#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Conor McGregor #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Bellator MMA #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki

When Rory MacDonald withdrew from his March 16 rematch with Carlos Condit due to an injury, Johny Hendricks was happy to step in.

Ahead of the UFC 158 welterweight matchup, Hendricks joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss Condit, title shots and more.

On fighting Condit and possibly earning a title shot: “First off, I didn’t know I was going to be switching opponents. My manager and my coaches made that decision for me, which that’s what I wanted. But with the switch, Carlos Condit’s just coming off having the interim belt, fighting GSP, and if I can get a win against him, that should overlook anybody else in the division. It should make it to where there can’t be anybody else.”

On taking the fight: “When a big opportunity comes to fight somebody like Carlos Condit, win or lose, I want to make sure I’m trying to put myself out there as much as possible and do the best I can. Because my whole thought process is that I don’t have to go out there and destroy people. That’s not my thought process at all whenever I go into a fight. My thought process is that everybody’s going to be 100-percent hard to fight.”

On making a statement against Condit: “The thing is, he’s just coming off the GSP loss. That’s still fresh in everybody’s mind. If I can do something that GSP couldn’t, no matter what it is, then that should also show I’m ready for the next step.”

On learning how title shots work and who gets them: “You start to look at how you have to get that title shot. What do you have to do? You have to get your name out there. You have to be doing this, you have to do this, and one thing I’ve learned is the more high-profile fights you do and the better your popularity grows, the more people want to see you do a title shot. Carlos Condit, he’s a great fighter. He’s coming off a title shot, and if I get a win, that’s going to boost my stock up to get the title shot and hopefully solidify it.”

On the role of being popular: “One thing I’ve realized is that winning is a big part of it but also having that backing. Just having that support behind you where, why did Nick Diaz get this fight [against St. Pierre at UFC 158]? It’s not because his record in the UFC is better than mine. It’s because people want to see that fight, right? If I understand that, now I’ve go to say, ‘OK, well, how do I get people wanting to see me fight GSP?’ Maybe I’ve got to take a chance, fight Carlos Condit? If I get a win, people are like, ‘Wait a minute, Carlos Condit just got beat by GSP. He’s fighting Johny Hendricks.’ That’s still fresh in their mind. If I beat Carlos Condit, however it may be, then they’re like, ‘Oh, he deserves that.’ That’s one thing I’ve noticed.”

On Jon Fitch getting cut: “There’s a couple of things I think. I don’t know what Jon Fitch and the UFC’s relationship is. That’s one thing. Have a good relationship with your employer. Second, you’ve got to go out there and fight your heart out every fight. That’s probably the best thing I learned because I was shocked. We all were. I found out about it whenever I was training today and we were like, ‘Whoa.’ They’re trying to clean up the division and probably let some new people in. It makes you think, ‘OK, I know how Jon Fitch fights. I can’t fight that way. Is that what got him fired?’ You start thinking, ‘What got him fired?’ And you try not to make the same mistake.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:33:40).

Galleries

Carlos Condit Fights

• a year ago

Rory MacDonald Fights

• a year ago

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Super Six - Fabricio Werdum’s Defining Moments

Fabricio Werdum hopes to move one step closer to a shot at regaining the crown when he faces Derrick Lewis at UFC 216. Read on for a look at six of his defining moments. read news >>

Rory MacDonald's all-caps Reddit AMA included a Robbie Lawler PED accusation

Former UFC welterweight title challenger and current Bellator contender Rory MacDonald didn’t hold back during today’s Reddit AMA.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding to fight Gilbert Melendez at UFC 215

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding, which is why he hopes to make Gilbert Melendez’s first night as a featherweight miserable.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

A game of inches, a questionable decision, and an uncertain future for the women's 135-pound class

Valentina Shevchenko couldn’t understand how she lost. Amanda Nunes couldn’t seem to see how anybody could think she didn’t win. The result is a division in doubt, and just a little over a year after read news >>

Champ Tyron Woodley responds to Rafael dos Anjos' callout, has eye on Bisping-GSP winner

Champ Tyron Woodley doesn’t appear interested in granting UFC 215 winner Rafael dos Anjos the next UFC welterweight title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

GSP Meets His Childhood Bully on the Street, Turns His Life Around

Georges St-Pierre wasn’t always the great warrior he is today. In fact, the warrior spirit that pushed him to become the greatest welterweight of all time, and to soon return for a middleweight title read news >>

Luke Rockhold Punishes David Branch into Submission, Sends Warning to GSP | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold had to survive an early flurry from David Branch but he powered back in the second round to get a submission due to strikes in the main event at UFC Fight Night in Pittsburgh Official r read news >>

If Michael Bisping really does retire after GSP fight, how will we remember him?

Michael Bisping teased a possible retirement after his fight with Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217. But if his title reign and career both end without even an attempted defense against a middleweight con read news >>

Return of 'The Natural Born Killer': Carlos Condit lobbies for UFC fight in December or January

Former interim welterweight champ Carlos Condit emerged on Twitter with a request for UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Carlos Condit Ready to Book His Return Fight to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Carlos Condit is looking for a fight. The former UFC interim welterweight champion, who has been out of action since August 2016, dropped a message on Twitter to matchmaker Sean Shelby letting him kn read news >>