#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Conor McGregor #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Bellator MMA #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki

Come December, Alistair Overeem hopes to be fighting in the UFC again and he hopes to be fighting Junior dos Santos for the heavyweight title.

“That’s my goal,” Overeem recently told the Sherdog Radio Network. “I know that the UFC will not promote me on their card as long as I’m not licensed. That being said, we’re going to try to get licensed sooner and I’m confident that I will succeed.”

Overeem had been scheduled to fight dos Santos in Las Vegas in May, but a pre-fight drug test revealed that his testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio was more than double the Nevada Athletic Commission’s limit. In April the commission voted to deny Overeem a conditional fight license and prohibited him from applying again until Dec. 27. He’ll be on the shelf at least until then, but he said the time off isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

“The last few months have actually been calm media-wise, which was good,” Overeem said. “I moved to Miami. I’m full-time here now and I got all settled there. I’m still training, always training, always improving my game. Basically took a small step out of the limelight, enjoyed life a little bit, did what I wanted to do because the last five years have been totally crazy … obligation after obligation, fight preparation after fight prep. It came up to seven fights a year and at three years consecutively. I’m actually having some time off now, which I’m enjoying. I’m actually feeling very well.”

Some fans haven’t been particularly happy with him, though, since news spread of his elevated T/E ratio. Overeem previously explained that the ratio was the result of an injection he was prescribed for lingering injuries and that he had no knowledge it contained testosterone. Now he wants to prove he’s a clean fighter.

“I’m going to test regularly,” Overeem said. “I’m now the most tested fighter out there. For me, that’s something I can do, but we also have to realize that there will always be people who are negative, who are against me, so to speak. There are also people who are for me. That’s just the way it goes. I can only do so much, and if people accept that, that’s fine. If they don’t, that’s also fine.”

Regardless, Overeem wants to be fighting again by the end of the year. In the meantime he’s kept his eye on dos Santos, who stopped Overeem’s replacement, Frank Mir, in May.

“I think it was good,” Overeem said of dos Santos’ performance. “He won the fight. He won it dominantly. Other than that, you know, dos Santos, he’s a good fighter. He’s a champ. I don’t really see that surprise in his fight style. I think I’m the one to beat him.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:11:25).

Galleries

Alistair Overeem Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Alistair Overeem Calls Out Francis Ngannou, 'The Predator' Responds | MMAWeekly.com

If Francis Ngannou wants a shot at the UFC heavyweight title, he might have to go through Alistair Overeem first. The former title contender took to Twitter on Thursday to send a message to the fears read news >>

UFC Rotterdam Fighter Q&A Replay with Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson and Volkan Oezdemir | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of Saturday's UFC Fight Night 115, Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson, and Volkan Oezdemir fielded questions from fans. read news >>

Alistair Overeem Would Say Yes If Asked to Fight Francis Ngannou | MMAWeekly.com

No. 1 ranked UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem is willing to risk his spot to fight lower-ranked Francis Ngannou. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding to fight Gilbert Melendez at UFC 215

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding, which is why he hopes to make Gilbert Melendez’s first night as a featherweight miserable.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC to debut in Fresno on December 9 with UFC Fight Night 123

The UFC will invade a new part of California later this year.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas Verbally Agreed to Meet in December | MMAWeekly.com

It looks like former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is nearing his return to the Octagon. Aldo is currently targeted to fight in December against top five ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in read news >>

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Charles Rosa hopes to get rebooked soon after UFC Fight Night 117 scratch

• a day ago

Featherweight Charles Rosa said the promotion compensated him in spite of his canceled fight against Mizuto Hirota at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Return of 'The Natural Born Killer': Carlos Condit lobbies for UFC fight in December or January

Former interim welterweight champ Carlos Condit emerged on Twitter with a request for UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>