#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Gokhan Saki #Lorenz Larkin #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Roy Nelson #Javy Ayala

Anderson Silva is still game to fight Roy Jones Jr.

The UFC middleweight champion expressed his continued desire to step in the boxing ring with former multi-time world champion Jones on Tuesday during a media conference call to promote Silva’s UFC 162 title defense against Chris Weidman.

“Of course I want to fight [Jones]. Maybe after this fight against Weidman, regardless of the outcome, I would love to fight him,” said Silva through a translator. “He’s already said that he would fight me, also, so that is something I would really like to have happen.”

Before that inter-sport matchup could take place, however, Silva must first face Weidman in his 11th UFC title defense. The pair will clash in the July 6 main event, which takes place at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and airs live on pay-per-view.

Long regarded as one of MMA’s pound-for-pound best, Silva has not lost since January 2006, posting a perfect 16-0 record in UFC competition. Though Weidman is arguably the toughest challenger “The Spider” has faced thus far, Silva nevertheless seems unconcerned with how a loss might affect his legacy.

“I think what’s most important is to set a good example for the kids who watch the UFC and the kids who are coming up,” said Silva. “Whatever I should have done in the sport, I have already done. Win or lose, I’ve already done everything there is to do. Now it’s just a matter of doing what I love to do.”

In spite of Weidman’s impressive skill set and unblemished professional record, Silva said he is most concerned with self-improvement rather than overcoming any specific adversary.

“I don’t really train to think about my opponent. I train to do what I do best -- what I’ve been doing since I was a kid -- which is fighting,” said Silva. “I train to satisfy myself and not anyone else, so I’m not thinking about my opponent. I’m thinking about overcoming myself and getting better at what I do.”

Silva, 38, signed a 10-fight deal with the UFC at the end of last year. Though it appears reasonable that the champion could retire before fulfilling all 10 bouts on that deal, the knockout artist is not ruling anything out as of yet.

“Everything is a possibility, but it really is going to come down to my willpower and my desire to still be fighting,” said Silva. “I have a lot of other things I want to do, and one of those is fighting Roy Jones, but we’re just going to have to see how things work out in the next few fights and how I feel.”

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 7 months ago

Comments

Not Interested in UFC 215? Blame Dana White.

If there existed a Promoter's Rulebook, somewhere among the first few rules listed would be:"Do not bury your athletes, no matter how angry they make you.*"And down at the bottom of the page, in a ti read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Video: Before UFC 215 title shot, watch Valentina Shevchenko's UFC debut vs. Sarah Kaufman

Before she her shot at UFC gold, watch UFC 215 co-headliner Valentina Shevchenko’s UFC debut, which came in 2015 against former Strikeforce champion Sarah Kaufman.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Did Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee's UFC Interim Title Fight Just Lose 10 Pounds? | MMAWeekly.com

A fight between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee has been booked for UFC 216. The bout is supposed to crown an interim UFC lightweight champion. According to a Las Vegas billboard, however, it appears the read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 115 event in Rotterdam, Netherlands, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media. Check out some of those reactions.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Per Häljestam's best photos from UFC Fight Night 115 in Rotterdam

Check out Per Häljestam’s best photos from Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 115 event in the Netherlands.Filed under: Featured, News, Photo Gallery, UFC read news >>

UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg -- Matchmaker Preview | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Matchmakers Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard sit down with UFC commentator Jon Anik to discuss UFC 215, going down on Pay Per View Sept. 9 in Edmonton. read news >>

Reebok and UFC Unveil New UFC Fight Night Collection

Reebok and UFC today introduced their new UFC Fight Night Collection, a holistic update to the official UFC athlete fight night apparel that brings a new aesthetic and style combined with an unpreced read news >>

Check out Reebok's redesigned UFC fight kit, which includes customized fighter walkout shirts

What do you think of the new threads from Reebok?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>