#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Rizin 7 #Michael Bisping

anthony-pettis-24.jpg(This story appears in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

Only one month removed from winning the UFC’s lightweight title, Anthony Pettis already is slated to return to the cage.

While his opponent, Josh Thomson (20-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC), isn’t the man he was expecting to face, Pettis (17-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC) says he is looking forward to the bout nonetheless.

“I definitely think it’s going to be a tough fight,” Pettis told USA TODAY Sports. “He’s 35 years old. This is probably his last chance at a title shot, and he’s coming with everything he has.”

Pettis, 26, claimed the UFC lightweight title in August at UFC 164, where he stunned Benson Henderson with a slick first-round armbar to earn the belt in front of his home fans in Milwaukee.

Pettis was expected to make the first defense of his title against top Canadian contender T.J. Grant (21-5 MMA, 8-3 UFC). However, Grant has yet to be medically cleared to compete after suffering a concussion in training, so Thomson was awarded the slot.

The pair now headline UFC on FOX 9, which takes place Dec. 14 at Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento. The event’s main card airs on FOX.

Thomson, ranked No. 7 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings., was somewhat of a surprise choice after earning only one UFC win since returning to the promotion after nine years of competing in other top-level organizations.

Still, Pettis thinks the booking makes sense given the current state of the division.

“I think he could have used one more fight before the title shot came, but really there’s no clear No.1 contender right now outside of Thomson and Grant,” Pettis said.

“Everybody else has fights coming up, so I think it makes sense. He’s healthy. He’s ready to go, and I want to defend my title.”

Pettis is also on the mend, rehabbing from sprained posterior and collateral cruciate ligaments in his left knee, but he expects to be cleared to resume full training in the next few weeks.

He’s also balancing a busier schedule than in the past, as the spoils of wearing a UFC belt come with a host of new demands.

“I’m trying to manage my time between the appearances and spending time with my daughter,” Pettis said. “I’m adjusting to it, but I would definitely say life has changed a little bit.”

Should Pettis defeat Thomson, Grant likely would come next.

A potential superfight with UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo (23-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) also lurks on the horizon, but Pettis insists he’s not looking beyond Thomson.

“Once I sign to fight, all I worry about is the next guy in line,” Pettis said. “If I worried about the whole division, I’d never sleep.

“Right now, it’s just Thomson, and that’s it.”

Pettis hopes the unexpected booking winds up marking the start of a special run.

“I’m setting new goals,” he said. “I want to be remembered as the guy in mixed martial arts who changed the game. I think with my style, I can definitely elevate the lightweight division and MMA as a whole.

“Anthony Pettis is going to be here for a long time, and I promise the fans that I will make the fights exciting.”

For more on UFC on FOX 9, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Anthony Pettis)

Galleries

Anthony Pettis Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC on FOX 26 tickets on sale this week, and $316 Canadian gets you cageside

• 4 hours ago

The UFC returns to Winnipeg next month, and tickets for the event go on sale this week. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tim Means replaces Jesse Taylor vs. Belal Muhammad at UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney

Tim Means is in for Jesse Taylor against Belal Muhammad at UFC Fight Night 121 next month in Australia.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas rematch co-headlines UFC on FOX 26; Perry-Ponzinibbio, Mein-Silva added

A featherweight rematch from a past title fight has been booked as the co-main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg in December.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Damien Brown meets Frank Camacho at UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney

• 6 hours ago

The UFC’s return to Australia next month continues to build with the addition of a lightweight fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Borrachinha sees Hendricks as the first big step towards a title shot

Paulo Borrachinha is preparing for only his third UFC fight, but the responsibility is the same as that of a more established fighter in the organization, as he faces former champion Johny Hendricks read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See the social media reactions from fighters at this past Friday’s UFC Fight Night 117 card in Japan. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Saki returns to face Rountree at UFC 219

Fresh from a spectacular UFC debut last month, kickboxing icon Gokhan Saki will look to make it two for two in the Octagon when he faces fellow striker Khalil Rountree Jr. in a UFC 219 bout at T-Mobi read news >>

Tony Ferguson's Championship Choke (UFC 216 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Tony Ferguson's interim lightweight title victory over Kevin Lee at UFC 216 on Satur read news >>

UFC 216 reactions: Winning and losing fighters (plus a few who fought to a draw) on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC 216 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Steps into UFC Main Event in Sydney, Mark Hunt Erupts Over Being Pulled | MMAWeekly.com

Three days removed from his most recent fight and Fabricio Werdum has already been booked for his next trip to the Octagon. Following a quick submission win over late notice replacement Walt Harris a read news >>