Antonio Silva had a plan.

Despite being listed as a more than a 3-to-1 underdog for his UFC 156 clash with Alistair Overeem, the former Elite XC champion put a stop to his favored foe’s five-year winning streak at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The victory was a personal one for “Pezao,” who said that he had a specific message ready for Overeem before their fight began.

“He hasn’t respected me for a long time,” Silva told Fox Sports. “In a lot of interviews, he talked a lot of s--- about me. At the press conference, I told him, ‘I will make you respect me, bro.’”

Though Silva would eventually get the better of the former Strikeforce champion, it was Overeem who appeared in total control in the early going. “The Demolition Man” relied on his speed in round one, holding his hands by his sides while beating Siva to the punch.

In round two, Overeem hit a takedown but found it difficult to do any meaningful damage from Silva’s guard. When referee Herb Dean stood the men up, there appeared to be a noticeable change in momentum. Silva then wasted no time in taking advantage of a fatigued Overeem to start the third stanza, clipping the former K-1 world grand prix kickboxing champion with a hard straight before pinning him against the cage and turning out Overeem’s lights with a trio of crushing right hooks.

“My strategy was to go for the second and the third rounds, because I knew he didn’t have good cardio and a good heart,” said Silva. “I know he won the first round. When he put me on the ground [in round two] and used ground-and-pound, it didn’t affect me too much. I said, ‘Hey, let’s go. Punch me hard, man. Let’s go.’ In the third round, he dropped his hands, and I did my job. I knew he was going to be tired in the third round.”

After dropping Overeem, “Bigfoot” began yelling at his fallen foe. Even as Dean did his best to restrain the former super heavyweight, Silva still managed to unleash a brief verbal tirade against “The Reem.”

“I said, ‘Let’s go. Come fight. I want to fight more.’”

Despite his impressive performance, Silva refused to call out his next opponent. Still, the 33-year-old said he will not back down from his next foe, regardless of whom the UFC chooses.

“I don’t know [who I want to fight next]. Now I’m going back to my home to stay with my family. I’m going to rest two weeks and then go back to training,” said Silva. “I’ll fight [whomever] the UFC gives me -- whoever is best for the UFC. I’ll be prepared for the next fight.”

UFC on FOX 23's Francis Ngannou adds Cain Velasquez to hit list with Alistair Overeem, Junior Dos Santos

DENVER – After knocking out former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski, Francis Ngannou listed Alistair Overeem and ex-champ Junior Dos Santos as two fighters he’d like to face next. Filed under: F read news >>

Dana White Wants Amanda Nunes to Pump the Breaks on Featherweight Title Talk (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White wants UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes to "pump the breaks" on her plan to challenge the inaugural women's UFC featherweight champion. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov says the UFC needs to plan for Conor McGregor

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Khabib Nurmagomedov thinks the UFC should “humble” Conor McGregor for wanting to box Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko or 145 next? UFC champ Amanda Nunes lays out her game plan

HOUSTON – UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes appears to have backed away from a plan to immediately challenge for the soon-to-be-realized featherweight belt. Filed under: Featured, Featur read news >>

Niko Price's plan? Didn't include looking 'like a squirrel holding nuts in my cheeks' at UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – Niko Price picked up his second stoppage win in as many trips to the octagon at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event, but he was anything but satisfied with his performance.Filed under: Fea read news >>

After win over 'Zombie,' UFC Fight Night 104's Dennis Bermudez wants interim champ Holloway

HOUSTON – Dennis Bermudez has a plan in place after Saturday night, and it’s a good one. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

You can guess why UFC 209's Alistair Overeem is rooting for Junior Dos Santos at UFC 211

UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem got within striking distance of the title before champ Stipe Miocic knocked him out at UFC 203. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Aiemann Zahabi after UFC Fight Night 105 win: 'I love' pressure my name brings

HALIFAX – Aiemann Zahabi knew added expectations would be placed on him ahead of his UFC debut, because he’s the younger brother of famed Tristar head coach Firas Zahabi. That didn’t place any additi read news >>

Amanda Nunes' plan for 2 UFC belts? 'We need to start pumping the brakes,' White says

DENVER – Amanda Nunes’ ambitious plan for a second UFC title may need to wait a little while longer. At least until she’s earned a few more defenses of her bantamweight title.Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

Stephen Thompson has creative arsenal ready for UFC 209 rematch vs. champ Tyron Woodley

• a day ago

Stephen Thompson’s plan is to bring back his unpredictable offensive arsenal at UFC 209, and if that happens, he believes the rematch with Tyron Woodley will look very different.Filed under: News, UF read news >>