with that injury and then go into that next round with that injury. That’s the worst part about the tournament format, but I really like the format because you stay busy. You’re active. You don’t have much of a break. I really think you evolve as a fighter. You really see your level jump through that whole training camp and throughout the fights.”

Curran’s progression to this point hit its peak when he knocked out Sandro with a fantastic head kick.

“I watched a lot of footage on him, especially his last two fights in the tournament,” Curran said. “When he gets in exchanges, he starts swinging really wild, throws really heavy shots, but his chin’s wide open in the air. He really exposes himself that way. Especially when he’s bobbing and weaving or slipping punches, his hands aren’t by his chin. … We did notice that in his previous fights, but especially in the first round of our fight, I did notice he was dropping his hands a lot. He wasn’t protecting himself very well. I ended it with that head kick. I just timed it perfectly.”

It was a signature finish for the 23-year-old, who has won seven of his last eight fights. Perhaps more importantly, by beating another quality opponent like Sandro, Curran has entered the discussion when it comes to the top featherweights in the world.

“I definitely see myself hanging with the top featherweights if not beating them,” he said. “I definitely believe that I’m top five, top 10 in the world. My goal is to be number one. I’m going to keep going until I’m the best.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:21:00).

Comments

What Is Benson Henderson's Legacy After Bellator 183?

The Bellator career of Benson Henderson has been turbulent. He's enjoyed two title fights in two separate weight classes since jumping ship from the UFC in early 2016, but he lost them both. After hi read news >>

Pat Curran vs. John Teixeira among 3 additions to next month's Bellator 184

A featherweight scrap between former Bellator champ Pat Curran and Brazilian veteran John Teixeira is among three additions recently made official for next month’s Bellator 184 event.Filed under: Bel read news >>

Injury-Free Pat Curran Aching to Overcome a Broken Couple of Years at Bellator 184 | MMAWeekly.com

On October 6 in Thackerville, Oklahoma, Pat Curran (22-7) takes on John Teixeira (21-2-2) in a main card 145-pound bout at Bellator 184. read news >>

Pat Curran returns at Bellator 184, but how long will he stick around?

Pat Curran’s long layoff ahead of Bellator 184 forced him to figure out life without and after fighting.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 184 results: Ex-champ Pat Curran tops John Teixeira after lengthy layoff

Pat Curran returned after a layoff in excess of 500 days and took a unanimous decision from John Teixeira at Bellator 184.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 184 post-event facts: Pat Curran flirts with Bellator's all-time wins record

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes from Bellator 184, which took place this past Friday in Thackerville, Okla.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Gegard Mousasi's Bellator plan: Shlemenko, title, MacDonald, light heavyweight – then retire?

Gegard Mousasi sees endless possibilities for his Bellator career. But it all starts with Bellator 185.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 184 results: Emmanuel Sanchez taps former champ Daniel Straus in third

Emmanuel Sanchez picked up the biggest win of his Bellator career with a third-round submission of former champion Daniel Straus.Filed under: News read news >>

Video: Nikita Krylov crushes former Bellator champ Emanuel Newton, stays perfect post-UFC

Nikita Krylov remained perfect in his post-UFC career when he defeated former Bellator champ Emmanuel Newton at Fight Nights Global 77.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

LFA 24 results: Curtis Millender scores highlight-reel finish, Mackenzie Dern stays perfect

Four-time Bellator veteran Curtis Millender is looking for a return to the big show, and he certainly helped his cause with a 38-second knockout of a tough Matthew Frincu.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, read news >>