#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Jon Jones #Conor McGregor #Justin Gaethje #Heroes of Honor #Kevin Lee #Alexander Gustafsson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Daniel Cormier #Nate Diaz #Tony Ferguson #UFC 217

After 'slugging it out like a meathead' at UFC Fight Night 106, Gian Villante to adopt 'Shogun' mentality'

FORTALEZA, Brazil – Gian Villante’s desire to have a fun fight with Mauricio Rua was fulfilled at UFC Fight Night 106. Unfortunately for Villante, though, coming out on the losing end of it wasn’t part of his vision.

Villante’s (15-8 MMA, 5-5 UFC) matchup with former UFC champ Rua (25-10 MMA, 9-8 UFC) in Saturday’s FS1-televised co-headliner at Centro de Formacao Olimpica do Nordeste in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil, was contested almost entirely on the feet. Both sides had their moments, but in the end “Shogun” scored a third-round TKO victory.

The opportunity to fight an ex-UFC titleholder and a legend of the sport does not come around often. Villante said he enjoyed the experience, but he said he knows his chance of winning would’ve been better if he taken even a slightly more tactical approach.

“It was what I expected; I saw what I thought I was going to see,” Villante said. “Respect to him for sure. It’s what I expected, but I don’t know. I think I hesitated a little bit too much. I felt good. I felt like I was hurting him when I was throwing with good punches and stuff like that. Then I just kind of let my head get in there and stopped kicking. I didn’t kick. I didn’t wrestle. I just went in there and started slugging like a meathead.

“It is what it is. It’s tough to deal with right now, but I’ll be back for sure. I know I hit hard. I know I can take a shot.”

Although his chat with reporters came just minutes after a hard-fought clash, Villante said the mistakes that led to his defeat were obvious to him right away. He allowed Rua to get into an offensive groove while Villante didn’t apply the pressure needed to win the type of fight he was in.

“Anytime he hurt me, he kept going, but anytime I hurt him, I stopped,” Villante said. “That was the difference in the fight.”

Villante admitted he faces an internal battle when he fights: take a smart and more measured approach to the bout, or go with his instinct and get in a brawl, even if it’s not to his advantage. He went with the latter at UFC Fight Night 106 and paid the price, but that might not always be the case going forward.

Having alternated wins and losses over his past six UFC appearances,Villante said his style isn’t conducive to consistent success in the light-heavyweight division. Villante may be satisfied with being a fighter who can be relied on to deliver an entertaining affair each time he steps in the octagon, but if he wants more than that, he knows some adjustments need to be made going forward.

“I enjoy the slugfest stuff, and I think I can win most of the time; I just got to get a little bit smarter, be a little bit more aggressive and get that ‘Shogun’ mentality a little bit more and be more aggressive in there, and then I think a lot of these wins will start coming my way,” Villante said. “I don’t think I need to wrestle as much. It’s not as fun to me. It’s boring. I want fun fights. I want to hear that crowd, even if they’re telling me to die.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 106, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Michel Prazeres moves to welterweight, meets Zak Cummings at UFC Fight Night 129

After multiple failed weight cuts, Michel Prazeres has been forced out of the lightweight division and up to welterweight for his next bout. read news >>

Ben Saunders Steps in to Face Jake Ellenberger at UFC Fight Night 131 | MMAWeekly.com

An injury has forced Bryan Barberena out of his June 1 bout against Jake Ellenberger. Ben "Killa B" Saunders will now face Ellenberger in Utica, New York. read news >>

Jessica Eye meets Jessica-Rose Clark at UFC Fight Night 132 in Singapore

A women’s flyweight bout between Jessica Eye and Jessica-Rose Clark is the latest addition to June’s UFC Fight Night 132 lineup. read news >>

Neil Magny: 'The stage is set' to make statement against Gunnar Nelson at UFC Fight Night 130

May represents a critical month for the UFC welterweight division, and Neil Magny is eager to make his mark at UFC Fight Night 130. read news >>

Frankie Edgar rematch at UFC Fight Night 128 was last thing Cub Swanson expected

Of all the losses Cub Swanson wanted to avenge, ex-champ Frankie Edgar was low on the list before UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

Kevin Lee Misses Weight at UFC Fight Night 128 Weigh-ins | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC Fight Night 128: Barboza vs. Lee features two fighters that are trying to rebound from a loss to make their case for a shot at the UFC lightweight championship. They and the remainder of the athl read news >>

Edson Barboza 'very motivated' for Kevin Lee with hopes for Khabib Nurmagomedov rematch after

Edson Barboza knows a highlight-reel win at UFC Fight Night 128 could create the buzz he needs to earn a rematch with the lightweight champ. read news >>

Robert Whittaker welcomes 'real annoying' Yoel Romero title rematch at UFC 225

Robert Whittaker says Yoel Romero “definitely solidified his place” as the No. 1 contender to his UFC middleweight title. read news >>

Illinois native Mike Santiago takes on Dan Ige at UFC 225 in Chicago

Mike Santiago will have a chance to turn things around in front of a home crowd. read news >>

Why Michael Chiesa picks Khabib Nurmagomedov to beat Tony Ferguson at UFC 223

UFC lightweight Michael Chiesa admires the heck out of colleague Tony Ferguson – but still thinks “El Cucuy” will lose to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223. read news >>

Frankie Edgar 'Comfortable' with Quick Turnaround After KO Loss | MMAWeekly.com

On March 3, at UFC 222, former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar was finished for the first time in his 13-year mixed martial arts career by Brian Ortega. Ortega hurt Edgar with an elbow and then fl read news >>

Dustin Poirier: Justin Gaethje fight at UFC on FOX 29 'can be as hard or as easy as I make it'

Dustin Poirier believs he’s the “superior skilled fighter” against Justin Gaethje in the UFC on FOX 29 headliner. read news >>

Michael Bisping 'Definitely Interested' In Retirement Fight at UFC Event in Liverpool | MMAWeekly.com

If the UFC needs to add another marquee fight to the upcoming card in Liverpool, England, Michael Bisping is ready and willing to step up to the challenge. The former UFC middleweight champion has go read news >>

Vitor Belfort still retiring after 'epic moment' at UFC 224, but won't entirely shut door on return

As he prepares to step away from MMA, former UFC champ Vitor Belfort is not concerned about what people will make of his legacy. read news >>

Jessica-Rose Clark Expected to Face Jessica Eye at UFC in Singapore | MMAWeekly.com

A women's flyweight showdown between Jessica-Rose Clark and Jessica Eye is currently in the works for the UFC's upcoming return to Singapore on June 23. read news >>

Conor who? Tony Ferguson wants a fight with Georges St-Pierre, not McGregor

If Tony Ferguson wins at UFC 223, a fight with Conor McGregor would be logical. But it’s not the fight in which he’s most interested. read news >>

Upcoming Fights