The Italian slugger clocked Cote with a big elbow early in the first round, dropping him to the canvas where he continued to reign blows down upon him.
After a couple of shots landed to the ear, Sakara continued to throw hammer fist after hammer fist with several of them landing to the back of Cote’s head. After several shots, referee Dan Miragliotta swooped in to stop the fight but after a confusing few minutes the end result was Sakara being disqualified for illegal shots to the back of the head, and Cote being handed the victory.
Following the bout, Sakara’s manager Lex McMahon of Alchemist MMA immediately came to his client’s aid asking the commission for a ruling on why the fight was ruled a disqualification when he believes the referee ultimately didn’t do his job this time around.
“In the heat of the moment, some of those blows did land to the back of the head, they were unintentional, and at no point was Alessio provided a warning. The action should have been stopped, Alessio should have been placed off to the side, and Patrick should have been given a chance to collect himself if those were in fact illegal blows. Dan didn’t do any of that,” McMahon told MMAWeekly Radio on Sunday.
While McMahon says that Miragliotta is typically a very good referee, in this instance he made a mistake, and it cost Sakara the fight.
Now with the fight already over, McMahon will file an appeal with the Quebec Athletic Commission on Monday requesting that the result be overturned either to a win for Sakara as originally ruled or into a no-contest. At that point, he’s hopeful the UFC will rematch Cote and Sakara in early 2013 in somewhere other than Canada.
“I want it on neutral territory, it’s obvious Alessio’s not going to get a fair shake in Canada,” said McMahon. “I think a great place would be London in February. That’s neutral territory for both guys. Makes a lot of sense.”
Check out the entire interview with McMahon below where he details the night’s events and what went down after the cameras stopped rolling:
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation informed Dustin Poirier the no-contest declared in his UFC 211 bout against Eddie Alvarez will stand. But Poirier’s rep is not giving up.Filed under: read news >>
The New York State Athletic Commission today rejected now-retired UFC light heavyweight title challenger Anthony Johnson’s appeal. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC president Dana White addresses Al Iaquinta's criticisms of the fight promotion and talks about his relationship with the No. 11 ranked lightweight. read news >>
Vitor Belfort has had plenty of rematches during his career, and after his victory over Nate Marquardt at UFC 212 earlier this month, he’s apparently down for anotherFiled under: News, UFC read news >>
While some fighters refuse to acknowledge or accept the reality of their situation as they prepare to once again enter the fray, Andrei Arlovski opts for brutal honesty instead as he prepares for Mar read news >>
Shortly following the Mayweather vs. McGregor bout becoming official, UFC president Dana White outlined some of the fight's specific details. read news >>
New details on the boxing match between [autotag]Floyd Mayweather[/autotag] and [autotag]Conor McGregor[/autotag] have surfaced after the mega-fight's confirmation earlier today. UFC President Dana W read news >>
Details regarding the purse split for the August 26 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor will not be made public anytime soon. According to MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani, Mayweather P read news >>
More details continue to trickle in for the Aug. 26 bout between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. The latest note is that the bout will be scheduled for 12 rounds, per Dan Rafael of ESPN.com. Wit read news >>
The UFC's quest for global appeal continues this weekend, as the Octagon lands in Singapore for Fight Night 111. While local fans will get a rare taste of top-flight mixed martial arts action, North read news >>