#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Darren Till #Dominick Cruz #Cody Garbrandt #UFC 207 #Donald Cerrone

Antonio Silva had a plan.

Despite being listed as a more than a 3-to-1 underdog for his UFC 156 clash with Alistair Overeem, the former Elite XC champion put a stop to his favored foe’s five-year winning streak at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The victory was a personal one for “Pezao,” who said that he had a specific message ready for Overeem before their fight began.

“He hasn’t respected me for a long time,” Silva told Fox Sports. “In a lot of interviews, he talked a lot of s--- about me. At the press conference, I told him, ‘I will make you respect me, bro.’”

Though Silva would eventually get the better of the former Strikeforce champion, it was Overeem who appeared in total control in the early going. “The Demolition Man” relied on his speed in round one, holding his hands by his sides while beating Siva to the punch.

In round two, Overeem hit a takedown but found it difficult to do any meaningful damage from Silva’s guard. When referee Herb Dean stood the men up, there appeared to be a noticeable change in momentum. Silva then wasted no time in taking advantage of a fatigued Overeem to start the third stanza, clipping the former K-1 world grand prix kickboxing champion with a hard straight before pinning him against the cage and turning out Overeem’s lights with a trio of crushing right hooks.

“My strategy was to go for the second and the third rounds, because I knew he didn’t have good cardio and a good heart,” said Silva. “I know he won the first round. When he put me on the ground [in round two] and used ground-and-pound, it didn’t affect me too much. I said, ‘Hey, let’s go. Punch me hard, man. Let’s go.’ In the third round, he dropped his hands, and I did my job. I knew he was going to be tired in the third round.”

After dropping Overeem, “Bigfoot” began yelling at his fallen foe. Even as Dean did his best to restrain the former super heavyweight, Silva still managed to unleash a brief verbal tirade against “The Reem.”

“I said, ‘Let’s go. Come fight. I want to fight more.’”

Despite his impressive performance, Silva refused to call out his next opponent. Still, the 33-year-old said he will not back down from his next foe, regardless of whom the UFC chooses.

“I don’t know [who I want to fight next]. Now I’m going back to my home to stay with my family. I’m going to rest two weeks and then go back to training,” said Silva. “I’ll fight [whomever] the UFC gives me -- whoever is best for the UFC. I’ll be prepared for the next fight.”

Galleries

Alistair Overeem Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Francis Ngannou vs. Alistair Overeem booked as UFC 218 co-headliner in Detroit

UFC heavyweight prospect Francis Ngannou won’t get a title shot as he wished, but he will get an ex-champion in Alistair Overeem.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Derrick Lewis' plan vs. Fabricio Werdum? 'Swing until hopefully I hit something'

UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis’ back isn’t 100 percent, but he’s still confident he’ll beat ex-champ Fabricio Werdum at UFC 216 with his trademark aggression.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gokhan Saki's UFC debut was kind of crazy, both during and after

You knew Gokhan Saki’s UFC debut was going to be memorable, and it did not fail to deliver the goods.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Matt Schnell knew UFC job was at stake in 'loser-leaves-town' match at UFC 216

Matt Schnell had no doubt in his mind his spot on the roster was at stake at UFC 216Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

John Moraga knew job was on the line, fought back tears after huge KO at UFC 216

When he had a three-fight skid, John Moraga was starting to have doubts about whether or not he should keep pursuing the UFC dream.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Johny Hendricks opens up on move to Jackson Wink MMA

Former UFC welterweight champ Johny Hendricks knew he could no longer continue down the same path after his latest loss.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

Cody Stamann had a plan after wondering why Tom Duquesnoy was getting all the UFC 216 hype

Despite equal records, all the hype for bantamweight UFC prospects seemed to be on Tom Duquesnoy going into UFC 216, not Cody Stamann. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

In new UFC 217 preview, Bisping says GSP was 'a little bitch' for vacating title in 2013

Don’t expect Michael Bisping to show much respect for his upcoming opponent – even a legend of the sport like Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gokhan Saki quickly booked again, meets Khalil Rountree at UFC 219

UFC matchmakers wasted no time booking Gokhan Saki for his second bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>