#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215

anderson-silva-47.jpgLAS VEGAS – As far as Anderson Silva is concerned, his legacy is already complete. But if the UFC middleweight champion can stray from the normal title defenses for one blockbuster, he’d rather it comes against boxer Roy Jones Jr. than with UFC champs Georges St-Pierre or Jon Jones.

Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC), who fights undefeated challenger Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) in Saturday’s UFC 162 pay-per-view headliner, would claim his 17th straight UFC win and 11th consecutive title defense if victorious. Yet, heading into the fight, and despite a new 10-fight contract, the 38-year-old has spent a lot of time talking about his legacy.

Why?

“Who knows?” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Wednesday. “Maybe it’s the beginning of the end. Or maybe it’s not.”

If it’s the latter, things could get interesting. UFC President Dana White has already said that if Silva loses to Weidman, he’ll get an immediate rematch. But if victorious, we could see a cross-division superfight with someone like welterweight St-Pierre or light heavyweight Jon Jones, who are both booked for fall title fights.

Silva, though, said neither of those matchups is as attractive as his long-desired bout with Roy Jones Jr., a 44-year-old boxer who hasn’t fought in a year and hasn’t picked up a truly meaningful win in many more. Still, Silva wants to take a detour away from MMA and test his boxing chops against the multi-division titleholder.

“From a professional point of view, my goals have already been accomplished,” Silva said. “I don’t see any greater challenges in my career. I simply seek to be a better human being every day. I try to set a good example to those around me. That’s what’s most important to me. A fight with Jon Jones, with St-Pierre or even with Weidman won’t change anything. The past has been written already.”

So the superfights wouldn’t personally mean much to him?

“I believe a fight against Roy Jones Jr. would be much better,” he said. “… I think my legacy is already complete. I already fought around the world. I think I’m the only athlete in this sport who has four belts from four different promotions. I have the Cage Rage belt. I have the PRIDE belt from when I beat Dan Henderson in a unification bout. I also have the Shooto and UFC belts.”

Silva first mentioned his interest in Roy Jones Jr. four years ago, and he mentioned it again in a recent UFC 162 media call. UFC boss White hasn’t exactly endorsed the plan and said he prefers the champ to focus on MMA pursuits.

But with Silva, White’s learned to expect curveballs. He’s often said the champ is like working with a “temperamental artist,” which can be as irritating as it is fascinating. And though a run-of-the-mill middleweight title fight may not hold the same interest it once did, Silva said his itch won’t won’t be scratched simply by moving up to a new weight class.

“I already went up in weight three times,” said Silva, who defeated a trio of 205-pounders in non-title fights. “I have no plans to do that again. My team has athletes of various weight classes, including my own. I think those fighters should be given the opportunity to do their work, especially since I’m not at the start of my career. I’m pretty much near the end of it. I want to maintain the way things are.”

For more on UFC 162, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 7 months ago

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Jon Jones notified of potential doping violation in wake of UFC 214 title win

Jon Jones was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of a potential failed test, his third overall.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Fails Drug Test Following UFC 214 Win Over Daniel Cormier | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones is in hot water…again. Jones has been notified of a potential doping violation by USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) for a drug test that was administered in competition on July 28 fo read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Tested Positive for Steroids in UFC 214, Stripped of Title

Jon Jones' reign as the UFC light heavyweight champion appears to be over after less than a month. TMZ Sports reported Tuesday that Jones tested positive for Turinabol and has been stripped of his ti read news >>

Twitter reacts to stunning news of Jon Jones testing positive for steroids in wake of UFC 214

Check out how the MMA community reacted to the stunning news of Jon Jones’ latest positive drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Reacts to Jon Jones' Positive Steroids Test Before UFC 214 Win

UFC star Jon Jones reportedly tested positive for Turinabol, an anabolic steroid, prior to his UFC 214 win over Daniel Cormier, according to TMZ Sports. Brett Okamoto of ESPN confirmed the news, alth read news >>

Dana White and Jeff Novitzky to Address Jon Jones UFC Anti-Doping Violation at 10:45p ET | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White and Jeff Novitsky, the UFC's vice president of athlete health and performance, are holding a Jon Jones press conference, Tuesday at 10:45p ET. read news >>

Jon Jones' teammate claims failed drug test for steroids set up: 'They are trying to ruin this kid's life'

Something doesn’t add up to Jon Jones’ teammate, who was with the UFC champ at dinner when he was informed of his test results.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones' Team Releases Statement Following Failed Drug Test from UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Following news that he failed a drug test administered ahead of his fight with Daniel Cormier at UFC 214, Jon Jones and his team released a statement on Tuesday night. UFC officials confirmed that Jo read news >>

Daniel Cormier Responds After Jon Jones Fails Drug Test Following UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier has experienced a roller coaster of emotions over the past few weeks. The former light heavyweight champion suffered only the second loss of his professional fighting career at UFC 214 read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones is the Best Ever, but This Might Be the End of His Career | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones could be facing the end of his storied career. read news >>