alex-garcia.jpgIf Alex Garcia‘s parents would have had their way, “The Dominican Nightmare” would be terrorizing Major League Baseball pitchers rather than Canadian welterweights. As it stands, he’s got his eyes on the UFC.

“In the Dominican Republic, we play a lot of baseball,” Garcia told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I played outfield, but I never liked it. I was forced to play by my parents.

“It’s serious down there. When you’re a kid, the first thing they give you is a glove, a ball and a baseball bat.”

Garcia (8-1) grew up in the Dominican Republic, an island nation of less than 10 million people that bats well above its weight in terms of producing professional baseball players. Garcia played along, but when he was finally old enough to make his own decisions, he gravitated toward jiu-jitsu.

That ignited a passion that drove him to pursue a career in mixed martial arts.

“I started training, and I liked it, so I decided to become a fighter,” Garcia said. “I didn’t go amateur. I turned pro right away.”

It was 2009 when Garcia made his professional debut, and he instantly knew it would provide his future. Hoping to look for better training opportunities, he packed up and moved to Canada.

“I wanted to become better at my sport,” Garcia said.

Just three months after relocating to the Great White North, Garcia caught a tremendous break. Training in a few local clubs, Garcia was at wrestling practice when UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre stopped by the class. An invitation to join him at Montreal’s famed Tristar Gym followed.

“He was fighting Thiago Alves at that time,” Garcia recalled. “He brought me to Tristar, and he’s been helping me a lot.”

The results have been evident in the cage. The 25-year-old Garcia is 8-1 in his first nine career fights, and seven of those wins have been courtesy of first-round stoppages. The lone setback came in an April 2011 bout with Seth Baczynski, and “The Polish Pistola” fought his next fight in the UFC’s octagon.

“I think it’s one of the best things that happened to me, that loss,” Garcia said. “I learned exactly what I needed to do in my fighting game and other things I needed to work on – my striking, controlling the pace. It’s not a streetfight. It’s professional fighting.”

Garcia has since bounced back with a pair of first-round victories. A knee surgery limited him to just one fight in 2012, but now he’s back to full strength and looking to make waves.

He competes again on Saturday, when he meets undefeated prospect Ryan Dickson (5-0) on the main card of Challenge MMA 1, which takes place at Colisée Isabelle-Brasseur in Saint-Jean sur Richelieu, Quebec, Canada.

Garcia admits he’s considering what could potentially lie ahead for him with a win, but he’s also intent on not losing focus on the immediate task at hand. After all, if he gave up his parents’ dream in order to chase his own, Garcia knows he needs to do whatever it takes to deliver.

“I don’t know, I just see myself fighting in the UFC,” Garcia said. “If it’s after this next fight, great, but if not, I’ll just keeping fighting outside of the UFC, getting better and kicking some ass.

“First I have to get past my opponent on Saturday, and then we’ll see what the UFC thinks.”

His place in history secure, Anderson Silva aims to entertain at UFC 208

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – It’s a similar position to that which he faced seven months ago, coming in on short notice to help save a show. No problem, says Anderson Silva. Whatever it takes to help keep fans h read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2382 with Alex Garcia and Jarred Brooks

Stream or download Friday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Alex Garcia and Jarred Brooks.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Small-town Gavin Tucker aims to make a name for himself at UFC Fight Night 105

HALIFAX – Several years ago when featherweight Gavin Tucker moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia, he felt like a kid in the big city.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC's Alex Garcia wants to fight Colby Covington after botched fight booking

UFC welterweight Alex Garcia was supposed to fight Colby Covington this past June at UFC Fight Night 89. Ten days before the event, he told MMAjunkie Radio, he injured himself. But he’s still into th read news >>

Former champ Rafael dos Anjos putting in work at Freddie Roach's Wild Card Boxing Club, aims for summer return

Former UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos is busy plotting an assault on the promotion's welterweight division, and while he awaits his first assignment at 170 pounds, he's polishing up his ha read news >>

Bellator 174's Cody Pfister aims to start an MMA promotion that rivals UFC and Bellator

• a day ago

Bellator lightweight Cody Pfister has a new MMA home, and at the same time, he’s trying to make one for others. Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Tyron Woodley 'Not Concerned' About Stephen Thompson | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Welterweight champion Tyron Woodley retained his belt at UFC 205 in his first title defense against Stephen Thompson, but he didn't win the fight. read news >>

A chance meeting with ex-matchmaker Joe Silva helped lead ex-champ Frank Mir to UFC

• a day ago

A UFC fighter since 2001, former heavyweight champion Frank Mir recalls the lucky occasion in which now-retired matchmaker Joe Silva walked into his gym.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Unveils Frustrating Path Back from Knee Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping had been shooting for a spring return to the Octagon, but that timeline has been stretched a bit. read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down champ Woodley vs. Thompson 2 at UFC 209

• 23 hours ago

Ahead of UFC 209, UFC Fight Pass analyst Dan Hardy and broadcast partner John Gooden break down Saturday’s main event.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>