#UFC on Fox 26 #Robbie Lawler #Rafael dos Anjos #Mike Perry #Santiago Ponzinibbio #Jared Cannonier #Bellator 191 #UFC 218 #Josh Emmett #Ricardo Lamas #Oluwale Bamgbose #Alessio Di Chirico #Glover Teixeira #Abel Trujillo #John Makdessi

SAO PAULO – Coming into a fight in peak condition is great if you’re a fighter. But then again, it’s a pretty much a job requirement.

Mastering pre-fight jitters is a highly individual task, and whether or not a fighter is successful depends on many variables, some of which are uncontrollable.

As confident as UFC middleweight Jack Hermansson looks inside the octagon, he admits he still wrestles with anxiety. Heading into a fight, the same fears clutch at him.

“It’s the nerves before you go out,” Hermansson (16-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC), who faces Thiago “Marreta” Santos (15-5 MMA, 7-4 UFC) on Saturday at UFC Fight Night 119, told MMAjunkie. “I feel like it’s still in me when I’m in the octagon – too much.”

But after four fights, those fears don’t have the same hold.

“I think I’ve always had some challenges mentally, and I still have them,” he said. “But what makes me confident is that even though I’m feeling the anxiety, I’m able to perform.

“So I know that when I step up my mental game, I’ll be unbeatable. I think I still have some things to work on, but we’re getting there.”

For all his struggles behind the scenes, Hermansson is enjoying a moment of success in the UFC. He’s won his past two fights by TKO, and is 3-1 in the octagon. When newcomer Michal Materla dropped out of Saturday’s event at Ibirapuera Gymnasium in Sao Paulo, the promotion called him on short notice.

It’s the second time Hermansson has been called into hostile territory on short notice. But he feels better prepared to meet the challenge.

Hermansson now visualizes success on a regular basis to prepare his mind for the same outcome in the cage. He talks about his anxiety with fighters who are good at managing it

Still, he notes, he can never predict when his nerves might strike. So it’s a never-ending process.

“Hopefully, I’m going to get out there and be the best ever,” he said.

For more on UFC Fight Night 119, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

UFC Fight Night 121 results: Adam Wieczorek fights up close, seizes moment to top Anthony Hamilton

In a close fight, promotional newcomer Adam Wieczorek took a decision from a stunned Anthony Hamilton to jerk the curtain at UFC-Sydney.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Sydney prelims brought some violent fights and finishes – and one pretty slick one

Three big finishes, one wild scrap – the UFC Fight Night 121 prelims turned in some memorable action for those who tuned in early.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 218 lineup features 13 fights and featherweight title on the line in return to Detroit

With an amended main event rematch, the lineup is set for next month’s UFC 218 pay-per-view in Michigan.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Chase Sherman not excited for Shamil Abdurakhimov at UFC-Shanghai: He 'fights like a (expletive) girl'

Chase Sherman loses a bit of his twinkle when discussing UFC Fight Night 122 opponent Shamil Abdurakhimov.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Here's the latest 'UFC 219: Cyborg vs. Holm' fight card, and Gokhan Saki is no longer on it

With a headliner and co-headliner now set, the lineup is nearly full for next week’s year-ending UFC 219 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Shamil Abdurakhimov motivated at UFC-Shanghai by Chase Sherman saying he fights like a girl

Shamil Abdurakhimov used some late pre-fight motivation to get a knockout win at UFC Fight Night 122.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

What to Watch Out for at UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 | MMAWeekly.com

Preview some of the best fights to look forward to at UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 with Jon Anik, Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 122 Preview: 3 Can't-Miss Fights from Shanghai Fight Card

Oh, man. Do I really have to pick three? Outside of Michael Bisping, the most notable aspect of UFC Fight Night 122 is its location. After quite a few years of trying, the UFC has finally touched dow read news >>

Dana White: Nate Diaz Turned Down Fights with Everybody on the UFC Roster | MMAWeekly.com

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) Nate Diaz has been the subject of several rumored bouts over the past year or so since he lost to Conor McGregor at UFC 202 in August of 2016. But as frequentl read news >>

Gokhan Saki Out of UFC 219; Khalil Rountree Gets New Opponent for Year End Card | MMAWeekly.com

Gokhan Saki will no longer fight at the year end card on Dec. 30 against Khalil Rountree Jr. read news >>