#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Javy Ayala #Fight Night Pittsburgh

As expected, Alistair Overeem will not compete at UFC 146, but in his first statement since failing a drug screen on March 27, the Dutch heavyweight promised to return to the Octagon “soon.”

Through Authentic Sports Management, Overeem on Monday officially announced his withdrawal from UFC 146. The former Strikeforce heavyweight king was scheduled to appear before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday but has instead elected to request a postponement of that hearing.

“I am deeply saddened to announce that on Friday, April 20, I respectfully withdrew from the May 26 event so that I can request a continuance until my situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission is resolved,” Overeem said in the statement. “I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected.

“I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs,” he continued. “I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.”

Following a pre-fight press conference to promote UFC 146, six fighters scheduled to compete on the card -- Overeem, dos Santos, Cain Velasquez, Frank Mir, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva -- were tested randomly. While the other five competitors’ tests came back negative, Overeem submitted a sample with a testosterone to epitestosterone ratio of 14-to-1, more than double the allowable ratio of 6-to-1.

In his statement, Overeem blames the result on a prescribed medication he took to treat an injury he suffered before the March 27 press conference.

“Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone,” Overeem said. “I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body.”

For a while, it appeared as though the UFC was going to wait on Overeem’s originally scheduled April 24 hearing before making decisions regarding the May 26 card, but on Friday night Dana White announced on Twitter that Frank Mir would take Overeem’s spot against dos Santos in the UFC 146 main event. The main card shuffling continued on Sunday, as it was determined that Silva would move to the co-main event -- the spot Mir had vacated -- to take on Velasquez.

Overeem became the No. 1 contender at UFC 141, when he defeated Brock Lesnar via first-round technical knockout at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Overeem had been asked to submit a pre-fight urine sample prior to that Dec. 30 bout, but he was unable to do so immediately due to travel between the United States and the Netherlands. Later, Overeem submitted a sample to an approved testing facility in the United Kingdom and was cleared to fight on the condition that he would be subjected to two random tests after that bout.

“I respect the Nevada Commissioners and Executive Director Keith Kizer and what they are doing to keep the sport of mixed martial arts regulated and safe for athletes. I look forward to working with them in the days and weeks ahead,” Overeem said. “Friends and fans, I ask for your patience as I work through this matter. Please support me. I promise to return to the Octagon soon.”

Galleries

Alistair Overeem Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Rotterdam Fighter Q&A Replay with Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson and Volkan Oezdemir | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of Saturday's UFC Fight Night 115, Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson, and Volkan Oezdemir fielded questions from fans. read news >>

UFC contract winner Lauren Mueller on how failed 'TUF 26' bid helped her be ready for DWCS 8

Lauren Mueller had only three pro bouts when she got the call for Dana White’s Contender Series. But that doesn’t takes from her confidence.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Alistair Overeem Would Say Yes If Asked to Fight Francis Ngannou | MMAWeekly.com

No. 1 ranked UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem is willing to risk his spot to fight lower-ranked Francis Ngannou. read news >>

Ray Borg Releases First Statement After Being Pulled from UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Ray Borg wanted nothing more than to compete for the flyweight title on Saturday night at UFC 215. Unfortunately, a viral infection knocked the top five ranked fighter out of his fight against reigni read news >>

UFC vet Brad Pickett slaps Cage Warriors champ Nathaniel Wood because his dad doesn't

Although UFC and WEC vet Brad Pickett has officially retired from fighting, he isn’t past hitting other men in the face. But don’t worry: It’s for a noble cause.Filed under: Blue Corner, Cage Warrior read news >>

Report: Fertitta Brothers No Longer Own Any Part of UFC after Selling Remaining Stake | MMAWeekly.com

Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta are officially out of the mixed martial arts business. The Fertitta brothers, who last year sold off a majority stake in the UFC for more than $4 billion to a conglomerate read news >>

UFC issues statement on 'viral illness' that forced Ray Borg out of UFC 215; refunds available

The UFC has officially ruled Ray Borg out Saturday’s UFC 215 main event vs. Demetrious Johnson, citing a “viral illness.” Refunds are available to ticket-buyers.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Pearl Gonzalez vs. debuting Poliana Botelho officially booked for UFC 216

Pearl Gonzalez will look to rebound from her UFC debut loss, and hopefully there won’t be a last-minute distraction this time.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones' Win Against Daniel Cormier Overturned to No Contest Due to Failed Drug Test | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones' victory against Daniel Cormier at UFC 214 in July has officially been overturned to a no contest after the embattled light heavyweight champion tested positive for the steroid Turinabol. C read news >>

Daniel Cormier Reinstated as UFC Light Heavyweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. The UFC has officially stripped Jon Jones of the title after his fight against Cormier was overturned to a no contest by the Californi read news >>