#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Jon Jones #David Branch #Michael Bisping #Saturday Night Fights #UFC 215

Anthony Pettis at WEC 48Anthony Pettis realized a childhood dream securing the UFC ‘ightweight title with a first-round submission victory over Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in Milwaukee on Saturday night, but it could come at a cost after the new champ felt his knee pop in the opening moments of the fight.

“This is actually my other knee,” Pettis said on the UFC post-fight show on Fox Sports 2. “My right knee was my ACL tear, but I went to check a kick early in the first round and it hit me right in the middle of a groove and I felt my knee just pop.

“I felt it go back and forth, so I don’t know what happened yet. Hopefully it’s not something big and just a bruise, but I will wait until I get my MRI done.”

Despite recent injuries that forced the 26-year-old out of a fight with UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo, Pettis was 100-percent fit coming into Saturday night’s fight and is happy to revisit the idea of fighting Aldo. He’s even happy to drop down to featherweight to make it happen.

“I was 100-percent healthy, but I didn’t have a full camp. I only had a six week camp,” Pettis revealed. “I went from training 100 percent, took four weeks off, I was depressed. I didn’t know whether I would ever be champ.”

But now that he is the UFC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis set his sights on a higher goal.

“I’m here to prove I’m the best in the world. If Aldo wants to fight me, let’s make it happen.”

(Follow @AndrewMMA_ on Twitter)

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Galleries

Anthony Pettis Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Watch Rafael dos Anjos Flatten Benson Henderson: UFC KO of the Week | MMAWeekly.com

Go back to 2014 when Rafael Dos Anjos won Performance of the Night with a knockout of Benson Henderson. Next, he faces Neil Magny at UFC 215. read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko 'Frustrated' By Split Decision Loss, Wants Third Fight with Amanda Nunes | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko left UFC 215 with disappointment on her face after a back and forth battle against women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes ended in a split decision loss. It was a tactical fi read news >>

Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis Announced as UFC Virginia Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

Though it has been expected for quite some time, Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis on Wednesday was officially named the UFC Fight Night 120 main event. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Tells TMZ He Wants to Fight Jon Jones Again

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier revealed he would be happy to fight Jon Jones for a third time. Jones was stripped of the title he won against Cormier at UFC 214 after the bout was rule read news >>

Watch the First-Round Finish That Earned Geoff Neal A UFC Contract | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Watch Geoff Neal and his powerful left hand in the fight that earned him a UFC contract. read news >>

Dana White: 'Not the Fight I was Expecting' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White felt like the fight that Conor McGregor fought against Floyd Mayweather was something different than he expected. read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier official as UFC Fight Night 120 headliner

A lightweight showdown between Anthony Pettis and Dustin Poirier is on for UFC-Norfolk in November.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier Headlines UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Anthony "Showtime" Pettis faces No. 8 ranked Dustin Poirier in the UFC Fight Night 120 main event on November 11. UFC officials announced the headlining bout for the Norfo read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

• 9 hours ago

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Felipe Arantes vs. Josh Emmett added to UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

• 7 hours ago

The upcoming UFC Fight Night 118 event in Poland has a new addition: Felipe Arantes vs. Josh Emmett.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>