#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Fight Night Rotterdam #Holly Holm #Darren Till #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes will sit out the rest of the year following her split decision win over Valentina Shevchenko on Saturday.

While Nunes has earned the right to celebrate her victory, the break in action isn’t for rest and relaxation but instead she needs to time for some much needed surgery to clear up constant problems with her sinuses.

Nunes was actually supposed to fight back in July against Shevchenko when her chronic sinus issues flared up and it forced her out of the fight. Now two months later, Nunes admits she still wasn’t at 100-percent going into her bout at UFC 215 but now there’s no getting around needing the surgery before returning to action.

“I’m still very bad. I’m still very congested but I had to push this fight. I can’t hear this girl anymore. The doctors suggested you have to do this surgery, you can’t fight like that,” Nunes said at the post fight press conference.

“I wanted to shut this girl up. [The doctor] tried to help me do everything to get in there, he got me almost 100-percent. The thing happens with me when I travel, the altitude get everything back and I have to do the surgery. Now the first thing when I’m back home, I’m going to do it for sure.”

With surgery coming up as well as Nunes taking time to help her girlfriend Nina Ansaroff prepare for her next fight in November, it appears the reigning champion at 135 pounds will sit out the rest of 2017 before making her return next year.

“Probably not,” Nunes responded when asked if she would fight again in 2017. “I think I’m going to take some time off cause this is breathing, I have to take care of that. Sometimes I’m not able to sleep at night. I have to take care of this moving forward.

“I think I’m going to take a break and then next year I will come back.”

The time off may allow the UFC to find a new opponent to face Nunes considering there’s clear cut No. 1 contender at this time. Raquel Pennington might seem like the most logical choice off four straight victories but she’s been out of action for all of 2017 after having shoulder surgery.

For now, Nunes will just watch from the sidelines as she gets some much needed surgery and some time off after UFC 215.

Galleries

Amanda Nunes Fights

• 9 months ago

Comments

Stipe Miocic Has Eyes On Next UFC Heavyweight Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic hasn't fought since May, but he's got his sights set on his next fight. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Has New Weapons for Rose Namajunas | MMAWeekly.com

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk promises some new weaponry when she faces Rose Namajunas. read news >>

If Garbrandt or Dillashaw Pulls Out of UFC 217, Dominick Cruz is Ready and Willing | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is willing to step in if champion Cody Garbrandt of TJ Dillashaw have to pull out of UFC 217. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Japan Weigh-in Face-Offs Get a Little Chippy (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the UFC Fight Night 117 fighter staredowns, as a few of the fighters got a little chippy as they went face-to-face. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Struts Her Muay Thai Ring Card Girl Stuff (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC featherweight champion Cris Cyborg couldn't wait to get back in the ring, so she's taken up a position as a ring card girl. read news >>

Michael Bisping Declares He Didn't Dodge Anyone to Get Georges St-Pierre Fight | MMAWeekly.com

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping said he had agreed to defend his belt against Robert Whittaker or Yoel Romero. read news >>

Paige VanZant vs. Jessica Eye Scrapped from UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 216 is down one marquee fight on the main card. Due to an injury suffered by Paige VanZant, the flyweight matchup against Jessica Eye has been scrapped from the event taking place next weekend in read news >>

Dominick Cruz: Cody Garbrandt Won't Pull Out of UFC 217 No Matter What | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz explains why current titleholder Cody Garbrandt won't pull out his UFC 217 title defense no matter what. read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley Drops MLK on NFL Kneelers | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley recently seemingly weighed in on the NFL kneeling controversy. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Weighs In on Alexander Gustafsson or Volkan Oezdemir for Next Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier isn't planning to return in 2017 but that doesn't mean he can't look ahead to what comes next. Cormier was crowned champion again just a few weeks ago af read news >>