#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Michael Bisping #Cody Garbrandt #Robbie Lawler

Anthony-Johnson-UFN24-108-478x270Anthony “Rumble” Johnson makes his heavyweight debut in the main event of World Series of Fighting 2 against former UFC heavyweight titleholder Andrei Arlovski, and aside from the possibility of a rematch with Arlovski, it will likely be a one-time deal for Johnson competing in the heavyweight division.

Johnson, who has competed as low as welterweight (170 pounds), feels light heavyweight is the division best suited for him.

“Unless my man Ray Sefo and Ali (Abdel-Aziz) asks me to take another fight at heavyweight, this is probably my one and only fight at heavyweight right now.  205 is still where I want to be.  It is still my home, so we’ll see,” said Johnson during a media conference call on Wednesday.

“For me and Andrei Arlovski, win, lose or draw, they might want to see a rematch and I might have to fight heavyweight again, so we’ll just see what happens,” he said.

Johnson has struggled to make weight in lower weight classes in the past and thinks not having to cut weight for this fight is a good thing.

“Each fight I get more and more comfortable with myself and the system of fighting that we have.  Of course, not being able to cut weight is always a good thing, so it makes me happier.  I train harder, and I’m more focused, so fighting heavyweight is sort of good, but when you’re fighting a guy like Andrei Arlovski, you have no choice but to be focused and make sure you do everything right,” said the Georgia native.

Putting on some extra weight hasn’t affected Johnson’s abilities or physical attributes.

“I’m like 235 right now.  I don’t plan on getting heavier than that,” he said.  “Everything is still there, the speed, the power.  It is still there.  I’m still an athlete.  I don’t’ feel like I’m sacrificing anything except height.  I believe Andrei is bigger than me, just a little bit heavier than me, but overall that’s it.”

Arlovski, known for his striking prowess, presents more than just a threat with his hands.  Johnson isn’t concerned with anything Arlovski brings to the table, but he’s aware that he has to be on the lookout for everything.

“I’m never concerned with anything when it comes down to fighting,” said Johnson.  “This is MMA.  I have to be on the lookout for everything.  There’s not one thing I have to look out for; I have to lookout for everything.  I can’t just say, I have to watch his hands.  No.  This is mixed martial arts.  I have to watch out for every single thing this man does.”

For a fighter, the biggest fight of your career is always the one that’s in front of you.  Johnson is on a four-fight win streak and a win over Arlovski would certainly be a nice feather in his cap, but Johnson isn’t feeling any pressure heading into the match-up.

“I don’t feel pressure at all,” he said.  “I don’t’ even get nervous before a fight or anything like that.  I’m just calm and relaxed.  It’s a fight.  This is what we do and what we’re trained for so no point worrying about pressure or what anybody has to say.  I just go out there and do my best.”

World Series of Fighting 2 takes place on Saturday at Ovation Hall at Revel in Atlantic City.  The preliminary bouts will be streaming live on MMAWeekly.com.  The main card will air live on NBC Sports Network in the U.S., but stream live on MMAWeekly.com across the rest of the globe.

Galleries

Anthony Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Fight Week with Gokhan Saki in Japan

Kickboxing legend Gokhan Saki makes his debut in Japan Friday night on FXX. Take a special look at his fight week through the power of social media. read news >>

Does the UFC have a real future in China?

After testing the waters with a trio of events in Macau, the UFC soon makes its debut in Mainland China. Is there a future there, though?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Plans To Put It All Together Against Goiti Yamauchi at Bellator 183 | MMAWeekly.com

On September 23, Adam Piccolotti (9-0) will step into the cage for the first time in 10 months when he takes on Goiti Yamauchi (21-3) at Bellator 183. read news >>

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 on St. Patrick's Day makes sense to John Kavanagh. Sure, why not?

If it was up to Conor McGregor’s coach, the UFC lightweight champion and Nate Diaz would complete their trilogy early next year.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Matchmaker Says Khabib Nurmagomedov Was Offered Tony Ferguson at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby reveals plans were in motion for Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov in November read news >>

Matt Brown: 'It's Time for Diego Sanchez to Retire and I Think I'm Going to Retire Him' | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Brown plans on two UFC careers coming to an end in November read news >>

UFC Plans to Donation to Aid Victims of Las Vegas Shooting | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is planning to make a sizable donation to aid the victims of Sunday's tragic shooting in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 216's Kevin Lee intends to prove he's not 'all talk' against 'weird dude' Tony Ferguson

Kevin Lee plans to be the one to back up all his trash talk when he steps in the octagon vs. Tony Ferguson at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee Makes Weight After Dramatic Scare at UFC 216 Weigh-Ins | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee needed an extra hour, but eventually made weight for UFC 216. read news >>