#Bellator 191 #UFC 218 #Francis Ngannou #Conor McGregor #UFC 217 #Alistair Overeem #Michael Bisping #Michael McDonald #Peter Ligier #Robbie Lawler #Max Holloway

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes will sit out the rest of the year following her split decision win over Valentina Shevchenko on Saturday.

While Nunes has earned the right to celebrate her victory, the break in action isn’t for rest and relaxation but instead she needs to time for some much needed surgery to clear up constant problems with her sinuses.

Nunes was actually supposed to fight back in July against Shevchenko when her chronic sinus issues flared up and it forced her out of the fight. Now two months later, Nunes admits she still wasn’t at 100-percent going into her bout at UFC 215 but now there’s no getting around needing the surgery before returning to action.

“I’m still very bad. I’m still very congested but I had to push this fight. I can’t hear this girl anymore. The doctors suggested you have to do this surgery, you can’t fight like that,” Nunes said at the post fight press conference.

“I wanted to shut this girl up. [The doctor] tried to help me do everything to get in there, he got me almost 100-percent. The thing happens with me when I travel, the altitude get everything back and I have to do the surgery. Now the first thing when I’m back home, I’m going to do it for sure.”

With surgery coming up as well as Nunes taking time to help her girlfriend Nina Ansaroff prepare for her next fight in November, it appears the reigning champion at 135 pounds will sit out the rest of 2017 before making her return next year.

“Probably not,” Nunes responded when asked if she would fight again in 2017. “I think I’m going to take some time off cause this is breathing, I have to take care of that. Sometimes I’m not able to sleep at night. I have to take care of this moving forward.

“I think I’m going to take a break and then next year I will come back.”

The time off may allow the UFC to find a new opponent to face Nunes considering there’s clear cut No. 1 contender at this time. Raquel Pennington might seem like the most logical choice off four straight victories but she’s been out of action for all of 2017 after having shoulder surgery.

For now, Nunes will just watch from the sidelines as she gets some much needed surgery and some time off after UFC 215.

Galleries

Amanda Nunes Fights

• 11 months ago

Comments

Tyron Woodley Opts for Shoulder Surgery After Nate Diaz Fight Fell Apart for UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is headed under the knife after deciding to have surgery on his injured shoulder. Woodley has been contemplating the surgery since his win over Demian Maia in read news >>

New UFC Champ Nicco Montano Headed for Surgery After Fighting with Broken Foot | MMAWeekly.com

Nicco Montano not only had to fight four times in the past six months to become the new UFC women's flyweight champion but she also won the title while dealing with a severely broken foot suffered ju read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley to Undergo Shoulder Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is going under the knife. After first contemplating surgery on his injured shoulder as far back as this summer following a win over Demian Maia in July, Woodle read news >>

Robert Whittaker and Luke Rockhold's First UFC 221 Face-Off Video | MMAWeekly.com

UFC middleweight champion Robert Whittaker and challenger Luke Rockhold squared off for the first time on Tuesday in Australia. read news >>

Bellator 191 Results & Fight Highlights: Michael McDonald and Valerie Letourneau Win Debuts | MMAWeekly.com

• 15 hours ago

UFC veterans Michael McDonald and Valerie Letourneau made their promotional debuts at Bellator 191 on Friday night in Newcastle, England. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega Weigh-in Face-Offs Video | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) Check out the official weigh-ins for all the fighters competing at UFC Fight Night Fresno: Swanson vs Ortega from Friday morning in Fresno, Calif. TRENDING > Conor McGregor: "I Have read news >>

Check out the UFC Fight Night Fresno: Swanson vs Ortega face-offs from the official weigh-in on Friday morning in Fresno, Calif. read news >>

Dana White, UFC Fighters Rush to Support Keaton Jones, Whose Bullying Video Went Viral | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White and several UFC fighters immediately lent their support to Keaton Jones, a young boy whose bullying video went viral. read news >>

Dana White: 'No Way' Brian Ortega Jumps Over Frankie Edgar as No. 1 Contender | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White was very impressed by Brian Ortega's performance on Saturday night where he tapped out top five-ranked contender Cub Swanson with a second round guillotine choke. The win kep read news >>

UFC Champ Tony Ferguson Opts for Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

Interim UFC lightweight champion Tony Ferguson is on the sidelines, at least for the near term, following surgery. read news >>