#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215

Even though she lost her last fight, women’s 135-pound fighter Alexis Davis may have actually improved her stock.

This past March, Davis squared off against former Strikeforce champion Sarah Kaufman in a hotly contested back and forth fight. Though the majority decision went to Kaufman, Davis is not disappointed.

“Overall I thought it was a great fight, and nobody can say it wasn’t entertaining,” said Davis. “With fights like that there are always things you have to learn about yourself. I would love another chance at Sara again, hopefully.”

Since the fight, Davis has expanded her game even more with a recent move to California. It’s a move she told MMAWeekly.com that was needed and has begun paying large dividends already.

“I’m out in California right now and have changed things up a bit, training with different people and learning new things,” she said. “I kind of had a falling out with my other coach and it was time for a change.

“The amount of MMA fighters, high-level jiu-jitsu fighters and Muay Thai fighters has been a good move for me. Working with women is something new for me. I’ve always worked with guys. You never realize how strong you are until you work with women after you’ve worked with guys the whole time.”

Davis will get a chance to get back in the win column on July 28 when she faces Hitomi Akano in a feature bout at Invicta FC 2 in Kansas City.

“I’m a veteran of the sport, but she really is,” said Davis of Akano. “She’s been around for a long time and has fought a lot of great opponents. A fighter like her is strong-headed and doesn’t give up.

“She’s a southpaw, and it’s the second time I’ve fought a southpaw; so I have some experience in that. I’ve also got to be more worried about her ground game than I have for a lot of my fights. She’s got slick transitions and good submissions. I’ve been working all aspects of my game, but in this case I think I’ll have a stronger stand-up game.”

Should Davis defeat Akano, she hopes to return to Strikeforce and be right back in the title picture.

“Even though having a loss with Kaufman in my last fight, I still feel like I’m in top title contention,” she said. “To have an all-out war with a fighter like Sarah Kaufman and just bang for three rounds should keep me in line for the title.”

With Kaufman facing Ronda Rousey for Strikeforce’s bantamweight title in August, Davis was asked whom she would like to face if she’s able to return to the promotion later this year.

“I kind of want both,” She replied. “I’d like to fight Rousey because everybody’s all up on that slick little armbar of hers, but I don’t think she’s fought a fighter like me with my level of ground game. But then again, what I wouldn’t give to fight Sarah Kaufman again. I figure I got a win/win situation (either way).”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Dana White Believes Mayweather vs. McGregor Will Shatter Pay-Per-View Records | MMAWeekly.com

When Floyd Mayweather versus Manny Pacquiao sold over 4.6 million buys on pay-per-view it felt like that would hold onto the all time record for quite some time. If UFC president Dana White has his w read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Doesn't Think 'Extremely Heavy' Conor McGregor Will Make Weight

Floyd Mayweather said in an interview with FightHype.com that he believes Conor McGregor currently weighs 164 pounds—well above the 154-pound limit for Saturday's fight—and doesn't believe he'll be a read news >>

Co-headliner Fernando Gonzalez believes an exciting Bellator 182 display could lead to a title shot

Brennan Ward hasn’t gone the distance in his 14 Bellator encounters, and Fernando Gonzalez is not expecting to change that at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Evander Holyfield Believes the Mayweather vs. McGregor Fight Was Stopped Early | MMAWeekly.com

Following Floyd "Money" Mayweather's 10th-round stoppage of UFC champion Conor McGregor on Saturday, a lot of people thought the fight was stopped prematurely. read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes One Uppercut Was a Split Second Away from Knocking Out Floyd Mayweather | MMAWeekly.com

On Saturday night, Conor McGregor managed to land more punches in less than 10 rounds than Manny Pacquiao did over 12 rounds in their respective fights with Floyd Mayweather. McGregor was a much heav read news >>

Conor McGregor Says Floyd Mayweather Has 'Strong Tools' He Could Take into MMA

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor believes Floyd Mayweather Jr. has some "strong tools" that'd enable him to be a success in MMA. McGregor had his first professional boxing fight on Saturday ag read news >>

Conor McGregor says with better prep for 12 rounds, he could have beat Floyd Mayweather

Conor McGregor believes cardio got the best of him against Floyd Mayweather, and with one change in prep, he could’ve come out on top.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115's Stefan Struve out to prove once more 'rankings are bull(expletive)'

Stefan Struve believes a win over Alexander Volkov puts him right where he wants to be when it comes to challenging for Stipe Miocic’s belt.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>