#Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC 223 #UFC London #Conor McGregor #Fabricio Werdum #Artem Lobov #Alexander Volkov #Luke Rockhold #Tony Ferguson #Paige VanZant #Holloway vs. Edgar #K-1 #Colby Covington #Rafael dos Anjos #Edson Barboza

Alex Volkanovski wants $50,000 KO at UFC-Sydney, then fight with 'bully' Jeremy Stephens in Perth

SYDNEY – With his third UFC fight in less than a year right around the corner, Alex Volkanovski has a pretty clear plan for his future.

Naturally, it starts with Volkanovski (15-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) taking out short-notice newcomer Shane Young (11-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in their featherweight fight at UFC Fight Night 121 – and in a way that gets him a $50,000 performance bonus.

UFC Fight Night 121 takes place Sunday (but airs live on Saturday in North America due to the time difference) at Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney. It airs on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

Young stepped in for Humberto Bandenay earlier this week, and Bandenay had been a replacement for Jeremy Kennedy. Strangely enough, Volkanovski knows a little about Young.

“We get along with their gym very well,” Volkanovski told MMAjunkie at a media day this week. “I’ve got a guy cornering me who is actually one of his training partners. They haven’t been with each other forever, but it just shows you. At the end of the day, I’m happy for him, but I’ve got to do my thing. I’m looking for that finish and I’m looking for that $50,000.”

But after this weekend, Volkanovski wants to make things a little more regular – like back again in February at UFC 221 in Perth, giving him another fight in front of his home Australian fans.

“I want to fight as regularly as I can,” he said. “I’ll be calling out all these bad boys and these top 15 guys. I’m going to prove why I’m ready for these top guys – I’m getting thrown guys and I’m finishing them, dominating performances, so I’m expecting to do that again. I want a top-ranked opponent, and I want him in Perth.”

Just how top-ranked? For now, how about Jeremy Stephens (26-14 MMA, 13-13 UFC), who despite his .500 UFC record presents a potential opponent with longevity.

“He’s highly ranked, he’s well known, and I’m after these bad boys,” Volkanovski said. “He says he’s a tough guy, he’s a bad boy. I think of him like a bully-type of person. I don’t like bullies. He can try and bully me and we’ll see what happens. I’ve got a job to do on (Saturday), but I’d love to fight him, that’s for sure.”

For more from Volkanovski, check out the video above.

And for more on UFC Fight Night 121, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jeremy Stephens Fights

• 2 months ago

Jeremy Stephens Explains Controversial Strikes During Fight with Josh Emmett at UFC on FOX 28 | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens didn't get to celebrate his knockout win over Josh Emmett for long before hearing cries about some controversial strikes that were landed just before he earned the highlight reel fini read news >>

Daniel Cormier, Dominick Cruz Get Into Heated Debate Over Controversial Strikes at UFC on FOX 28 | MMAWeekly.com

Did Jeremy Stephens strike Josh Emmett with an illegal knee? @dc_mma @dominickcruz and @bisping intensely debate the details of the main event! #UFCOrlando — FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) February 25, read news >>

Jeremy Stephens defends knee at UFC on FOX 28, says nothing dirty about it

Jeremy Stephens said the controversial knee he threw at Josh Emmett in the UFC on FOX 28 main event wasn’t illegal at all. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 bonuses: Jeremy Stephens' violent KO gets him $50,000

Jeremy Stephens, Ilir Latifi, Alan Jouban and Ben Saunders each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at UFC on FOX 28. read news >>

Fighters React to Jeremy Stephens' Finish of Josh Emmett at UFC on FOX 28 | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens rebounded from being dropped by Josh Emmett to win by KO in the second round of the UFC on FOX 28 main event on Saturday in Orlando, Fla. Following the event fighters reacted to the f read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters predict Josh Emmett vs. Jeremy Stephens at UFC on FOX 28

Who wins the UFC on FOX 28 headliner between Jeremy Stephens and Josh Emmett? Fellow fighters gave us their picks. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Jeremy Stephens' brutal (and controversial) knockout win at UFC on FOX 28

See the top Twitter reactions to Jeremy Stephens’ controversial win over Josh Emmett in the UFC-Orlando headliner. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 Athlete Outfitting pay: Jeremy Stephens paces pack in 28th UFC bout

Fighters at UFC on FOX 28 took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $175,500. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Flattens Marcus Davis: UFC Orlando Free Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens flattened Marcus Davis at UFC 125. Don't miss Jeremy Stephens face Josh Emmett on Saturday night at Fight Night Orlando live on FOX. read news >>

Josh Emmett and Jeremy Stephens Ready to Go, but One Fighter Misses Weight at UFC on FOX 28 Weigh-ins

The Ultimate Fighting Championship returns to Orlando, Fla., this week for UFC on FOX 28. The fight card is official following Friday morning's weigh-in. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Cashes In With Biggest Payday at UFC on FOX 28 in Orlando | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens earned a vicious knockout and the biggest paycheck at UFC on FOX 28 from Orlando, Fla. this past weekend. Stephens finished Josh Emmett — albeit under somewhat controversial circumsta read news >>

Andrei Arlovski Earns Unanimous Decision Over Stefan Struve at UFC 222 | MMAWeekly.com

It wasn't the most exciting fight in history but Andrei Arlovski still did enough over three rounds to get a win over Stefan Struve at UFC 222. read news >>

Biceps injury knocks Paulo Costa out of fight with Uriah Hall at UFC-Atlantic City

An injury has knocked a high-profile fight from the UFC’s return to Atlantic City next month. read news >>

Nasrat Haqparast eye condition scraps fight with Nad Narimani at UFC-London

At the 11th hour, the opening bout of today’s UFC Fight Night 127 card has been canceled. read news >>

Former UFC champ Jose Aldo says he accepted fight with Jeremy Stephens in Singapore

Jose Aldo wanted Rio de Janeiro. Jeremy Stephens wanted Chicago. But the UFC featherweights seem to be headed toward Singapore in June. read news >>

Jan Blachowicz vs. Jimi Manuwa Collect Fight of the Night Bonus at UFC London | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship returned to London on Saturday with all but one post-fight bonus going to main card fighters. read news >>

Search for: