When Alistair Overeem tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone and was removed from the UFC 146 main event against UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos, Dana White was not a happy man.
White was visibly upset with the former K-1 Grand Prix champion and went as far as to call him a liar for past conversations they had in which he proclaimed that he would never test positive for a banned substance.
The situation got to a point where White said that while Overeem would still be in the UFC, he would personally no longer deal with him and co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta would be the go do executive to deal with the giant Dutchman.
Well with UFC 148 weekend in full swing, Overeem was in Las Vegas for signings and to announce his new sponsorship deal, but he also took some time to stop by the UFC offices.
There he first met with Lorenzo Fertitta, but he also went out of his way to meet with White in private where the two were able to settle their differences.
“Alistair did meet with me. I think he’s a stud. I liked the meeting, liked what he had to say, and I like the fact that he came in town, he came in the thing he walked in, I saw him walk in he was meeting Lorenzo (Fertitta), I (expletive) walked in my office and shut the door,” White explained following the close of the UFC 148 press conference.
“He went downstairs and waited for 40 minutes until I called him upstairs and then came in my office like a man and nothing but respect for Alistair now.”
White had been vocal about his displeasure in dealing with Overeem after the situation arose that cost the UFC one of the biggest heavyweight fights in the company’s history. Now according to the UFC’s head honcho, Overeem’s actions this week have brought him back into White’s good graces.
“We all make mistakes, we all do stupid (expletive) all the time and I say this all the time it’s all in how you deal with your mistakes and how you handle yourself after. He handled himself like a (expletive) stud,” White stated.
“He was an absolute stud and a man and I respect him for what he did.”
For the last almost two months White was adamant in saying that Overeem’s dealings would only be with Lorenzo Fertitta and he would stay clear.
Now after his meeting with Overeem, the UFC President is in good standing with the fighter who may next challenge for the UFC heavyweight title.
“I guess so,” White answered with a laugh when asked if he was back in the Alistair Overeem business.
Overeem is still currently sitting out until December when he can then re-apply for a fight license in the state of Nevada. There’s been no clear sign of when Overeem will return to the Octagon or if he will indeed fight for the belt upon his return.
One thing is for sure now however…Dana White will be involved in all of those discussions.
James Vick was upset he didn’t get a performance bonus for knocking out Marco Polo Reyes at UFC 211. So he took his complaint directly to UFC brass.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>
UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has said he expects his next fight to be against returning legend Georges St-Pierre, despite organisation president Dana White appearing to cancel the bout o read news >>
On Monday night, UFC president Dana White and his promotion’s lightweight champion Conor McGregor announced that they’d struck a deal on the sharing of their side of a fight purse generated by a boxi read news >>
DALLAS – For former heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos, his failed UFC 211 title bid was a lot more about what current champ Stipe Miocic did right than about what he did wrong.Filed under: News, read news >>
Everything regarding UFC women’s featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie is being kept on the hush, but company President Dana White says answers are coming soon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Despite Cody Garbrandt's doubts about his back injury, UFC president Dana White on Friday declared that his fight with TJ Dillashaw was not being canceled. read news >>
UFC President Dana White told Fox Sports Australia's UFC Fight Week that a planned middleweight title fight between Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping has been called off. According to Fox Sports read news >>
Luke Rockhold didn't take kindly to UFC president Dana White's recent comment that he "hasn't earned anything." He had a pointed response for White. read news >>
If director Guy Ritchie had his way, UFC star Conor McGregor would have been in his new King Arthur movie. On Sunday, Aoife Bannon of the Irish Sun reported Ritchie offered McGregor a role in the fil read news >>
UFC president Dana White on Tuesday addressed the Cris Cyborg battery incident, making the company's first comment on the situation since it occurred. read news >>