A middleweight bout between Anthony Smith (17-9 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and fellow promotional newcomer Antonio Braga Neto (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is in the works for UFC on FUEL TV 10.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the planned bout with a source close to the event. Graciemag.com initially tweeted news of the likely matchup.
UFC on FUEL TV 10, which also serves as the finale for “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 2,” takes place June 8, likely at Ginasio Paulo Sarasate in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil. The main card airs on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.
Smith vs. Neto likely will be part of the prelims.
Smith heads to the UFC after a two-fight stint with Strikeforce, where he submitted Lumumba Sayers in his promotional debut before Roger Gracie choked him out in his second bout. Before the January loss to Gracie, the heavy-handed Smith had won nine of 10 fights, which included seven knockouts and three submissions. In fact, “Lionheart” has earned stoppages in all 17 of his pro wins.
The highly touted Neto, meanwhile, fights in his home country of Brazil, where the bulk of his career has taken place. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and world champion grappler, who previously competed at heavyweight and light heavyweight, currently is riding an impressive three-fight win streak that includes submission wins over Douglas Cristian and former UFC fighters Maiquel Falcao and Brock Larson.
With the addition, the UFC on FUEL TV 10 lineup now includes:
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Fabricio Werdum
- TBA vs. TBA – “TUF: Brazil 2? tournament final
- Rafael Cavalcante vs. Thiago Silva
- John Hathaway vs. Erick Silva
- Rony Jason vs. Mike Wilkinson*
- Caio Magalhaes vs. Karlos Vemola*
- Derek Brunson vs. Ronny Markes*
- Ildemar Alcantara vs. Jason High*
- Rodrigo Damm vs. Mizuto Hirota*
- Eddie Mendez vs. Daniel Sarafian*
- Felipe Arantes vs. Godofredo Pepey*
- Antonio Braga Neto vs. Anthony Smith*
* – Not officially announced
For the latest on UFC on FUEL TV 10, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Anthony Smith)